Turn Off Ads?
Page 62 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263646566 LastLast

Thread: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

Re: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    You are probably the biggest homer on this board, only for a conference and not a team. Probably because Tennessee has been mediocre since '98. I really don't think you have room to talk.
    I gave the closest parallel possible and you refute it by bringing up something much further apart. Good job. Way to debate!

Since you insist on choosing a very distant analogy, I'll throw out a big difference between OSU and the SEC football:

SEC wins championships

One more thing. OSU is mediocre now. Act accordingly...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I gave the closest parallel possible and you refute it by bringing up something much further apart. Good job. Way to debate!

Since you insist on choosing a very distant analogy, I'll throw out a big difference between OSU and the SEC football:

SEC wins championships

Another difference between OSU and the SEC is that one of them is one football team and one of them is a conference made up of many football teams.

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    Another difference between OSU and the SEC is that one of them is one football team and one of them is a conference made up of many football teams.
    Good point, which is why the analogy was silly to begin with...

Yeah, I was WAY off-base with my comments about SEC fans in that other thread. WAYYYY off.

One of the other differences is the quality of education you get at Big Ten schools, which is one of the main reasons the football cultures are so different in general. the fanbases are just different, and I know which I'd rather be associated with.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Yeah and if the law didn't say I had to pay taxes then I wouldn't have lied on my tax return. See how funny that sounds, hence my response? The rules are what they are. Tressel knew them and he opted to not tell the truth. His or your opinion of the rules is irrelevant
    Once again my point is the rule is stupid and should not exist. This isn't about Tressel or what he did when he got to that point. We have discussed that. In making my point that I think the rule is stupid and should not exist I made the point that if the rule did not exist that Tressel would not have had anything to cover up. I honestly don't understand what is so difficult to understand about that, but I will repeat it so maybe it will sink it.

I do not believe the NCAA in its current form has the capacity to enforce all of the rules it has on its books. Therefore I believe it should either considerly beef up its enforcement staff in an effort to be me even and fair with its rules enforcement or stop enforcing stupid ticky tack rules like that ones OSU has been cited for (minus Tressel). Is that clear Sea Ray? I have now retyped and consolidated three or four of my threads almost word for word. I hope you get it now.

To your other troll posts following, I have had these views long before any of this happened to OSU. I'm perhaps more vocal about it because it is now happening to my school, but these views aren't from a "homer" point of view (always a week argument), but from a fan of college footballs point of view. You have no room to defend Bruce Pearl because he violated a pretty specific recruiting violation which the NCAA should absolutely enforce. It is similar to why I won't defend Jim O'Brien for what he did at OSU.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Yeah, I was WAY off-base with my comments about SEC fans in that other thread. WAYYYY off.

One of the other differences is the quality of education you get at Big Ten schools, which is one of the main reasons the football cultures are so different in general. the fanbases are just different, and I know which I'd rather be associated with.
    I'll agree that libraries are probably better in the Big Ten, whatever that does for you

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

SEC wins championships
    The Big 10 has more recognized National Championships than the SEC. You can look it up (some sources agree, some don't).

The team I root for, OSU, has one of them in the last decade. I know, I saw it with my own eyes!

Frankly, I am not sure OSU will measure up to mediocre this year. OSU was due for a lull, they have been nationally relevant from around '95 on. I don't suspect the lull will last long.

I am a bit disappointed in OSUs future scheduling, did you see the non-conference cream-puffs they have scheduled for 2018-2020?

GL
    Last edited by gonelong; 10-07-2011 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Once again my point is the rule is stupid and should not exist. This isn't about Tressel or what he did when he got to that point. We have discussed that. In making my point that I think the rule is stupid and should not exist I made the point that if the rule did not exist that Tressel would not have had anything to cover up. I honestly don't understand what is so difficult to understand about that, but I will repeat it so maybe it will sink it.

I do not believe the NCAA in its current form has the capacity to enforce all of the rules it has on its books. Therefore I believe it should either considerly beef up its enforcement staff in an effort to be me even and fair with its rules enforcement or stop enforcing stupid ticky tack rules like that ones OSU has been cited for (minus Tressel). Is that clear Sea Ray? I have now retyped and consolidated three or four of my threads almost word for word. I hope you get it now.
    The thing is nobody cares what you think of the rule or even what Tressel might think of it. The IRS doesn't care what I think of their rules. The fact that you think it's a stupid rule doesn't affect whether Tressel ought to tell the truth so I don't know what point you expected to make

The thing is nobody cares what you think of the rule or even what Tressel might think of it. The IRS doesn't care what I think of their rules. The fact that you think it's a stupid rule doesn't affect whether Tressel ought to tell the truth so I don't know what point you expected to make
    You keep bringing up Tressel in this and I'm not really sure why. I'm not arguing a point about him and maybe that is why you are confused.

This is a discussion board where members voice their various opinions on relevant subjects. Walt Jocketty doesn't care what your opinion is on Joey Votto's trade value, yet I'm pretty sure that thread exists somewhere on this board.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I know I shouldn't but I'm going to generalize...

Ohio State fans are like this and it's what gives them a bad name. They come across as pure homers.

As many here know, I went to UT-Knoxville and as such am an avid Big Orange fan. But I don't go around making excuses for what Bruce Pearl did. I'll say he was a very good basketball coach and I'm sorry to see him go. I know his actions will cost the program for years to come but I will in no way shape or form defend him lying to the NCAA. Why is this so hard to do for OSU fans?

If a UT fan came out with this take I'd be all over him as well. Heard any OSU fans take BuckeyeRed to task on this one?
    You see it as excusing Tressel, I see it as saying in a roundabout way that picky rules trip up lots of folks. I think that everyone seems to be in agreement that there is an issue with picky rules tripping up folks.

Since you're a Bible Belter, maybe you're familiar with the Pharisees, who had a laundry list of nitpicky rules for the very purpose of being able to trip people up under the guise of defining righteous living. In the process, Jesus condemned them, not for having rules, but having a thousand nitpicky rules while ignoring more critical issues of Godly living. I think that is the broader point of what ALL NCAA fans get and want changed. And I also think that is the broader point that Buckeye Red was making.

BTW, I am a Buckeyes fan and am appalled at the entire situation, including Tressel's fall. It doesn't mean that I don't see the validity of a point that "NCAA rules are overly strict and eventually, people trying very hard to do the right thing even get tripped up." That is the nature of legalism. It trips up a lot of people and turns the lawmakers into hypocrites themselves. And NCAA is legalism for college athletics.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    You see it as excusing Tressel, I see it as saying in a roundabout way that picky rules trip up lots of folks. I think that everyone seems to be in agreement that there is an issue with picky rules tripping up folks.

Since you're a Bible Belter, maybe you're familiar with the Pharisees, who had a laundry list of nitpicky rules for the very purpose of being able to trip people up under the guise of defining righteous living. In the process, Jesus condemned them, not for having rules, but having a thousand nitpicky rules while ignoring more critical issues of Godly living. I think that is the broader point of what ALL NCAA fans get and want changed. And I also think that is the broader point that Buckeye Red was making.

BTW, I am a Buckeyes fan and am appalled at the entire situation, including Tressel's fall. It doesn't mean that I don't see the validity of a point that "NCAA rules are overly strict and eventually, people trying very hard to do the right thing even get tripped up." That is the nature of legalism. It trips up a lot of people and turns the lawmakers into hypocrites themselves. And NCAA is legalism for college athletics.
    Nicely stated.

Unfortunately for tOSU and Tressel, JT decided to run from the cops instead of just owning up to his misdemeanor violation.

GL

The thing is this has nothing to do with the SEC. Even if a football never found its way south of the Mason Dixon Line, it still wouldn't matter if Tressel lied due to a stupid rule or a good one. It's got nothing to do with how many championships the Big Ten has won or whether OSU is better than UT or who has the better academics. Those trying to make it an SEC vs Big Ten thing are frustrated souls.

There's a big difference in the quality of education between OSU and Northwestern but does that matter after you beat them 45-10?

No one cares who has the higher SAT scores when you're talking about football

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    As is usually the case, it's the coverup that's worse than the crime.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

As is usually the case, it's the coverup that's worse than the crime.
    Exactly. The trip up wasn't because of some picky rule. Tressel knew what he had to do and did not do it. He effectively chose which rules he would and would not follow. Rationalization 101.

Turn Off Ads?