Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 WVU Football Thread

Re: 2011 WVU Football Thread

Looks like they are trying to buy out Stew.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...ntract/related

Most WVU fans are getting what they want. Just hope they aren't counting on Holgorsen being around longer than five years.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Stewart’s attorney, David Hendrickson, has gone on the record to say he does not know of any contract negotiations with his client.

“There have been no negotiations,” Hendrickson told the Charleston Gazette Thursday evening. “I haven’t heard from the athletic department today.”

And now this little gem from ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6647704

West Virginia football coach Bill Stewart's future with the university is in serious jeopardy, and the situation could come to a head as early as Friday, a source close to the program told ESPN's Joe Schad.

School leaders also are pondering whether terminating the coach-in-waiting scenario it created this year with offensive coordinator Dana Holgorsen would be in the best interests of the program, the source said. Holgorsen is scheduled to succeed Stewart after the coming season.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Its time for WVU to literally cut its loses with the moron. He should have never been hired in the first place, however a bunch of drunks at 3 am hired him after the Fiesta Bowl win over Oklahoma where they really didn't even need a HC to earn a victory with all the talent that team had.

I realize Holgerson won't be in Mo-Town forever, but I'm all for a 5 year fix of blowing teams out! Just like I would be willing for the Reds organization to trade prospects for a win now mentality. I live in the moment, tomorrow we may be dead.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Most WVU fans are getting what they want. Just hope they aren't counting on Holgorsen being around longer than five years.
    I'll surprised if it's more then Two years, he does well he goes back to the big12-2, he does badly he'll scandal himself out of town.

This is 100 percent on the school, just fire the guy December and get it over with, the coach in waiting stuff was idiotic.
    Go Gators!

Barney Fife is gone! He was in over his head the entire time he was at WVU.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Barney Fife is gone! He was in over his head the entire time he was at WVU.
    Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I'll surprised if it's more then Two years, he does well he goes back to the big12-2, he does badly he'll scandal himself out of town.

This is 100 percent on the school, just fire the guy December and get it over with, the coach in waiting stuff was idiotic.
    Coach-in-waiting only works in one area, if the coach who is outgoing picks his replacement.

Barry Alvarez picked Bret Bielema at Wisconsin. Mike Belotti picked Chip Kelly at Oregon. Bobby Bowden picked Jimbo Fisher at FSU. It can and does work.

The only school I don't think it had success at before was Texas with Will Muschamp and Mack Brown, because Brown wasn't going to retire anytime soon.

I did think Stewart and Holgorsen could have made it work for one season, just because Stewart was a class act guy who would have done it for the school. Of course, that was before the smear campaign for Holgorsen.

Wouldn't be shocked if Stewart returns to coaching, possibly with the Steelers in some capacity. Mike Tomlin got his start under Bill Stewart at VMI. He might return the favor.

What do you WVU fans think of the reported near-deal to play JMU at FedEx Field? We JMU fans are thrilled about it but it looks like the reaction from WVU folks is very mixed.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    What do you WVU fans think of the reported near-deal to play JMU at FedEx Field? We JMU fans are thrilled about it but it looks like the reaction from WVU folks is very mixed.
    as in James Madison? If youre going to get a game there make it someone that screams guarentee tv like Penn State, Maryland, BYU, etc. I can't get that jazzed over James Madison, Coastal Carolina, etc.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

as in James Madison? If youre going to get a game there make it someone that screams guarentee tv like Penn State, Maryland, BYU, etc. I can't get that jazzed over James Madison, Coastal Carolina, etc.
    Don't worry, neither could Va. Tech last year.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Don't worry, neither could Va. Tech last year.
    Stewart got canned so there went your best shot and I am not paid to gameplan.

William Arthur Ward

Stewart got canned so there went your best shot and I am not paid to gameplan.
    Sad reality is, Frank Beamer >>>> Dana Holgorsen. And I'm pretty indifferent when it comes to Va Tech.

At this point, I would say Bud Foster would be an equal head coach as well if he had a gig.

That being said, I don't think JMU is going to be the college football equivalent of Butler anytime soon. If that game was played 9 times out of 10, VT would have still won.

Five short days away from the Dana Holgorsen era, and I can hardly wait.

Here is a little preview on the WVU RB situation this year:

At the running back spot, four are in the mix for playing time. Trey Johnson, Vernard Roberts, Andrew Buie, and Dustin Garrison will all see the field Sunday. Johnson is the only one to have seen game action and the other three running backs are all true freshman. The fact that the unit is so young should be a positive in that it's probably a lot easier to get them to buy into the "by committee" approach. No one's been around long enough to feel like they own that spot. But they all want it, and if that kind of competition lasts throughout the year it will be a positive when injuries occur.
    I can't wait to see what Geno does in this offense. I think Stedman Bailey and Tavon Austin are in for some really big years. The defense worries me a lot more than the offense does. A lot of guys to replace back there, and they will probably be on the field quite a bit.

I think we roll Marshall about 41-21. Close around halftime like it always is, and WVU pulls away late.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Five short days away from the Dana Holgorsen era, and I can hardly wait.

Here is a little preview on the WVU RB situation this year:

I can't wait to see what Geno does in this offense. I think Stedman Bailey and Tavon Austin are in for some really big years. The defense worries me a lot more than the offense does. A lot of guys to replace back there, and they will probably be on the field quite a bit.

I think we roll Marshall about 41-21. Close around halftime like it always is, and WVU pulls away late.
    I talked to a friend of mine who is a Marshall alum. He predicted at halftime that Marshall would blow the game in the 4th quarter last year. We both agree on the final score (35-17), just a difference in how they get there. He thinks WVU coasts, I'm more in agreement with you in that its close at halftime.

I think WVU will sputter on offense the first half. Rookie head coach running a new system and Marshall ALWAYS plays a good first half against the Mountaineers. Ultimately, fatigue sets in for the Herd, WVU will pass more than Marshall can defend (Holliday dismissed two starting senior CB's for drugs), and it's over.

I'm predicting 10-2 or 11-1, depends on LSU and how long their players are sidelined. I see them dropping one game, likely Maryland with Randy Edsall, on the road, and the Terps have a week off to prepare. It will culminate in a BCS game against a Big 12, Va Tech, or SEC team in which WVU will get slaughtered.

Turn Off Ads?