Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Official 2013 Rule V discussion Thread

Official 2013 Rule V discussion Thread

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/ask-ba-2/

Ask BA: How Do The Minor League Phases Of The Rule 5 Draft Work?

Teams can choose to shield eligible players from selection in the major league phase of the Rule 5 draft by adding them to the 40-man roster. (The deadline to make 40-man additions usually falls on or around Nov. 20.) The player pool of Rule 5 eligibles consists of two main groups:

• Those players who signed at age 18 or younger five years ago, such that the majority of players signed out of high school or internationally in 2009 become Rule 5 eligible for the first time this year.

• Those players who signed at age 19 or older four years ago, such that the majority of players signed out of college or junior college in 2010 become Rule 5 eligible for the first time this year.

In the Triple-A phase of the Rule 5 draft, teams may select any eligible player left off the major league 40-man roster or the Triple-A reserve roster of 38 players. In the Double-A phase of the draft, teams may select any eligible player left off the major league roster, the Triple-A reserve roster or the Double-A reserve roster of 37 players. In other words, a player selected in the Triple-A phase does not rank among his organization’s top 78 talents, and a Double-A selection does not rank among its top 115. In these cases, players are not required to remain on a particular roster. The player’s contract is irrevocably assigned to the drafting team and the drafting fee ($12,000 for Triple-A, $4,000 for Double-A) is paid.

June 5 is used as the cutoff point at which a player’s age is determined, and players who sign after the minor league season concludes—typically on Labor Day weekend—don’t have their Rule 5 clocks begin ticking until the following season. Any eligible player can be selected for the Rule 5 fee of $50,000 (payable to the original team) and then must be kept on a major league roster for the following season. If the player doesn’t stick, then he’s placed on waivers and—if he clears—is offered back to his original team for $25,000.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Official 2013 Rule V discussion Thread

I don't think it would be a bad thing if the Reds used the Rule 5 draft to pick-up the MI back-up. Valdez, Izturiz, Renteria, Janish. Young and cheap might at least have a little upside. When the shuffling is done, I'm interested in the available names.

Then sign a vet or two to stash at AAA.

Since this is about Rule 5, who needs to be protected that isn't on the 40 man roster?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/ask-ba-2/

Ask BA: How Do The Minor League Phases Of The Rule 5 Draft Work?

This question comes up about a certain Twins prospect, Max Kepler. To protect him from the MLB phase he would need to be added to their 40-man roster this year, but seeing that he played at low Class A to this point, it’s unlikely he would get selected. I do, however, think he would for certain be selected in one of the minor league phases. So which roster would he have to be placed on to be protected in the minor league phases?

In Kepler’s case, he was signed in July 2009 as a 16-year-old out of Germany, so this will be the first year that he is Rule 5 eligible. Because of the pace of his development, the Twins will have an interesting call to make about adding him to the 40-man roster. On one hand, Kepler is an intriguing prospect who has shown some power potential and is still just 20. However, working against him is the reality that it’s hard to see how Kepler could stick on a big league roster for a full year—he doesn’t run particularly well and he’s not good enough defensively as a first baseman/corner outfielder to serve as a useful backup while getting limited at-bats. Also, a full year in the majors would likely retard his development. Kepler has just a half season of full-season ball as a 20-year-old. If he spent the full year in the majors next year, he would likely be sent to high Class A in 2015 as a 22-year-old, with plenty of rust to shake off and would likely have fallen behind his contemporaries.

So the Twins will have a tough decision to make about whether to protect Kepler on the 40-man roster. The decisions to place him on the Triple-A reserve roster will be easy, however. Unlike the major league roster, which brings both privileges (a big league spring training invitation) and requirements (the Twins would have to use one of Kepler’s three options to send him to the minors next spring), there are no such restrictions to the Triple-A roster. Kepler can be assigned to any minor league level next spring with no concerns about using options. So why you may have to worry about losing Kepler in the major league Rule 5 draft, there are no such worries about the minor league phase.

-The Insider-

I am sure I posted this elsewhere, but here is a list of Reds'. It's not every single one, but pretty close.

Ryan LaMarre
    Brodie Greene
    David Vidal
    Drew Hayes
    Josh Smith
    Daniel Renken
    Chad Rodgers
    Tucker Barnhart
    Daniel Tuttle
    David Lohman
    Tanner Robles
    Chris Manno

6. Likes:

marcshoe (11-06-2013)

Thanks for the effort. I know it takes research to put a list together, but it seems like a lot of guys who they've signed like Costanzo and Negron might be eligible. Not that I'm that concerned about those career minor leaguers, but it seems like there should be an official list somewhere...

Some names I'm interested in knowing the status who seem like they've been around awhile:

Tim Crabbe? Travis Mattair? Pedro Villareal? Parker Frazier? Bryson Smith? Juan Duran? Steve Selsky? Juan Silva? El Haj Muhammed?

BTW, I think Tuttle is already gone.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Ryan LaMarre
    Brodie Greene
    David Vidal
    Drew Hayes
    Josh Smith
    Daniel Renken
    Chad Rodgers
    Tucker Barnhart
    Daniel Tuttle Was released.
    David Lohman
    Tanner Robles
    Chris Manno

http://reds.mlb.com/team/roster_active.jsp?c_id=cin

Cincinnati Reds Active Roster

# Pitchers B/T Ht Wt DOB

61 Bronson Arroyo R-R 6'4" 195 Feb 24, 1977
    34 Homer Bailey R-R 6'4" 230 May 3, 1986
    Pedro Beato R-R 6'6" 230 Oct 27, 1986
    51 Jonathan Broxton R-R 6'4" 310 Jun 16, 1984
    54 Aroldis Chapman L-L 6'4" 205 Feb 28, 1988
    58 Nick Christiani R-R 6'0" 190 Jul 17, 1987
    52 Tony Cingrani L-L 6'4" 215 Jul 5, 1989
    Carlos Contreras R-R 5'11" 205 Jan 8, 1991
    67 Daniel Corcino R-R 5'11" 205 Aug 26, 1990
    47 Johnny Cueto R-R 5'11" 215 Feb 15, 1986
    30 Zach Duke L-L 6'2" 210 Apr 19, 1983
    Ismael Guillon L-L 6'2" 218 Feb 13, 1992
    60 J.J. Hoover R-R 6'3" 225 Aug 13, 1987
    55 Mat Latos R-R 6'6" 245 Dec 9, 1987
    44 Mike Leake R-R 5'10" 185 Nov 12, 1987
    63 Sam LeCure R-R 6'0" 205 May 4, 1984
    45 Sean Marshall L-L 6'7" 225 Aug 30, 1982
    40 Nick Masset R-R 6'5" 235 May 17, 1982
    66 Logan Ondrusek R-R 6'8" 230 Feb 13, 1985
    43 Manny Parra L-L 6'3" 205 Oct 30, 1982
    46 Curtis Partch R-R 6'5" 240 Feb 13, 1987
    31 Alfredo Simon R-R 6'6" 265 May 8, 1981

# Catchers B/T Ht Wt DOB

29 Ryan Hanigan R-R 6'0" 210 Aug 16, 1980
    39 Devin Mesoraco R-R 6'1" 230 Jun 19, 1988

# Infielders B/T Ht Wt DOB

2 Zack Cozart R-R 6'0" 195 Aug 12, 1985
    21 Todd Frazier R-R 6'3" 220 Feb 12, 1986
    9 Jack Hannahan L-R 6'2" 210 Mar 4, 1980
    3 Cesar Izturis S-R 5'9" 180 Feb 10, 1980
    4 Brandon Phillips R-R 6'0" 200 Jun 28, 1981
    36 Henry Rodriguez S-R 5'8" 200 Feb 9, 1990
    50 Neftali Soto R-R 6'1" 215 Feb 28, 1989
    19 Joey Votto L-R 6'2" 220 Sep 10, 1983

# Outfielders B/T Ht Wt DOB

32 Jay Bruce L-L 6'3" 215 Apr 3, 1987
    17 Shin-Soo Choo L-L 5'11" 205 Jul 13, 1982
    6 Billy Hamilton S-R 6'0" 160 Sep 9, 1990
    28 Chris Heisey R-R 6'1" 210 Dec 14, 1984
    48 Ryan Ludwick R-L 6'2" 215 Jul 13, 1978
    23 Donald Lutz L-R 6'3" 250 Feb 6, 1989
    26 Xavier Paul L-R 5'9" 205 Feb 25, 1985
    15 Derrick Robinson S-L 5'11" 190 Sep 28, 1987
    77 Yorman Rodriguez R-R 6'3" 197 Aug 15, 1992

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Thanks for the effort. I know it takes research to put a list together, but it seems like a lot of guys who they've signed like Costanzo and Negron might be eligible. Not that I'm that concerned about those career minor leaguers, but it seems like there should be an official list somewhere...

Some names I'm interested in knowing the status who seem like they've been around awhile:

Tim Crabbe? Travis Mattair? Pedro Villareal? Parker Frazier? Bryson Smith? Juan Duran? Steve Selsky? Juan Silva? El Haj Muhammed?

BTW, I think Tuttle is already gone.

I made this list last off-season and I only added guys who were first timers and that, at that time, I thought were either no doubters or maybes. However, I did miss some and I haven't edited the list other than Billy since.

As for a few guys you mentioned, Bryson Smith, Selsky are not eligible while Muhammed, Duran, Mattair, Crabbe, Villareal and Silva are. Frazier would be but he is eligible for free agency.

11. Likes:

marcshoe (11-06-2013),mth123 (11-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    I made this list last off-season and I only added guys who were first timers and that, at that time, I thought were either no doubters or maybes. However, I did miss some and I haven't edited the list other than Billy since.

As for a few guys you mentioned, Bryson Smith, Selsky are not eligible while Muhammed, Duran, Mattair, Crabbe, Villareal and Silva are. Frazier would be but he is eligible for free agency.
    Thanks for the info. I'd think Crabbe would be in danger of being taken if he isn't protected.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't think it would be a bad thing if the Reds used the Rule 5 draft to pick-up the MI back-up. Valdez, Izturiz, Renteria, Janish. Young and cheap might at least have a little upside. When the shuffling is done, I'm interested in the available names.

Then sign a vet or two to stash at AAA.

Since this is about Rule 5, who needs to be protected that isn't on the 40 man roster?
    I would go the other way on MI backup. I would actually try to get a veteran who is better than the Reds' usual guy.

If Phillips remains, he needs to rest more. He plays hurt too often. He rushes back. I'd like to see a more viable backup player for SS/2B.

At this stage of the Reds' development as a team, I don't see a Rule V pickup making the club. If they want to bring someone in and wind up returning him, fine.

Do you think the Twins protect Max Kepler?

The deadline is midnight tonight. With some spots available, who goes on the 40-man? Will they fill all open spots or leave some room for free agents?

I will take a guess and say they add three: Rogers, Barnhart, Arias. If they were to add a fourth, LaMarre would be my next guess.

The current roster on the website shows five openings but it does not have either Brayan Pena or Skip Schumaker listed.

An article from a few weeks ago about some of the players who may be considered: http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp..._t459&sid=t459

Duran over Arias--over anybody--is quite a surprise. I can't see a team thinking that he's anywhere close to acquitting himself reasonably well on a major-league roster. But rather than rail about it, I'll concede that the Reds have vastly more information than we do and have hashed it out to the nth degree. They see something. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Duran over Arias--over anybody--is quite a surprise. I can't see a team thinking that he's anywhere close to acquitting himself reasonably well on a major-league roster. But rather than rail about it, I'll concede that the Reds have vastly more information than we do and have hashed it out to the nth degree. They see something. Interesting.
    The thing that's puzzling is not that I can't see Duran being picked, I can, but that I can't see the Reds caring if he was.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Definitely surprised to see Duran protected, but then again power, especially legit RH power, is considered a scarce commodity these days. He fairly raked vs LH last year, and really jumped his slugging in the 2nd half.

I wonder if they're looking seriously at Yorman in CF, which might explain the willingness to expose Arias.

Turn Off Ads?