Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 WVU Football Thread

Re: 2011 WVU Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I'm predicting 10-2 or 11-1, depends on LSU and how long their players are sidelined. I see them dropping one game, likely Maryland with Randy Edsall, on the road, and the Terps have a week off to prepare. It will culminate in a BCS game against a Big 12, Va Tech, or SEC team in which WVU will get slaughtered.
    Wheeeeere have I heard this before?

West Virginia vs. Georgia - The 2006 Sugar Bowl - YouTube

West Virginia Makes Lee Corso Go Beserk by Beating Oklahoma - YouTube

Against All Odds - WVU Football 2008 - Fiesta Bowl (vs. Oklahoma) - YouTube

In all seriousness, I feel like WVU can play with anyone, and lose to anyone. I won't have a good grasp on this team until at least after week one.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Still one of my favorite video clips is of the Run Away Beer Truck Owen Schmitt. And I love seeing Corso getting taken behind the woodshed. I would love to see him up in Morgantown with a "How about Oklahoma, Lee?" sign in the immediate background.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

35-17...you may be right but I think too many people are giving Marshall entirely too much credit this year...now we have a coach with zero connections to the state, loves offense, and will not mind to run up the score (which I will thoroughly enjoy and have greatly missed during the Good Golly Gee Bill Stewart era).

Im sticking to my original prediction for the Friends of Joe Bowl.

WVU-55
    Marshla-6

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Wheeeeere have I heard this before?

In all seriousness, I feel like WVU can play with anyone, and lose to anyone. I won't have a good grasp on this team until at least after week one.
    I don't disagree, but that was then under Rich Rodriguez and the emotional high of him leaving that they beat Oklahoma.

It's more a testament to how weak the Big East is. Louisville and UC were competitive at the time and they have went through coaching changes and fallen completely off (although Louisville is on the way back). UConn and Pitt are both going through changes and won't be in discussion.

Outside of Maryland and maybe LSU depending on suspensions, I think WVU runs the table on a crappy Big East conference. They will be the least battletested team in the BCS and that is what I think will cost them.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    35-17...you may be right but I think too many people are giving Marshall entirely too much credit this year...now we have a coach with zero connections to the state, loves offense, and will not mind to run up the score (which I will thoroughly enjoy and have greatly missed during the Good Golly Gee Bill Stewart era).

Im sticking to my original prediction for the Friends of Joe Bowl.

WVU-55
    Marshla-6
    Not giving Marshall credit at all. WVU is going to pass more than Marshall can defend but this is still the first game of the season and the first time executing a new offense in something other than practice. By the third quarter WVU will be rolling, but before then it will probably be sloppy.

Next year (assuming the Friends of Joe Bowl is still intact, not sure when it runs out), I would predict a blowout unless Geno leaves for the NFL (doubt it).
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I don't disagree, but that was then under Rich Rodriguez and the emotional high of him leaving that they beat Oklahoma.

It's more a testament to how weak the Big East is. Louisville and UC were competitive at the time and they have went through coaching changes and fallen completely off (although Louisville is on the way back). UConn and Pitt are both going through changes and won't be in discussion.

Outside of Maryland and maybe LSU depending on suspensions, I think WVU runs the table on a crappy Big East conference. They will be the least battletested team in the BCS and that is what I think will cost them.
    I'm actually more worried about Marshall with it being the first game there is bound to be more "hiccups" than Maryland. We don't have Stew and Crew calling the shots on offense now. Note I am not saying Marshall wins, just that it might be tighter than expected as we have a huge sea change in philosophy on offense and lost a lot of starters on defense. WVU pulls away in the 2nd half.

WVU 45
    Marshall 17
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I'm actually more worried about Marshall with it being the first game there is bound to be more "hiccups" than Maryland. We don't have Stew and Crew calling the shots on offense now. Note I am not saying Marshall wins, just that it might be tighter than expected as we have a huge sea change in philosophy on offense and lost a lot of starters on defense. WVU pulls away in the 2nd half.

WVU 45
    Marshall 17
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

Maryland IMO is the perfect storm. They have a week off to rest and gameplan, it's at College Park, and Randy Edsall has had some degree of success against WVU. It's also going to be the first legit game for the Mountaineers against a quality opponent.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Maryland IMO is the perfect storm. They have a week off to rest and gameplan, it's at College Park, and Randy Edsall has had some degree of success against WVU. It's also going to be the first legit game for the Mountaineers against a quality opponent.
    From a (relatively) unbiased outsider, I'm not convinced MD is a quality opponent. I think WVU rolls to a 17 point victory. This is the year the Big East starts to perform in football.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

But Edsall is also using Fridge's recruits right now. He's trying to fit pieces into his offense just like Holgorson is. I don't think that's an advantage for him.

William Arthur Ward

I'm not as psyched for this season as I should be.I liked the Holgerson hire and think you'll see some surprising things from Steadman Bailey this season, but emotionally, I'm not there yet. Probably still down from the Reds' season and need to see some action.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    I'm not as psyched for this season as I should be.I liked the Holgerson hire and think you'll see some surprising things from Steadman Bailey this season, but emotionally, I'm not there yet. Probably still down from the Reds' season and need to see some action.
    ^ This...I haven't been THIS depressed over the Reds since the 2000 season.

02, 04, & 06 had me going until the All-Star break, then the reality set in. With this year it doesn't seem real at all that the Reds suck, I just don't get it. This team should have repeated, they have better pitching than the Brewers.

The game has been in a prolonged lightning delay since midway through the third quarter. WVU is up 27-13 but its been a lot closer. Marshall had the momentum even though they had to settle for a field goal before Tavon Austin returned a kickoff return 100 yards before the delay.

From what I have heard inside Morgantown, people are staying in the tunnels and indoor practice facility waiting it out. They've been told that the game will be finished, even if its at 4 in the morning. I think it should be called but it will benefit Marshall if they come back out. Marshall is better suited for a ground game than WVU and 2 TDs isn't that difficult to overcome, especially with most of the fans leaving and WVU's passing attack being quarantined.

The game has been in a prolonged lightning delay since midway through the third quarter. WVU is up 27-13 but its been a lot closer. Marshall had the momentum even though they had to settle for a field goal before Tavon Austin returned a kickoff return 100 yards before the delay.

From what I have heard inside Morgantown, people are staying in the tunnels and indoor practice facility waiting it out. They've been told that the game will be finished, even if its at 4 in the morning. I think it should be called but it will benefit Marshall if they come back out. Marshall is better suited for a ground game than WVU and 2 TDs isn't that difficult to overcome, especially with most of the fans leaving and WVU's passing attack being quarantined.
    I really disagree. Outside of the punt return Marshall's offense has done very little. The defense shouldn't be as dominant as last year (would be hard to) but it's stepped up when it's needed. When this game is resumed I don't think Marshall has the talent to make up the deficit because Coach Holgerson appears to be a much better tactical coach than Stew, his teams are not going to make the same mistakes we saw under Stew. Am I ready to annoit them 12-0? No, but with the way this game has flowed I have no doubts that WVU should and will win comfortably.

The biggest differences I see in this game is largely the use of Geno Smith. Last year Stew and Co tried to take Geno and make him into Pat White. Coach Holgerson seems to understand what Geno is and doing what plays to that. We have not seen a single designed QB draw all day, which IMO is a good thing. Pat's first instinct was always first read wasn't there to take off, nothing wrong with that in college because Pat had the pure athleticism/speed to make people miss and take it to the house. Geno's first instinct is use his legs to move and buy time to throw it down the field.

The other difference that I have seen is not a single stupid penalty against WVU. Many games I found myself cursing at the tv or throwing something because of just moronic penalties (usually at the absolute WORST times).

William Arthur Ward

The game resumed long enough for WVU to score a TD. Delayed again in the fourth quarter.

I'm for Marshall but this game needs to be called. It would be an impossible comeback and with the field conditions it doesn't make sense to keep playing and open it up for possible injuries.

The game resumed long enough for WVU to score a TD. Delayed again in the fourth quarter.

I'm for Marshall but this game needs to be called. It would be an impossible comeback and with the field conditions it doesn't make sense to keep playing and open it up for possible injuries.
    Field will be fine, the field turf drains well enough that short of MONSTEROUS rains (like Vermont in that storm).

William Arthur Ward

Turn Off Ads?