Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

Re: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

I thought this was inevitable. For a coach that prides himself on integrity, Tressel went completely against everything he supposedly stood for and really seriously screwed the pooch. There was no way he could go into any recruit's living room, look Mom and Dad in the eye, and say "you can trust me to do the right thing for your son". No. Way.

He's been dead-man-walking since the Sugar Bowl. From his body language and comments at the end of that game, I think he knew the fecal storm was coming and there was no way for him not to get out of this with his reputation and character intact.

And I think they go with Luke Fickell for this year. And then all the big names get rumored to come to OSU in 2012 and the rumor mill will be blasting away full-steam. It still will be one of the top 5 college coaching jobs in the country.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I thought this was inevitable. For a coach that prides himself on integrity, Tressel went completely against everything he supposedly stood for and really seriously screwed the pooch. There was no way he could go into any recruit's living room, look Mom and Dad in the eye, and say "you can trust me to do the right thing for your son". No. Way.

He's been dead-man-walking since the Sugar Bowl. From his body language and comments at the end of that game, I think he knew the fecal storm was coming and there was no way for him not to get out of this with his reputation and character intact.

And I think they go with Luke Fickell for this year. And then all the big names get rumored to come to OSU in 2012 and the rumor mill will be blasting away full-steam. It still will be one of the top 5 college coaching jobs in the country.
    Certainly he made an err in judgment. But actually, it's the opposite: he can go in the living room of folks and say he stands up for his players -- which he absolutely did.

There's no question he made a mistake. It's actually the lying about whether or not he knew in December that was probably his downfall. But he fell on the sword to protect his players... in a thespian sort of way, that's actually very admirable and should be a testament to his dedication to them.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

As far as SeaRay calling out the "homers". Nothing has changed just like Brutus said. I have said before that I think Tressel, needed to go. I am inclined to believe that unless another bombshell comes forward, and to this point one really hasn't other than some icky car deals. (Which supposedly was already cleared.) The story hasn't really changed.

I know this, I support Ohio State. I root for the university, the team, and the players on the field. I won't pull out and run like some other fans did from their team. I will support my interim coach, and whoever becomes the full time coach next season. There won't be any extra angst over the issue.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    We've had a thousand or so posts on this and for all this time the OSU homers around here (you know who you are) have contended that OSU will not suffer any further penalties other than what they'd already self imposed.

It's great to be a homer and all--I know about this stuff with UT-Knoxville-- but it's important not to let your loyalty to your program get in the way of reality.

OSU has already suffered greatly in losing a wonderful coach and that means really bad things have been uncovered. I hope the OSU fans around here at least accept a fact they didn't a few months ago:

That OSU is in big, big trouble.
    It's really unfair for you to call anyone out for their opinion a few months ago.If the story had ended with Tressel lying to the NCAA I believe I'd of been correct and you would've been wrong.Not really any point in arguing it because we'll really never know.

I'm not going to speculate about what's in the upcoming SI article but the arthur of the story claimed on twitter today that Tressel calling it quits will make more sense once that information does come out.Not to mention all the other little things that have come out the last few months.

Tressel was certainly my all time favorite OSU coach.He wasn't perfect on or off the field but he is a good man.He's made some mistakes though.I will miss the guy being on the sideline but this program will move on.

610 WTVN mentioning that NCAA has opened separate investigation of improper benefits to Terrelle Pryor. Apparently this is the focus of SI article coming. That would be the bombshell.

If that is the case, they will have serious sanctions placed on the team.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Certainly he made an err in judgment. But actually, it's the opposite: he can go in the living room of folks and say he stands up for his players -- which he absolutely did.

There's no question he made a mistake. It's actually the lying about whether or not he knew in December that was probably his downfall. But he fell on the sword to protect his players... in a thespian sort of way, that's actually very admirable and should be a testament to his dedication to them.

I can certainly understand standing up for his players and doing what he can to protect them. I know he's loyal to his guys and treats them like family.

But when the NCAA comes knocking, it's time to come clean. That's the fatal blow to his integrity IMHO. He lied straight-faced to the NCAA. You just can't do that. You make a run-of-the-mill player violation into something a lot bigger.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I can certainly understand standing up for his players and doing what he can to protect them. I know he's loyal to his guys and treats them like family.

But when the NCAA comes knocking, it's time to come clean. That's the fatal blow to his integrity IMHO. He lied straight-faced to the NCAA. You just can't do that. You make a run-of-the-mill player violation into something a lot bigger.
    It's like lying to your wife, it's a bigger wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    It's really unfair for you to call anyone out for their opinion a few months ago.If the story had ended with Tressel lying to the NCAA I believe I'd of been correct and you would've been wrong.Not really any point in arguing it because we'll really never know.

I'm not going to speculate about what's in the upcoming SI article but the arthur of the story claimed on twitter today that Tressel calling it quits will make more sense once that information does come out.Not to mention all the other little things that have come out the last few months.

Tressel was certainly my all time favorite OSU coach.He wasn't perfect on or off the field but he is a good man.He's made some mistakes though.I will miss the guy being on the sideline but this program will move on.
    There are some critical facts still yet to become public knowledge so you're right about calling scoreboard.

That said, something has had to have changed for OSU and Tressel to go from being steadfast and appearing to be planning for a long future together to deciding their relationship was no longer tenable for the sake of the program.

I hope for the sake of devout OSU fans who are deeply passionate about their program in part because of the way OSU approaches it's business this is just about Tressel and his AD deciding that the lying story isn't going to go away but rather it's just gonna focus the hubble telescope on the program (no program can be squeaky clean under that kind of scrutiny because it's too easy to break the rules with the best of intentions) so Tressel is going out with grace rather then in a furry of deepening scandal. But make no mistake, Tressel lying to the NCAA is what has focused the hubble on Columbus. This really isn't him taking one for the team. Hopefully, this is Tressel taking responsibility in keeping with his books/public persona (rather than a disappointing reveal into his closet).
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    610 WTVN mentioning that NCAA has opened separate investigation of improper benefits to Terrelle Pryor. Apparently this is the focus of SI article coming. That would be the bombshell.

Dispatch confirms: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...05/30/zzz.html Guess this explains why the TPeezy2 Twitter account has been so quiet lately. He supplied the straw that broke the camel's back.

The NCAA and the Ohio State University's compliance office are conducting an independent investigation of Terrelle Pryor amid allegations that the star quarterback may have received cars and other extra benefits, sources told The Dispatch today.

Pryor has been questioned by OSU compliance officials in the past, but sources said this is the most significant inquiry to date. He already has been interviewed at least once by investigators within the past few weeks, sources said.

Pryor and the cars he drives have been an issue since he arrived on campus three years ago. Pryor has been connected to more than a half dozen vehicles during his time at Ohio State, according to sources.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 05-30-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    It's like lying to your wife, it's a bigger wrong.
    And hell hath no furry like a scorned woman...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    I disagree. Fickell is in a great position.

He's all of 38 years old (my age - graduated from a rival HS the same year I did) and just got handed the keys to one of the top 10-15 football programs in America. He has a roster of 5 recruiting classes including a stout group of incoming freshmen. He has a good staff of assistants, and a schedule that's conducive to him putting up a solid season regardless of the suspensions. He gets Penn State and Wisconsin at home.

There's no way he flops. None. Short of going 0-fer, he's going to end up on his feet somewhere.

I think the biggest question is what happens if the 2011 Buckeyes put together a 9+ win season? Does OSU still pull the trigger and go after Urban Meyer? Or maybe they just "lucked" (and I use that term very loosely) into finding the guy who's going to lead the program for the next quarter century.
    If Pryor's college career is over, which is looking like a distinct possibility, I don't believe a 9+ win season is in the cars... er, cards. 7 wins might even be pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post

My understanding of the article from someone at OSU (though who has not seen the article directly) is that the focus will be more on the 'culture' at Ohio State than specific new allegations. The article's not going to bring much new to the table by way of things pertaining to the NCAA, from what I understand. I could be mistaken, but I suppose we'll soon see.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    My understanding of the article from someone at OSU (though who has not seen the article directly) is that the focus will be more on the 'culture' at Ohio State than specific new allegations. The article's not going to bring much new to the table by way of things pertaining to the NCAA, from what I understand. I could be mistaken, but I suppose we'll soon see.
    I hope your right.It wouldn't surprise me if you were considering that all of these reporters seem to keep spinning the same old story as some new breaking story of new violations.It seems to be a monthly occurrence that OSU makes the front page of espn.com for a few days and it's basically the same thing from the month before.

As an aside, that SI article is supposed to go live here between 7:30 and 8 PM EST

I hope one of the lessons learned by all of this is that players like Terrelle Pryor are just not worth what comes with them. Let them go somewhere else.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?