Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Reds at Astros (5/11/11)

Re: Reds at Astros (5/11/11)

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I'm sure this is an enormous sample of at bats. You might as well chisel that .600 OPS in stone.
    Well above Gomes' May number of PAs. Which was being thrown out there.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Some thoughts:

Leake. He should be starting. Here or in Louisville, but starting. Reds44 and Cedric, we get it...you think he's absolute garbage and should be shot and put out of our misery. Drop it already. The piling on gets old. Regardless, he's not suited to be in the bullpen. We've got MUCH better options for the pen. Here AND in Louisville. Personally, I think he needs Louisville for his long term development (but he's certainly been better than SOME of our other starters here).

Heisey. His numbers seem to show that he should be starting. But as eddabbs has shown repeatedly, for some reason he has REALLY struggled badly as a starter. But are his struggles better than what we're seeing from Gomes? Probably, but I think Chris is more valuable as a reserve. Taking Chris out of his more productive slot isn't solving the problem. Finding a replacement for Gomes and Chris's starting status don't have to be related. Find ANOTHER replacement for Gomes that doesn't hurt the bench.

Volquez. He needs to be out of the rotation. Period. He's got an option left...use it. Let him figure out his mechanics and his control someplace that is a more controlled environment and where it's not hurting the big club. This needs to be done immediately IMO. If nothing else, it allows a different pitching coach a chance to see and work with him. Maybe a fresh set of eyes can find a problem?

Chapman. He needs to be optioned to Louisville as well. His control is horrendous. I know it's not going to happen...but seriously, the only way he's going to regain his control is to pitch. Well, that's not happening here. He'll sit for 3 or 4 games in a row and then be expected to be sharp. Whether they want him to start or relieve, he needs regular work. Right now, that's not in Cincy. Besides, the bigs are not the place to figure out your stuff. Especially for young players who've never shown long-term success before. Moving him to L'ville is NOT going to hurt him. In the long run it'll be more beneficial to the club.

Arredondo. Most everyone is clamoring for him to be called up immediately. How are people going to react if he comes up and struggles? I think he should come up too, but I think people's expectations are way too high for him right now. But for now, I think he should take Chapman's slot.

The Rotation. If we do what I'd prefer (sending Leake AND Volquez to the minors) it leaves a vacancy in the rotation. LeCure has shown he can be decent there. He's also shown he can be effective as the long man. I think I'd prefer to take a shot here while we have the opportunity to do so and bring up Dontrell Willis. It would require that we DFA Hererra, but with all the arms we've got...I no longer see much available space for Danny. If it turns out that Willis can be successful, great. It gives us more time to groom Leake and Volquez. It would also let us know if we've got a legitimate trading chip available with one of our starters.

Gomes. I've waited and waited, but it's gotten well past time that he needs to sit for an extended period. We've got guys who can fill in. I don't think Hi-C's the guy though. I'd give Lewis an extended look or bring up Sappelt (once healthy) or Dorn. I know many don't care for Dorn, but if you take the time to look at his stats against RH pitching, that opinion may change some. He's certainly at the age where it's fish or cut bait time. I think it's time to see what the kid can do. But if Sappelt's healthy...I'd lean towards him.

LOL. Much longer than I'd planned...but at least now I'll shut up for a while. *grin*
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 05-11-2011 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Some thoughts:

Leake. He should be starting. Here or in Louisville, but starting. Reds44 and Cedric, we get it...you think he's absolute garbage and should be shot and put out of our misery. Drop it already. The piling on gets old. Regardless, he's not suited to be in the bullpen. We've got MUCH better options for the pen. Here AND in Louisville. Personally, I think he needs Louisville for his long term development (but he's certainly been better than SOME of our other starters here).

Heisey. His numbers seem to show that he should be starting. But as eddabbs has shown repeatedly, for some reason he has REALLY struggled badly as a starter. But are his struggles better than what we're seeing from Gomes? Probably, but I think Chris is more valuable as a reserve. Taking Chris out of his more productive slot isn't solving the problem. Finding a replacement for Gomes and Chris's starting status don't have to be related. Find ANOTHER replacement for Gomes that doesn't hurt the bench.

Volquez. He needs to be out of the rotation. Period. He's got an option left...use it. Let him figure out his mechanics and his control someplace that is a more controlled environment and where it's not hurting the big club. This needs to be done immediately IMO. If nothing else, it allows a different pitching coach a chance to see and work with him. Maybe a fresh set of eyes can find a problem?

Chapman. He needs to be optioned to Louisville as well. His control is horrendous. I know it's not going to happen...but seriously, the only way he's going to regain his control is to pitch. Well, that's not happening here. He'll sit for 3 or 4 games in a row and then be expected to be sharp. Whether they want him to start or relieve, he needs regular work. Right now, that's not in Cincy. Besides, the bigs are not the place to figure out your stuff. Especially for young players who've never shown long-term success before. Moving him to L'ville is NOT going to hurt him. In the long run it'll be more beneficial to the club.

Arredondo. Most everyone is clamoring for him to be called up immediately. How are people going to react if he comes up and struggles? I think he should come up too, but I think people's expectations are way too high for him right now. But for now, I think he should take Chapman's slot.

The Rotation. If we do what I'd prefer (sending Leake AND Volquez to the minors) it leaves a vacancy in the rotation. LeCure has shown he can be decent there. He's also shown he can be effective as the long man. I think I'd prefer to take a shot here while we have the opportunity to do so and bring up Dontrell Willis. It would require that we DFA Hererra, but with all the arms we've got...I no longer see much available space for Danny. If it turns out that Willis can be successful, great. It gives us more time to groom Leake and Volquez. It would also let us know if we've got a legitimate trading chip available with one of our starters.

Gomes. I've waited and waited, but it's gotten well past time that he needs to sit for an extended period. We've got guys who can fill in. I don't think Hi-C's the guy though. I'd give Lewis an extended look or bring up Sappelt (once healthy) or Dorn. I know many don't care for Dorn, but if you take the time to look at his stats against RH pitching, that opinion may change some. He's certainly at the age where it's fish or cut bait time. I think it's time to see what the kid can do. But if Sappelt's healthy...I'd lean towards him.

LOL. Much longer than I'd planned...but at least now I'll shut up for a while. *grin*
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

The thought of sending Chapman to AAA after two bad outings is just mind bogglingly dumb. I'm sorry, it just is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Daggone iPad.

I was going to say I totally agree with you on all points. I'll add this--trade Gomes and try to move Herrera for a bucket of balls. I just can't see much future for either of them. That's my opinion only, btw.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Daggone iPad.

I was going to say I totally agree with you on all points. I'll add this--trade Gomes and try to move Herrera for a bucket of balls. I just can't see much future for either of them. That's my opinion only, btw.
    I'd agree, but trading Gomes now would be selling low. I'd rather we at least try to get him straightened out....off the field of course. If we can get him to at least partially respectable numbers, we could find a taker because his contract is so reasonable.

Hey, does Gomes have any options left? :O)

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Leake isn't good and never will be. Nothing in his metrics say otherwise. It's time to send him to AAA and find a way to move him.
    I hate guys with a 3:1 K/BB ratio, and they give up less than a hit per inning to boot.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

- Arrendondo doesn't have options, does he? He has to come up.

- What about giving Willis a shot and letting Volquez work some things out in Louisville?

- I agree, that Leake should be starting either here or Louisville, and doesn't think a Louisville stint would hurt him at all.

- You could put LeCure back in the rotation, but he's looked really good in his new role. I'm not about messing with things that are working.

- Chapman is the golden nugget. They need to do what is best for him, and what is best for him is working on "pitching" and not just throwing really hard....and that should happen in Louisville.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 05-11-2011 at 08:45 PM.

Where was Cordero in the 9th? Maybe this was discussed before. I haven't read the thread. He didn't pitch the night before and with a day off Thursday he should have been good for one inning anyway. I wouldn't have used Leake in that situation in the 9th. If it went longer he would be good for multiple innings in a long game. All managers do head scratching moves at times. This was one that Dusty did.
    Arrendondo is out of options. He has to come up or be released. Volquez does have an option left. I would seriously consider sending him down and put Leake back in the rotation. I just don't think Leake is suited for the bullpen. I read in Fay's blog that Price thinks Chapman has a mechanical problem with his delievery that they can fix. I hope so. When he's under control he's an awfully good weapon to have.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

You don't use you closer in the 9th on the road when the game is tied.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?