Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 66 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

Re: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

ESPN reporting that the NCAA and OSU today has begun an investigation into possible improper benefits given to Pryor.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6608432

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    ESPN reporting that the NCAA and OSU today has begun an investigation into possible improper benefits given to Pryor.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6608432
    We now know that Tressel has coached his last game for Ohio State. It's looking more and more like Pryor has taken his last snap already for Ohio State. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a couple others that are not permitted to play again. This is going to be a huge stinky dung storm. I'm not sure if they'll stop uncovering things by the time the hearing takes place in August. I've been told by several friends who have connections to the Ohio State program that things are going to get A LOT worse before the final decision is made by the NCAA.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    We now know that Tressel has coached his last game for Ohio State. It's looking more and more like Pryor has taken his last snap already for Ohio State. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a couple others that are not permitted to play again. This is going to be a huge stinky dung storm. I'm not sure if they'll stop uncovering things by the time the hearing takes place in August. I've been told by several friends who have connections to the Ohio State program that things are going to get A LOT worse before the final decision is made by the NCAA.
    I would not be surprised if that hearing gets delayed past August if they keep uncovering new violations. The NCAA took several years on the USC Reggie Bush case before they came down with those sanctions. All signs are this is going to be really ugly at OSU the Pryor investigation I have a feeling is going to end up bringing the worst sanctions to the OSU program.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    As an aside, that SI article is supposed to go live here between 7:30 and 8 PM EST
    The latest update on this is the SI article won't go up until the SI print edition is finalized tonight. Apparently this OSU investigation SI did is the cover story and after they finish putting the magazine together tonight the story will go up on SI.com. So probably either later tonight or tomorrow the story will be out.

The SI article has now been posted online:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...sel/index.html

I didn't go too extensively through the article, but it doesn't seem to be much new in there. The article suggests that improper benefits were more widespread over a longer period of time than previously acknowledged, but I didn't see a bombshell.
    Last edited by paintmered; 05-30-2011 at 09:20 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I didn't go too extensively through the article, but it doesn't seem to be much new in there. The article suggests that improper benefits were more widespread over a longer period of time than previously acknowledged, but I didn't see a bombshell.
    Yeah it really was nothing more than some things that were obviously true. The article could be another tug on the loose thread, but it's not that big of a deal.

The story about Tressel rigging a raffle is pretty hilarious, though.

Unnamed sources and named convicted felons as the sources. That was weak for some alleged bombshell.

Mind you, a lot of the stuff is probably true, but most of the article is a combination of supposition, allegations that were already well established and pure rhetoric. In terms of investigative journalism, that was pretty much a dud.

The whole raffle thing is pretty ridiculous. Assault a man's character and the best you can do is an unnamed source? Meh.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    No not too much.Basically the bombshell is supposed to be that there was a large number of athletes trading stuff for tattoos and that it has been going on since 2002.Some crackhead(forgive me for the brief summary but basically that's what it sounds like the guy is)is their big source.

I can't imagine that this article alone caused Tressel and OSU to part ways.I just think they've both given in to the idea that the media isn't going to let this all go and maybe they shouldn't.

It's getting to be frustrating as a fan that these big stories keep coming out and they're all basically all saying the same thing.It's almost like the media just want's to make sure no one forgets and every time they remind us OSU fans have to put up with some guy telling us they told us so.Tell me something new please.

LOL at George Dohrmann, who is trying to take credit for Tressel resigning. That article was extremely weak.

If that's all there is (still a big if), no way OSU comes anywhere close to USC punishment. They MAY get a postseason ban this year, but other than forfeiting last year's wins and losing recruiting privileges, that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    No not too much.Basically the bombshell is supposed to be that there was a large number of athletes trading stuff for tattoos and that it has been going on since 2002.
    And I'm pretty sure selling your own stuff wasn't illegal until 2006, so a good deal of Dorhmann's timeline is made up of things that were perfectly legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    If Pryor's college career is over, which is looking like a distinct possibility, I don't believe a 9+ win season is in the cars... er, cards. 7 wins might even be pushing it.
    As an OSU alum and fan I want nothing to do with Pryor again. The man has been trouble ever since he set foot on campus and IMO was the cause of Tressel's demise. He was a prima dona college athlete that in the end caused more trouble and hassle that he was worth. I hope the university wishes him good riddence and decides to head in a new direction next year.

Its already looking like next year will be a rebuilding season. Not only do they have their usual schedule, the Big Ten schedule as we'll as a trip down to Miami, they also have Nebraska on the schedule this year. It may be time to anoint Braxton Miller the next QB and head in that direction. I definatley don't want to see Pryor take any snaps next year. And all the other 5 tattoo idiots should't be allowed on the field again.

As for the head coach I really want to see what Fickel can do. He had been mentioned as a hot candidate over the past few seasons. I don't really want to see Meyer at OSU or even Stoops for that matter. I would prefer Pelini who was a defensive captain at OSU.

If i've read the article correctly, we know that the NCAA is investigating Prior and his links to cars, the NCAA is investigating 50 separate car purchases related to the OSU football program, and the NCAA is investigating a businessman with close ties to Pryor presumably relating to Pryor's recruitment.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but has it been officially acknowledged that the NCAA is formally investigating these issues? I was under the impression that OSU was looking into them... There's a big difference between the NCAA formally investigating and the university doing fact finding.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Unnamed sources and named convicted felons as the sources. That was weak for some alleged bombshell.

Mind you, a lot of the stuff is probably true, but most of the article is a combination of supposition, allegations that were already well established and pure rhetoric. In terms of investigative journalism, that was pretty much a dud.

The whole raffle thing is pretty ridiculous. Assault a man's character and the best you can do is an unnamed source? Meh.
    Given how people are religiously defending Jim Tressel, it might be a really good idea that these sources are unnamed. I know if I had information to bring down a major university sports program and turned it in I would be fearing for my life.

Just because the sources aren't named doesn't take away from it. It's done to protect the person in case a mob scene shows up at the persons house, ala Steve Bartman.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

This article seems like an accurate editorial/summary:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...sel_job_053011

We're left wondering now, what might be uncovered as the magnifying glass is directed at OSU's program as clearly the NCAA's seems to be... Maybe, its mostly just "old news" rumors but if they become factual violations, even those might be enough.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?