Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chapman

Chapman

Houston , we have a problem.

AAA?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chapman

If his command isn't a problem I don't know what is, that was just ridiculous last night. I feel bad because as the Welsh was saying he wants to throw strikes but he just hasn't had it the last couple days. Velocity seemed a little down as well, only hit 100 once I think. We need a pitch doctor!
    The best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be! -Bret Hart

Dusty said he wasn't going down. There going to have to figure it out up here.

Quote Originally Posted by markymark69 View Post
    Dusty said he wasn't going down. There going to have to figure it out up here.
    Which I don't understand. You can't use him now unless it is a clean inning in a 6+ run lead or deficit. Who knows when that will happen again. Bray is pitching well. Send Chapman down to AAA and let him start. Getting him on a fixed schedule has to be more beneficial to regaining his command than pitching an inning every six or seven days.

And not to go all "Dusty feeds on young pitcher's tendons", but it is interesting to note that Chapman's three bad outings came after his pitching four times in five days.

I think it is time for him to go down and get to work on becoming a starter.

I started a thread suggesting we send Chapman down on 4/30, I stand by that position. Nothing I have seen recently suggest to me he is able to offer anything to the Reds at this point. Let him work things out in at AAA, maybe transition him to develop as a starter.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

The guy has been completely mishandled by this organization.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    And not to go all "Dusty feeds on young pitcher's tendons", but it is interesting to note that Chapman's three bad outings came after his pitching four times in five days.
    How about last night?

Recovering Cubs Fan

my highly developed scouting instincts tell me he should be the left fielder
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by davrix View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by davrix View Post
    I agree completely. I admit wanting him in our bullpen and also thinking he could be the next coming of Mariano. But I think the reality is that he's a young kid, who needs more seasoning.

With the investment that we made, he needs to be a starter. So send him to AAA and let him take the time he needs to do it right. We have a good bullpen and plenty of lefties. Plus they need to decide on Arrendo (sp?) anyway. Swap them.

On another note, I think it's time we start shopping Volquez. I think he is the piece that doesn't fit. I'm not saying he's awful, but we have too many starters. He could be a big chip for a trade that could solidify this lineup. And I don't think we'd miss him. He is going to wish like heck he signed a LTC last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    I agree completely. I admit wanting him in our bullpen and also thinking he could be the next coming of Mariano. But I think the reality is that he's a young kid, who needs more seasoning.

With the investment that we made, he needs to be a starter. So send him to AAA and let him take the time he needs to do it right. We have a good bullpen and plenty of lefties. Plus they need to decide on Arrendo (sp?) anyway. Swap them.

On another note, I think it's time we start shopping Volquez. I think he is the piece that doesn't fit. I'm not saying he's awful, but we have too many starters. He could be a big chip for a trade that could solidify this lineup. And I don't think we'd miss him. He is going to wish like heck he signed a LTC last year.
    right now EV value is very low, you wouldn't get much for him...

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post
    my highly developed scouting instincts tell me he should be the left fielder
    Last edited by Red in Atl; 05-11-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Maybe it is a good idea to let him work through everything in Louisville. I'm not sure who would be the other lefty in the bullpen, though, were he to be sent down. His BB/9 has really gotten out of hand -- it has risen to 11.37, which is even higher than his 10.66 K/9. Nobody can be successful walking that many batters, and the Reds can't really afford to give up games. Last year his BB/9 was only 3.38, which was phenomenal given his 12.83 K/9. I don't expect him to put up a split that wide for his career, but something needs to be done to curtail the walks. Hopefully it's something Price can work out up at the big league level, but if not, send him down, and let him work through it down in AAA.

Turn Off Ads?