Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 66 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

Re: 2011 OSU Football-Will Tressel Survive?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Just win, baby.

The margin between a national title contender and a major-conference also-ran is so razor slim that I have to imagine the pressure to do whatever it takes to get that extra blue-chip recruit or superstar player is enormous -- especially when all that's being asked of you is to look the other way while boosters do the dirty work.
    Not to put words in your mouth but I assume you mean that this kind of thing happens a lot and not just at Ohio State.Either way I think it does and I don't think Jim Tressel will be the last good man that gets his good name all muddied up in the intrest of preserving the way the NCAA does business.They want these young players to be superstars and that's what they become.Young and broke superstars are going to take advantage of the only thing they have to get what they want even if they know the rules.Their fame gets them deals and benefits everywhere they go and Jim Tressel knew that and gave in to that idea and then lied about it so his team could win some games.That makes him guilty but it doesn't make him a bad man.

Making Tressel into some villan was the only purpose of the SI article imo.It certainly wasn't to inform.
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 05-31-2011 at 12:28 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Anyone in here feel free to answer this question.

You are hired to coach a top ten program. How in the world do you ensure your players don't get involved in this sort of thing. Now of course what did Tressel in was the coverup...but that's not what I'm wondering. You have 100 young athletic males who can seedily make a buck or get a discount simply for being on the team. How in the world do you police your own players? It makes my head hurt to think about how that is even possible in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Anyone in here feel free to answer this question.

You are hired to coach a top ten program. How in the world do you ensure your players don't get involved in this sort of thing. Now of course what did Tressel in was the coverup...but that's not what I'm wondering. You have 100 young athletic males who can seedily make a buck or get a discount simply for being on the team. How in the world do you police your own players? It makes my head hurt to think about how that is even possible in this day and age.
    At the end of the day, keeping it from happening is near impossible. One way a coach can look at it is to ask if they did everything they could do, within reason, to try and prevent it from happening. Players will still break rules, but if Tressel reports the violations like he was expected to, Tressel would still be the coach of the Buckeyes, and OSU probably doesn't have to live under a microscope for the next few years.

That being said, I don't think it would be that crazy to suggest that it wasn't just that one violation that forced this decision. There may well be another incident, or series of incidents that led to Tressel's resignation. If so, I'd expect the additional reasons to come to light soon.

I've heard from numerous places that things will probably get worse for OSU. Any new allegations, and OSU is flirting with a lack of institutional control charge, if they aren't already. There are some very nervous folks in Columbus right now. If what I've heard and read are true, and who knows if they are at this point, it is about to be a very long summer for OSU.

I feel bad for OSU fans. It has to be absolutely horrible to look at the possibility of the program being set back for a few years. The thing the fans can bank on is that they will be back, even if the program is gutted. OSU can survive this type of thing with the fan and booster support they have.

Did anyone here Thom Brennamen last night announce in the Reds game something to the tune like, "0It's a shame Tressel had to resign, I'd want my kid to play for him anyday", What a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Did anyone here Thom Brennamen last night announce in the Reds game something to the tune like, "0It's a shame Tressel had to resign, I'd want my kid to play for him anyday", What a moron.
    I can't believe you'd say that, unfreakingbelievable. Let's not turn this into something it's not, Jim Tressel lied to cover up for the kids that play for him. Partly for the ones who got this mess started but largely for the rest of team who was gonna have to suffer for what this small group did. Yeah he lied and so he deserved to lose his job but let's not turn him into a super villain for it there are far worse things to be burned at the cross for than what he did.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    I feel the same way. I am sure people who haven't gone to OSU or followed OSU won't realize what that man meant to the program. He brought back tradition to the program. He did everything you would want out of a football coach and a man. The singing of the alma matter after each game, bringing community back into the fold, the donation of time and money to the area.

Oh yea lets not forget that he placed record numbers of players into the NFL and as of last year ranked 5th out of college football in ARP rankings. The guy got his football players educated and drafted. He is exactly the type of coach I would want my son to play for.

And, if rumors are true, he paid players (or at least knew of pay-for-play schemes).

He certainly broke the cardinal rule in the NCAA coach's handbook.

By almost all accounts, Tressel was a nice guy. But he was also a cheater and a liar.

Suprise, a god with feet of clay.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Denial about what? There's nothing to deny. If you look at the history of NCAA sanctions, the programs like USC, Michigan, Alabama, etc... you know what they share in common? Lots of money exchanging hands. This situation is nothing like that. It's not that Ohio State won't get in any trouble, it's simply those situations involved thousands and thousands of dollars and benefits to athletes. This situation is more about a coach not passing along information when he got it. There's such a huge difference it's not even remotely in the same ballpark.

I think Jim Calhoun and Connecticut's situation is more like what Ohio State will get, based on what we know.
    C'mon Brutus. Grow up out of your naivete. You are already wrong on Tressel surviving. One investigation has led to another. Don't stand behind "what we know now". Unstand that we don't know much and that it's likely there's a lot of fire behind this smoke. OSU is looking at quite a bit more than what it has self imposed. This has allegedly been going on for nearly 10 yrs. OSU did not report it. They are in big big doo doo

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    As far as SeaRay calling out the "homers". Nothing has changed just like Brutus said. I have said before that I think Tressel, needed to go. I am inclined to believe that unless another bombshell comes forward, and to this point one really hasn't other than some icky car deals. (Which supposedly was already cleared.) The story hasn't really changed.

I know this, I support Ohio State. I root for the university, the team, and the players on the field. I won't pull out and run like some other fans did from their team. I will support my interim coach, and whoever becomes the full time coach next season. There won't be any extra angst over the issue.
    Nothing has changed? In March Tressel said he never even thought about retiring? Folks around here said no further penalties would come forth. I think losing your best ever coach is a huge penalty. It's clear that neither the university nor Tressel wanted it to come to this. They were fighting tooth and nail. Why do you think it came to this? I'll throw out a wild guess: maybe there's a lot more to this

That doesn't mean you can't fully support the program but don't stick your head in the sand and deny that a tsunami is coming

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    It's really unfair for you to call anyone out for their opinion a few months ago.If the story had ended with Tressel lying to the NCAA I believe I'd of been correct and you would've been wrong.Not really any point in arguing it because we'll really never know.

I'm not going to speculate about what's in the upcoming SI article but the arthur of the story claimed on twitter today that Tressel calling it quits will make more sense once that information does come out.Not to mention all the other little things that have come out the last few months.

Tressel was certainly my all time favorite OSU coach.He wasn't perfect on or off the field but he is a good man.He's made some mistakes though.I will miss the guy being on the sideline but this program will move on.
    You were naive to think this thing was limited to 5 players. You were naive to think that the NCAA wouldn't go through the program with a fine tooth comb and I doubt any major program could withstand that. Right now you're being naive to think that we've heard of everything they've uncovered

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Unnamed sources and named convicted felons as the sources. That was weak for some alleged bombshell.
    Ahhh yes. The Pete Rose defense...

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I can't believe you'd say that, unfreakingbelievable. Let's not turn this into something it's not, Jim Tressel lied to cover up for the kids that play for him. Partly for the ones who got this mess started but largely for the rest of team who was gonna have to suffer for what this small group did. Yeah he lied and so he deserved to lose his job but let's not turn him into a super villain for it there are far worse things to be burned at the cross for than what he did.
    I still think Tressel is a good man, but lets also not make him into a saint that "took one for the team".

Frankly, I can't come up with any good reasons as to why he'd lie to the NCAA besides hoping that this mess could get swept under the rug and the OSU football machine could continue.

There will still continue to be a lot of OSU fans that are Jim Tressel fans. I'm still one, albeit a much more realistic one. He's still a good man. I don't know what its like to have my ethics and morals challenged almost every day. If a guy like Tressel gets worn down and lets himself get ethically compromised, it just makes me wonder if its really possible for big time NCAA Div. 1 coach to be anything but a glorified pro coach who wins at all costs.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I'm a Buckeyes fan, but not into idolatry, so none of this surprises me. I am saddened, but not because "there goes the season," but because I think Tressel had his King David moment of weakness with tattoogate, and now is having buffoon "investigators" having a field day with innuendo and unnamed sources.

College football/basketball is obviously as corrupt as ever. Jim Tressel got caught up in the whirlwind of an inequitable system, where he makes millions, while his players are supposed to play for the love of the game. I don't think that can be fixed, because I really can't think of a way to pay college football/basketball players and not water polo and lacrosse players. Stepping up the War on Cheating is probably impossible--you just wait for the disgruntled players to start talking.

Anyhow, the idolatry will continue, the money will continue to flow, and the exploitation of inner city kids for 2-4 years will continue, and then we will wag our self-righteous heads when they break rules to get theirs, and continue to call coaches liars and cheaters. College football/basketball corruption could probably make an entire season of "American Greed." It certainly gives us a glimpse into early American plantation life.
    Last edited by traderumor; 05-31-2011 at 09:40 AM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    You were naive to think this thing was limited to 5 players. You were naive to think that the NCAA wouldn't go through the program with a fine tooth comb and I doubt any major program could withstand that. Right now you're being naive to think that we've heard of everything they've uncovered
    One of the points that seems a bit overplayed to me is that now they are saying "could be as many as a couple dozen players since 2002." What is that, a couple of players a year out there exploiting themselves in Columbus? I don't intend to minimize, just feel that number is not shock and awe as it is being presented.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    You need to read the SI story. Here's a guy that rigged raffles at team camps, so superstar high school kids won all the time to encourage them to come to OSU. Meanwhile, the average joes lose out. Jim Tressel lied because he didn't want his program to get caught, and he thought he was above the rules, and for no other reasons. His cheating goes back to when he was an asst. in the mid 80's at OSU, this is nothing new. No one is suggesting he be burned at a cross, but let's call him what he is, a liar, a cheater, and a con artist. Anyone who argues otherwise is ignoring facts.

Turn Off Ads?