Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2011 WVU Football Thread

Re: 2011 WVU Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    So much for giving Syracuse a nice ACC sendoff courtesy of 500+ yards of offense. (a friend of mine said that earlier this week, I am going to bring that up tomorrow for sure. )

The officiating sucked, but Geno was awful tonight. I don't know if playing in a dome affected him or what but his passes floated in the air just waiting to be picked.

Seemed like WVU just waited for a bailout that never came. I thought WVU would come back and win it when they marched down the field on the first possession of the second half. Once Syracuse went up on the next possession, its just like the team rolled over and quit (save Starks TD catch in the 4th quarter).

If I am a WVU fan I would be a bit alarmed right now. Rutgers isn't looking too bad right now and with road trips to Cincinnati and South Florida left to go, they could end up dropping more games than originally thought.

Either way, Doug Marrone has WVU's number.
    We shall see what kind of coach Holgorsen is, Syracuse gave a pretty good idea for people to use against our offense (blitz early and often and everything). Geno played like crap, the line played like crap, defense played like crap, special teams played like crap. Could they have been believing the headlines? Possibly, it just seemed to be one of those nights that EVERYTHING Syracuse tried turned to freaking gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    We shall see what kind of coach Holgorsen is, Syracuse gave a pretty good idea for people to use against our offense (blitz early and often and everything). Geno played like crap, the line played like crap, defense played like crap, special teams played like crap. Could they have been believing the headlines? Possibly, it just seemed to be one of those nights that EVERYTHING Syracuse tried turned to freaking gold.
    Syracuse took a page from LSU. LSU did the exact same thing except WVU's line did a much better job in that game (including some more faking injuries). Geno had pressure all night and even when he didn't he made some poor throws.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Reading the Rivals board today and you would think that EVERYTHING was lost based on one nights performance...

I think we have a good scale on this team now.

The LSU game (minus the turnovers) is probably the best this team can play. Which is pretty darn good IMO.

Last night was the absolute worst this team is capable of playing. Given a crap ton of new starters on d, new offensive system, a qb who seems to want to gun it more than he should, being the biggest game Syracuse has had in the dome in the last oh 7-8 years.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I think expectations have been too high this year, given all the changes. I was anticipating a possible league loss down the line. I wasn't expecting it to come at Syracuse, admittedly.

I'm still not ready to talk about it. I'll let you know when I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I'm still not ready to talk about it. I'll let you know when I am.
    I passed denial up after the LSU game, we were pretenders all along, we have no business being in the Top 25, and IF, and believe me that is a hypothetical IF, we win the Big East, we will get DESTROYED in a BCS game.

WVU Football died on the night of December 1, 2007. It will not be relevant again for a long time, IF EVER. I actually wept that night because I knew the program was dead and we haven't recovered, I just never wanted to publically admit it, well now I'll admit it.

In other news, looks like WVU is headed to the Big 12.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/colle...1Oc4fAyQ6qlw4O

Don't blame WVU for leaving the Big East, but this has the makings of a geographic nightmare. If/When Texas and Oklahoma decide to leave for the Pac-12 when they decide to expand again, WVU will be right back to where they started.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

In other news, looks like WVU is headed to the Big 12.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/colle...1Oc4fAyQ6qlw4O

Don't blame WVU for leaving the Big East, but this has the makings of a geographic nightmare. If/When Texas and Oklahoma decide to leave for the Pac-12 when they decide to expand again, WVU will be right back to where they started.
    Which if you believe the stories won't be for at least 10 years (the proposed agreement of giving tier 1 and 2 tv rights to the conference).

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Which if you believe the stories won't be for at least 10 years (the proposed agreement of giving tier 1 and 2 tv rights to the conference).
    All I know is that there is so much drama in that conference that nothing would surprise me.

I think we can all agree that the Big East is the equivalent of Conference USA, especially if WVU leaves. I would even argue that WVU was chosen ahead of Louisville as the "death blow" to the conference's AQ status. Even if Boise comes into the fold, its going to be impossible for them to hold onto the status now.

The Big 12 as it stands is the weakest of the "Fab Five". Oklahoma and Texas are keeping the conference afloat but a lot can happen. If Oklahoma becomes disenfranchised over something that Texas does with the Longhorn Network, I could see them and Okie Jr reaching out to the SEC. If the Pac-12 decides to expand to 16 and take the four big schools out of the Big 12, the conference is severely weakened into a similar conference where WVU and Kansas State might be a marquee football matchup.

It's a risk, but one WVU has to make. I don't see the SEC expanding to 16 anytime soon, but the Big 12 could be the next domino to fall.

All I know is that there is so much drama in that conference that nothing would surprise me.

I think we can all agree that the Big East is the equivalent of Conference USA, especially if WVU leaves. I would even argue that WVU was chosen ahead of Louisville as the "death blow" to the conference's AQ status. Even if Boise comes into the fold, its going to be impossible for them to hold onto the status now.
    I'm not insulting or bashing you but WVU is not all that great and doesn't bring much to the table as far as a BCS status goes, and this is coming from a die-hard lifelong WVU fan and graduate.

What I'm saying is that if WVU leaves the Big East the conference can survive with an automatic BCS berth. Hell WVU only has 2 of them and that was during the White/Slaton era of 05-07.

WVU was only relevant on a National Scale during the Major Harris and Pat White/Steve Slaton era.

Louisville fans aren't gonna take it!

boobrewer All-District
    Rating: 3. 1/5 this site
    993 posts this site
    Posted: Today 1:24 PM
    Federal Lawsuit
    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    Now that we are being screwed out of the BCS, UL
    and the Big East needs to consider a federal
    lawsuit to stop all this nonsense. We should sue
    the BCS, the Big 12, and the ACC for anti-trust ,
    tortious interfence with contractual relations and
    business practices and whatever else can be
    thought of. There is no way that state schools such
    as UL, UCONN, Rutgers, USF and Cinci should be
    denied an equal playing field with other state
    schools to compete for the BCS, its title and its
    money. With WVU gone, no way the BIg East
    keeps its AQ bid. The way all this has transpired is
    plainly illegal. With that being said, if Big East can
    somehow retain its AQ bid with revamped league
    including service academies, etc. then I'm fine
    with staying. Screw all the rest of these schools
    and conferences that think they're too good for
    us. As long as we have equal chance to make BCS
    then we can compete. If not, a lawsuit needs to
    be filed. Who knows who I should contact about
    filing suit? What is Jurich's email?

I'm not sure what risk there is in WVU leaving for the B12. Lets say Texas & OU both leave for greener pastures in the next 6-10 years, the B12 over the next 6-10 years will be much stronger both on the field and in television revenue than the Big East over the next 6-10 years. Over that same time frame, WVU can use the national prestige of Texas & OU to increase their brand name to the nation. If/when OU & Texas leaves, WVU will be in a much more stable position than they find themselves in today in the Big East. I literally see this as a no lose situation for WVU over what the Big East offers them today. Sure, an ACC or SEC bid would have been tits, but neither were coming anytime soon; this allows them to increase upon their brand over the next 6-10+ years and perhaps look even more attractive to the SEC/ACC/Big 10 should the B12 begin to fall apart.

I'm not a WVU fan, but WVU was relavant far before Pat White and Major Harris eras. They may not be on the same national stage as Ohio State, Texas, Alabama, etc... but they've always been a step above everyone else in the Big East (save perhaps Miami and arguably VTech) They have a smaller state, but the fans are rabidly loyal, the programs are generally strong. After BC, Miami & VTech departed, they're the only nationally consistant program in the conference. Every program has ups & downs, but UC spends a pittance on football compared to most BCS schools. Louisville is coming off a huge downswing and still working its way back, syracuse hasn't been relavant since McNabb graduated, Pitt is up & down, Rutgers has had 1 good season, UConn is a newcommer to the game, in a poor recruiting area.

The biggest problem the Big East has, is that so many teams play 2nd, 3rd, even 4th fiddle in their own region. Either to the pro teams or bigger colleges in the area. WVU was the exception to that. Louisville is behind UK, UC is behind OSU, Notre Dame, UK 0.1 miles south of the River, not to metion the Bengals & Reds, Pitt has taken a back seat to the Steelers & penquins, Rutgers & UConn get lost in the Pro scene of NYC, USF falls behind Florida, FSU and Miami in their own state.

The big East is in trouble not because WVU, Pitt & Syracuse are leaving, but because none of the football programs left move the needle. Friday evening is generally regarded as a terrible time to play a college football game. Its harder on the fans to get down there and tailgate, you're limited in the amount of recruits that can attend a game and perhaps take interest in your school, and there are fewer eyeballs on TV than there are on a saturday afternoon. What does it say about the big east that it had not 1, but 2 games on at the same time on Friday evening? Rutgers @ 'Ville, WVU & Sryacuse. Tells me that ESPN isn't all that interested in putting them up head to head vs the B10, SEC & ACC games they carry all day saturday.

Whooo! Road trip to Lubbock!!!

The Big 12 as it stands is the weakest of the "Fab Five". Oklahoma and Texas are keeping the conference afloat but a lot can happen. If Oklahoma becomes disenfranchised over something that Texas does with the Longhorn Network, I could see them and Okie Jr reaching out to the SEC. If the Pac-12 decides to expand to 16 and take the four big schools out of the Big 12, the conference is severely weakened into a similar conference where WVU and Kansas State might be a marquee football matchup.

It's a risk, but one WVU has to make. I don't see the SEC expanding to 16 anytime soon, but the Big 12 could be the next domino to fall.
    The BIg East was already the equivalent of CUSA, WVU's following was the only thing really keeping it afloat BcS wise IMO.

Big 12 weaker than the ACC? In football? Pac 12 is done right where it is Texas won't give on the LHN and Pac won't let them have it. Texas overplayed its hand and got jacked up, they're a watered down ND all bravado with that nice TV contract to fall back on. They aren't going anywhere unless LHN collapses in an epic ball of fail and fire. Oklahoma is that guy with a jerk friend (Texas) but they think they need that jerk friend for something (recruiting). The two will NEVER separate.

This move for WVU is all about time. This buys OLuck and Pres Clement time to fix some minor problems before the next round of expansion and make this nice program look extravagant. It maybe the Big East all over again in 6 years like you said but thats about 6 more years than the Big East was going to give you.

William Arthur Ward

With the way things are going for WVU it wouldn't shock me to see Missery stay, big 12 stay at 10, and SEC swoops in and takes VPI or Clemson for 14 and stops.

We've gone from hearing that the invite is offered regardless of Missery and a presser tomorrow, to no presser. Please just make this END!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111

William Arthur Ward

Turn Off Ads?