Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 66 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

Re: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Given how people are religiously defending Jim Tressel, it might be a really good idea that these sources are unnamed. I know if I had information to bring down a major university sports program and turned it in I would be fearing for my life.

Just because the sources aren't named doesn't take away from it. It's done to protect the person in case a mob scene shows up at the persons house, ala Steve Bartman.
    One needs to know the sources in order to evaluate their reliability. If concrete sources fail to emerge, it's a tell IMHO.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    If i've read the article correctly, we know that the NCAA is investigating Prior and his links to cars, the NCAA is investigating 50 separate car purchases related to the OSU football program, and the NCAA is investigating a businessman with close ties to Pryor presumably relating to Pryor's recruitment.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but has it been officially acknowledged that the NCAA is formally investigating these issues? I was under the impression that OSU was looking into them... There's a big difference between the NCAA formally investigating and the university doing fact finding.

There was this article last week.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6499662

I can't find it but I'm sure I read somewhere that it was found that all the cars were sold and that in most cases the players are still paying for them.I know that in the original story on Ray Smalls he claimed to have sold stuff to make is payments so while that's a violation in it's self it at least says that he had to pay for the car.I'll look for the article because I wouldn't want anyone to take a OSU fans word for it.

Found this regarding Clarett....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1923175

.....while this is by no means clears OSU and Tressel of wrong doings it must have been what I read regarding the current issues OSU is faced with....

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...car-deals.html
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 05-30-2011 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Given how people are religiously defending Jim Tressel, it might be a really good idea that these sources are unnamed. I know if I had information to bring down a major university sports program and turned it in I would be fearing for my life.

Just because the sources aren't named doesn't take away from it. It's done to protect the person in case a mob scene shows up at the persons house, ala Steve Bartman.
    The unnamed source is a guy that has a serious ax to grind if it's who I think it is. Pretty easy to figure out for anyone that has had insights to the program. But if it's who I suspect, all I'm saying is the person would have a lot of reasons to try and paint Tressel in a negative light.

Trust me on this...there really is some credibility problems given the past history with this person if it's who I think (and this person would have been around both during the 80's and more recently).
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    LOL at George Dohrmann, who is trying to take credit for Tressel resigning. That article was extremely weak.
    You have no clue. You think that passionate fandom gives you the right to castigate some who does an honestly good job. I know Dohrmann personally. He has real integrity - more in his pinky than "lie and deny" Tressel. Tressel has been ethically questionable for years, but fools like you swallowed his garbage because OSU won and you needed to believe that in winning there is intrinsic ethical virtue. I never want to read about what a phony jerk Chris Carpenter is on this board and what he says to his kids, unless the local hero Tressel's hypocrisy is acknowledged at the same time.

It's just all too bad. Tressel was such a perfect fit for OSU. I don't understand how such a smart guy made such bone-headed moves.

Teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    You have no clue. You think that passionate fandom gives you the right to castigate some who does an honestly good job. I know Dohrmann personally. He has real integrity - more in his pinky than "lie and deny" Tressel. Tressel has been ethically questionable for years, but fools like you swallowed his garbage because OSU won and you needed to believe that in winning there is intrinsic ethical virtue. I never want to read about what a phony jerk Chris Carpenter is on this board and what he says to his kids, unless the local hero Tressel's hypocrisy is acknowledged at the same time.
    You castigate someone for doing the same to someone they don't know, yet you turn around and do it to Tressel. Ironic, don't you think?

I promise you, Tressel has done more for society than Dohrmann. I don't even know him but I know it's doubtful he could have done more good for a community or people than Tressel has done. The guy is a hero to Columbus and Ohio not just because he's a winning football coach, but because he treats people so well. He donates a lot of money. He donates his time to causes. He answers every email personally. He shows up at hospitals to do favors for people he doesn't even know. The man is a living legend because of the innate goodness he shows off the football field as much as the wins on.

Tressel is guilty of making a mistake. But I promise anyone suggesting he's ethically questionable knows not of what he speaks.

I just find it distasteful you would lecture someone on questioning Dohrmann because they don't know him, then do the same to someone you clearly have never met.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Winning is fun.

Even if the article is 100% accurate, it isn't the reason why Tressel was forced to resign. That was my point. SI and Dohrmann hyped the article to be some sort of back-breaker (I was expecting something about cars), but the article was largely Dohrmann editorializing and dredging up things from Tressel's YSU days.

Before you get on your soapbox, try reading the context of a post.

Just finished reading it. More of the same.

I am more concerned about the Terrelle Pryor investigation, which is apparently not part of this story.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    It's just all too bad. Tressel was such a perfect fit for OSU. I don't understand how such a smart guy made such bone-headed moves.
    If there's anything this new SI article points out that may be correct regarding Tressel and his personal flaws is the one thing that answers your questions.Tressel didn't do any of this stuff.He actually isn't guilty nor is he being accused of being guilty of breaking any of the rules directly.His problem was that on the occasion that it came to his attention that a violation had taken place he turned his head.It's now pretty easy to accuse him of having done this in the past considering that he's now been caught.

The new SI article just digs up every little thing that's gone on during Tressels watch and acts as if he always knew and was behind everything.I guess if he was guilty this time he must have been guilty all those other times.Not to mention he's a terrible person that steels school kids lunch money.To be honest, I think this article was a complete joke and brought nothing new to the table.
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 05-30-2011 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Just finished reading it. More of the same.

I am more concerned about the Terrelle Pryor investigation, which is apparently not part of this story.
    The Pryor story is far, far more concerning than any of that garbage put out by Dohrmann. For some alleged groundbreaking piece, that was an awful piece.

The Pryor stuff at least has the potential to turn into something worse. Dorhmann's article was a smear job based on the word of an unnamed with an ax to grind, a convincted felon who's likely got at least some of his details mistaken and wordy, matter-of-fact pejorative language that points a lot of fingers but does little to prove the allegations.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    The Pryor story is far, far more concerning than any of that garbage put out by Dohrmann. For some alleged groundbreaking piece, that was an awful piece.

The Pryor stuff at least has the potential to turn into something worse. Dorhmann's article was a smear job based on the word of an unnamed with an ax to grind, a convincted felon who's likely got at least some of his details mistaken and wordy, matter-of-fact pejorative language that points a lot of fingers but does little to prove the allegations.
    Just wanted to point out that while this was included in the Dohrmann story it wasn't anything new.It was reported by the dispatch earlier this month then again by espn last week.

You know George Dohrmann personally, and I'm not questioning his integrity. And as a football coach, Tressel may be a slime ball, but as a MAN, I still think he's a great man. I can distinguish between the two. Maybe others can't. What he's done behind the scenes, for people in the hospital, children with cancer, veterans... the depth of what that man's done for this community goes way beyond winning football games. And if you can't understand that then you're just not going to understand the other side of it.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I think that it's you that has no clue.

That's not "passionate fandom" talking either.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Just win, baby.

The margin between a national title contender and a major-conference also-ran is so razor slim that I have to imagine the pressure to do whatever it takes to get that extra blue-chip recruit or superstar player is enormous -- especially when all that's being asked of you is to look the other way while boosters do the dirty work.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

I know Dohrmann personally.
    Tell him his article was pretty weak.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Turn Off Ads?