Turn Off Ads?
Page 52 of 66 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

Re: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I They rarely play a team that can beat them and when they play out of conference against a good team, they rarely won.
    The Redszone King of Hyperbole strikes again.

In the Tressel era, OSU played 12 non-conference BCS teams in the regular season, going 8-4 in those games. In nine of those games, the opponents were ranked. OSU went 5-4 in those games (4-4 as the Miami game was vacated).

I guess you have a different definition of "rarely" than most people.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Actually my point was there were precious few games in college football that garnered interest in the first two weeks.
    You must have been watching too much Big Ten football then 'cause outside of that conference there were quite a few good ones

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    The Redszone King of Hyperbole strikes again.

In the Tressel era, OSU played 12 non-conference BCS teams in the regular season, going 8-4 in those games. In nine of those games, the opponents were ranked. OSU went 5-4 in those games (4-4 as the Miami game was vacated).

I guess you have a different definition of "rarely" than most people.
    Yeah, I guess my problem is I keep comparing them to the SEC and that's not fair

You must have been watching too much Big Ten football then 'cause outside of that conference there were quite a few good ones
    I went through the first two weeks of the season and listed the marquee games or games played by BCS conference schools. The SEC played in 6 of these games while the Big 10 in 5. Hardly a difference to knock the Big 10 for not scheduling anybody while lauding for SEC for going out of conference.

Boise St. v Georgia
    LSU v Oregon
    UT v UC
    PSU v Alabama
    Michigan v Notre Dame
    Texas v BYU
    Minnesota v USC
    BYU v Old Miss
    Northwestern v BC
    Arizona v Oklahoma St.
    Missouri v Arizona St.
    Wisconsin v Oregon St.
    UNC v Rutgers
    USF v ND
    Vandy v UConn

I went through the first two weeks of the season and listed the marquee games or games played by BCS conference schools. The SEC played in 6 of these games while the Big 10 in 5. Hardly a difference to knock the Big 10 for not scheduling anybody while lauding for SEC for going out of conference.

Boise St. v Georgia
    LSU v Oregon
    UT v UC
    PSU v Alabama
    Michigan v Notre Dame
    Texas v BYU
    Minnesota v USC
    BYU v Old Miss
    Northwestern v BC
    Arizona v Oklahoma St.
    Missouri v Arizona St.
    Wisconsin v Oregon St.
    UNC v Rutgers
    USF v ND
    Vandy v UConn
    Really? You're interested in seeing USC-Minn? Wisc-Ore St?NW-BC? To each their own. I'd definitely watch PSU-Ala and ND-UM, but that's it for the B10. I also was very interested in BSU-UGa, UT-UC, Texas-BYU, LSU-Ore and USF-ND because it's ND. I think that's a lot of good games for weeks 1-2 which is why I disagreed with your comment that "there were precious few games in college football that garnered interest in the first two weeks".

Really? You're interested in seeing USC-Minn? Wisc-Ore St?NW-BC? To each their own. I'd definitely watch PSU-Ala and ND-UM, but that's it for the B10. I also was very interested in BSU-UGa, UT-UC, Texas-BYU, LSU-Ore and USF-ND because it's ND. I think that's a lot of good games for weeks 1-2 which is why I disagreed with your comment that "there were precious few games in college football that garnered interest in the first two weeks".
    Your talking in circles here. You were talking earlier about how there were no compelling Big 10 games and then you mention two of them. You go on to list 3 SEC games that were compelling. I just don't really understand your point of bashing the Big 10.

FWIW Wisc and Oregon St. would have been a game I would have tuned into. I think Wisc is a very underrated team that has a chance to make it to the BCS title game.

Your talking in circles here. You were talking earlier about how there were no compelling Big 10 games and then you mention two of them. You go on to list 3 SEC games that were compelling. I just don't really understand your point of bashing the Big 10.

FWIW Wisc and Oregon St. would have been a game I would have tuned into. I think Wisc is a very underrated team that has a chance to make it to the BCS title game.
    Did I say there were no compelling Big Ten games? No compelling games in week 1 IMO but the two I mentioned were in wk 2. What's inconsistent? You admit that I mentioned at least two so it seems to me that I'm being quite consistent:

Where are the compelling games? As a fan, what game did you want to watch in week one? How 'bout last week? I see none from week one and two from last week, (PSU/AL and UM/ND)
    I agree with you on Wisc. I just don't think Ore St is worth a darn thus why watch? Wisc gains nothing by beating them.

I'm looking at this solely as a college football fan. Next week is another bummer for the Big Ten. The best games are 0-2 Colorado-OSU and SD ST-UM. Whereas the SEC has ARK-AL, LSU-WVa, UGa-Ol Miss and FL-KY is often a dogfight.

Maybe the issue is that the Big Ten doesn't spread out their good games, I don't know, but so far this yr there are very few B10 games among the games worth watching. Most people only have time to watch two or three games on any given Sat. Would these B10 matchups be one of those games? This week, I am interested in seeing MSU-ND and OSU-Miami even though Miami might not be any good this yr.

I'm looking at this solely as a college football fan.

No, you're looking at it as an SEC fan. The average college football fan could care less about Tennessee vs. UC, yet try to pass it off as an interesting match-up. I would feel pretty comfortable in saying that USC-Minnesota had much better ratings than UT/UC. Now your trying to include (1-1) Ole Miss vs. (0-2) Georgia and Florida playing a mediocre at best Kentucky team.

I'm looking at this solely as a college football fan. Next week is another bummer for the Big Ten. The best games are 0-2 Colorado-OSU and SD ST-UM. Whereas the SEC has ARK-AL, LSU-WVa, UGa-Ol Miss and FL-KY is often a dogfight.

Maybe the issue is that the Big Ten doesn't spread out their good games, I don't know, but so far this yr there are very few B10 games among the games worth watching. Most people only have time to watch two or three games on any given Sat. Would these B10 matchups be one of those games? This week, I am interested in seeing MSU-ND and OSU-Miami even though Miami might not be any good this yr.
    Those are all inter-conference games because the SEC starts it earlier. Check back in November when the Big Ten is in conference play and Auburn is playing Samford...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Those are all inter-conference games because the SEC starts it earlier. Check back in November when the Big Ten is in conference play and Auburn is playing Samford...
    And we have a winner. Like I posted earlier, check out the SEC's November 19th slate of games.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    No, you're looking at it as an SEC fan. The average college football fan could care less about Tennessee vs. UC, yet try to pass it off as an interesting match-up. I would feel pretty comfortable in saying that USC-Minnesota had much better ratings than UT/UC. Now your trying to include (1-1) Ole Miss vs. (0-2) Georgia and Florida playing a mediocre at best Kentucky team.
    Rat, tell me what compelling Big10 games have you seen this year?

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Um, when do we get to start an tOSU football thread where we actually talk about the current Buckeye football team and stop the sniping at one another about which conference is the best or how good of a coach Tressel was for tOSU? Just wondering because I keep checking back here thinking people are finally talking a little more about the current season and I haven't seen much of that yet.

BTW-Didn't see it posted yet but the three players who ended up ineligible for the first two games are now eligible again and should play vs. Miami this weekend.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Most of the interesting games you mentioned are conference games. The Big 10 starts its conference season later than the SEC. But its apparent you are an SEC fan. There isn't anything wrong with that, just a different taste in football games. The FL-KY game really has nothing to interest me. Florida is down and UK has been a historical doormat in the SEC. The Colorado OSU has more interest than any other game of the week because that is my team. UGA and Ol Miss really doesn't garner much interest for me unless its Richt's last stand. But even at that its two lesser SEC teams doing battle.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Um, when do we get to start an tOSU football thread where we actually talk about the current Buckeye football team and stop the sniping at one another about which conference is the best or how good of a coach Tressel was for tOSU? Just wondering because I keep checking back here thinking people are finally talking a little more about the current season and I haven't seen much of that yet.
    And you've been on RedsZone how long?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?