Turn Off Ads?
Page 53 of 66 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

Re: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Um, when do we get to start an tOSU football thread where we actually talk about the current Buckeye football team and stop the sniping at one another about which conference is the best or how good of a coach Tressel was for tOSU? Just wondering because I keep checking back here thinking people are finally talking a little more about the current season and I haven't seen much of that yet.

BTW-Didn't see it posted yet but the three players who ended up ineligible for the first two games are now eligible again and should play vs. Miami this weekend.
    And yet somehow we will still have more suspended players than Miami...

Linsley will also be back which should help with some Oline depth. Hall has already been inserted as RB1. Hyde has been fine, but Hall I think is a game changer.

On the bad news front Nathan Williams had his knee scoped on Wednesday and is "out indefinately". Didn't sound major, but certainly won't be playing this weekend.

As far as the side conversation goes in this thread I find SEC football to be almost unwatchable. I think part of that has to do with the CBS production value, but I find most of the games boring. There are a few games a year I do like to watch (Bama/Auburn, Florida/Georgia, a few others), but mostly I don't find it enjoyable. Most college football fans have a rooting interest that influences what games you want to watch or don't want to watch. I would have much rather watched Wisconsin blow out Oregon State than watch Auburn/Miss St last weekend. There isn't a team in college football that has some surperior schedule to others. It's just a matter of taste.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Most of the interesting games you mentioned are conference games. The Big 10 starts its conference season later than the SEC. But its apparent you are an SEC fan. There isn't anything wrong with that, just a different taste in football games. The FL-KY game really has nothing to interest me. Florida is down and UK has been a historical doormat in the SEC. The Colorado OSU has more interest than any other game of the week because that is my team. UGA and Ol Miss really doesn't garner much interest for me unless its Richt's last stand. But even at that its two lesser SEC teams doing battle.
    I agree that the UK-FL and Ga-Ol Miss games are probably just for SEC followers.

I went to school both at UT-Knoxville and OSU and there are a lot more compelling games to watch in the South. UT had its traditional rival in Alabama. They play every year. Ga was a border rival as is Kentucky although I will say UT doesn't care much about UK. However, Vandy is a big rival for UT because they're in the same state. Florida is usually the team they have to beat to win the SEC East. Spurrier is at SC thus that is also a big game.

At Ohio St we had Mich and usually one other Big10 team that's having a good yr. Could be Iowa, Wisc or nowadays PSU, but that's about it. OSU doesn't care about NW, Indiana, Minny, Ill or Purdue. Those games don't generate the hate that Ga, FL, Auburn and SC do in Knoxville.

So maybe you're right that the delay in the Big10 season is a real for the lack of compelling games. My buddies who live in Oregon and Wash State have no interest in OSU-Miami. You and I do because we have a rooting interest in OSU but as a recruit or a general football fan the Big 10 is boring

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Those are all inter-conference games because the SEC starts it earlier. Check back in November when the Big Ten is in conference play and Auburn is playing Samford...
    OSU plays Purdue for its homecoming game.... is that really any different than playing Samford?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I would have much rather watched Wisconsin blow out Oregon State than watch Auburn/Miss St last weekend. There isn't a team in college football that has some surperior schedule to others. It's just a matter of taste.
    That's crazy on so many levels. First, there is NOTHING more boring than watching unequally matched college football teams. I'd literally rather watch Rosanne Barr pick her toenails. Second, the Auburn/MSU game from last week was about as fun from start to finish as a college football game could get from the incredible atmosphere to the hard hits, the back and forth, to the game ending in the final second with about half an inch determining the winner. Heck even the eagle got the snot knocked out of him.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I would have much rather watched Wisconsin blow out Oregon State than watch Auburn/Miss St last weekend.
    So you'd rather watch an overmatched Ore St team get shut out by Wisc than a 41-34 game that goes down to the last play between two teams headed for Bowl games? OK

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    So you'd rather watch an overmatched Ore St team get shut out by Wisc than a 41-34 game that goes down to the last play between two teams headed for Bowl games? OK
    I watched the end of the game because it was a good game. I do the same thing when Ball State plays Buffalo on a Tuesday.

Going into the games, yes I was more interested in watching Wisconsin. Like I said it is a matter of taste. You two are SEC fans. Obviously you can more about SEC games. I don't care about a single game Tennesee plays this year.

Also I don't think you mentioned the 3 OT thriller between Iowa/Iowa St in games that didn't interest you.

Rat, tell me what compelling Big10 games have you seen this year?
    You keep bringing up the word compelling. In reality a lot of the more compelling games start out as being afterthoughts. The Minnesota USC game came down to Minnesota having the ball late in the with a chance to win. The Utah St. Auburn game was thought to be a snoozer until Utah St. almost won. The UC UT game may have had more billing than the two previously mentioned games but they weren't compelling in the least bit.

I watched the end of the game because it was a good game. I do the same thing when Ball State plays Buffalo on a Tuesday.

Going into the games, yes I was more interested in watching Wisconsin. Like I said it is a matter of taste. You two are SEC fans. Obviously you can more about SEC games. I don't care about a single game Tennesee plays this year.

Also I don't think you mentioned the 3 OT thriller between Iowa/Iowa St in games that didn't interest you.
    A helluva game. It's embarassing for the Big10 but it sure beats the heck out of Wisc/Ore St

I've got ties to Oregon State and the Pac10 and there is no way I wanted to watch the Beaver game. The games from last week that I was most looking forward to were Auburn/MSU (obviously), Georgia/SC, and ND/Michigan. As luck would have it, all three were really fun games. The Iowa/iSU game is generally good given the rivalry but neither team is really up and it just wasn't going to get me to not pay attention to Auburn. People tried hard to ill the Alabama/PSU game as compelling but PSU lays too many eggs over the last decade.

Very weak as is using the "hater" comment. As soon as I saw that I knew he had nothing to say
    Throwing in the smiley face should've let all know that I wasn't being a pompous you know what with that comment. My apologies if it was misunderstood to be anything more than a joke.

And some of you can pretend the Sugar Bowl never happened if you would like. I'll choose to remember the actual game.

I'm not denying the fact that we screwed up. Rules were broken, we deserved to be punished. But are people forgetting the NCAA allowed the ineligible players to play in this bowl game?
    Last edited by cincrazy; 09-15-2011 at 04:30 PM.

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Well this thread got stupid.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Throwing in the smiley face should've let all know that I wasn't being a pompous you know what with that comment. My apologies if it was misunderstood to be anything more than a joke.

And some of you can pretend the Sugar Bowl never happened if you would like. I'll choose to remember the actual game.

I'm not denying the fact that we screwed up. Rules were broken, we deserved to be punished. But are people forgetting the NCAA allowed the ineligible players to play in this bowl game?
    The game happened. It just doesn't count for OSU. It's proof that Tressel could assemble the talent to win big BCS games and he could coach them to a win. But it's also proof that he had to break some pretty serious rules in order to o it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Well this thread got stupid.
    Can set your watch to the SEC police coming into every college football thread making sure everyone else knows about SEC superiority, even a thread about a specific team in another conference. It's ruined any chance of decent college football talk on this forum.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Can set your watch to the SEC police coming into every college football thread making sure everyone else knows about SEC superiority, even a thread about a specific team in another conference. It's ruined any chance of decent college football talk on this forum.
    I haven't contributed to such an argument and think there is plenty of decent college football talk in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The game happened. It just doesn't count for OSU. It's proof that Tressel could assemble the talent to win big BCS games and he could coach them to a win. But it's also proof that he had to break some pretty serious rules in order to o it.
    I totally agree with that.

Turn Off Ads?