Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2011 WVU Football Thread

Re: 2011 WVU Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    I'm not insulting or bashing you but WVU is not all that great and doesn't bring much to the table as far as a BCS status goes, and this is coming from a die-hard lifelong WVU fan and graduate.

What I'm saying is that if WVU leaves the Big East the conference can survive with an automatic BCS berth. Hell WVU only has 2 of them and that was during the White/Slaton era of 05-07.

WVU was only relevant on a National Scale during the Major Harris and Pat White/Steve Slaton era.
    For the Big East, WVU brings realistically the closest thing to a powerhouse school. I say that because if WVU runs the table minus the LSU game, they are likely top 10 and play in a BCS bowl with the likelihood of being able to compete against somebody from another conference.

WVU losing to Syracuse Friday night was really the worst thing that could have happened to the Big East as a conference. The conference needed a dominant team to surge in the polls and hold their own in a BCS bowl. With WVU losing the way they did and the schedule not looking much better, odds are a team ranked in the 20-25 range will play for a BCS bid and get throttled.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I'm not sure what risk there is in WVU leaving for the B12. Lets say Texas & OU both leave for greener pastures in the next 6-10 years, the B12 over the next 6-10 years will be much stronger both on the field and in television revenue than the Big East over the next 6-10 years. Over that same time frame, WVU can use the national prestige of Texas & OU to increase their brand name to the nation. If/when OU & Texas leaves, WVU will be in a much more stable position than they find themselves in today in the Big East. I literally see this as a no lose situation for WVU over what the Big East offers them today. Sure, an ACC or SEC bid would have been tits, but neither were coming anytime soon; this allows them to increase upon their brand over the next 6-10+ years and perhaps look even more attractive to the SEC/ACC/Big 10 should the B12 begin to fall apart.
    Let's assume the worst case scenario plays out and the Big Four of the conference decide to leave. This is what is left:

Baylor
    Iowa State
    Kansas
    Kansas State
    West Virginia
    Missouri (all signs point to them leaving, but assuming they stay)

Looks like the Big East currently.

For the record, I don't blame WVU at all for leaving the Big East. It's a sinking ship that was done in by terrible leadership that unfortunately it took loyal fans this long to see. The Big 12 is by far and away a step up from the Big East currently, but ten years from now that may not be the case.

It's a gamble leaving, especially when you factor in that WVU is going to be an "island" in that conference. But its one that WVU had to make.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    I'm not insulting or bashing you but WVU is not all that great and doesn't bring much to the table as far as a BCS status goes, and this is coming from a die-hard lifelong WVU fan and graduate.

What I'm saying is that if WVU leaves the Big East the conference can survive with an automatic BCS berth. Hell WVU only has 2 of them and that was during the White/Slaton era of 05-07.

WVU was only relevant on a National Scale during the Major Harris and Pat White/Steve Slaton era.
    WVU is the only school that actually has a tradition of travelling and actually doing something with BcS appearances left.

As for your last part you forgot 1993 and how many schools can claim lifetime .600 winning percentage outside of blatently obvious (ND, USC, Alabama, etc).

How many schools currently sitting in a BcS conference can't claim as few "great years" as WVU has experienced? I'll start that list with every member of the ACC (including Pitt and Syracuse) outside of FSU and Va Tech, Vandy, Baylor, Kansas, Missouri, Minnesota, Northwestern, Oregon State, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State.

WVU's luster is that we draw tvs outside of what should be our natural viewing area (Pitt, WV, VA, MD) are we ND? No but we're more than what most of the 3rd and 4th tier schools can offer. We have been relevant and in the discussion (rightfully or wrongfully) for BcS since the first raid we lost some games we really should never have (Syracuse twice, ECU, UConn) but when we have reached that big stage we've put on quite a show for the nation.

The Syracuse debacle was a perfect storm of everyone playing/coaching like crap at the very same point. Our youth and inexperience showed, this was the first real ROAD challenge for a new offensive coaching staff and they panicked and laid an egg the size of Time Square on National TV. Are they destined to fail? No, I mean Rich lost to f'ing TEMPLE his first year and that turned out as a pretty good hire until 13-9.
    Last edited by Slyder; 10-25-2011 at 10:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    The BIg East was already the equivalent of CUSA, WVU's following was the only thing really keeping it afloat BcS wise IMO.

Big 12 weaker than the ACC? In football? Pac 12 is done right where it is Texas won't give on the LHN and Pac won't let them have it. Texas overplayed its hand and got jacked up, they're a watered down ND all bravado with that nice TV contract to fall back on. They aren't going anywhere unless LHN collapses in an epic ball of fail and fire. Oklahoma is that guy with a jerk friend (Texas) but they think they need that jerk friend for something (recruiting). The two will NEVER separate.

This move for WVU is all about time. This buys OLuck and Pres Clement time to fix some minor problems before the next round of expansion and make this nice program look extravagant. It maybe the Big East all over again in 6 years like you said but thats about 6 more years than the Big East was going to give you.
    In terms of conference stability, yes. The ACC is set at 14 teams and I don't forsee anyone paying a $20 million exit fee to jump to another conference. I'm not bashing WVU by saying this but the fact that they offered a team that is 731 miles from its closest school (distance from Ames, Iowa to Morgantown) with harsh traveling conditions for making road trips should tell you how weak the Big 12 is compared to the rest of the conferences. Tommy Tuberville complained about it in the press release on ESPN and I'm sure other coaches aren't too thrilled about it either.

As for the Texas situation, time is going to be a factor. Five years from now, the Pac-12 could work out an agreement with Texas allowing them to keep the network and join the conference.

Of course there is a best case scenario in which nothing happens and the Big 12 expands back to 12 and adds some playmates geographically closer to WVU, such as Louisville.

Let me ask this to every WVU fan on here, "Where do you see the Big 12 ten years from now, and what is WVU's role in that conference?"

I've given up trying to predict what will happen ten hours from now, much less ten years. It wouldn't surprise me if current conference alignments become irrelevant due to sea changes in the way football is broadcast over the next decade. No real idea.

And stability or not, none of the 'big' conferences is currently weaker in football than the ACC. It isn't even close. Arguing the ACC's stability makes them a better football conference than the big 12 is like suggesting that the Pirates' consistency is a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    In terms of conference stability, yes. The ACC is set at 14 teams and I don't forsee anyone paying a $20 million exit fee to jump to another conference. I'm not bashing WVU by saying this but the fact that they offered a team that is 731 miles from its closest school (distance from Ames, Iowa to Morgantown) with harsh traveling conditions for making road trips should tell you how weak the Big 12 is compared to the rest of the conferences. Tommy Tuberville complained about it in the press release on ESPN and I'm sure other coaches aren't too thrilled about it either.

As for the Texas situation, time is going to be a factor. Five years from now, the Pac-12 could work out an agreement with Texas allowing them to keep the network and join the conference.

Of course there is a best case scenario in which nothing happens and the Big 12 expands back to 12 and adds some playmates geographically closer to WVU, such as Louisville.

Let me ask this to every WVU fan on here, "Where do you see the Big 12 ten years from now, and what is WVU's role in that conference?"
    Again if you believe the rumors FSU had a clause written in the buyouts that they only pay 6 mil if the SEC calls. If you believe all the rumors, you have to know that when the Big East football officially dies all eyes will turn to ACC as they are by far (statistically) the worst of the remaining BcS conferences left. 2 other points:
    1) Media has a bad habit of building up something just so they can rip it later.
    2) Karma can be a real *(@%#. Or Becareful who you step on, on the way up the mountain... because they will be the same ones you see when you fall back down.

I still believe when/if the big boys go 16 WVU will be in the SEC. If you want to say it happens 10 years down the road then here's how the b12 goes:

Missery and Us to SEC
    Texas, TT, Oklahoma, and OK State to Pac 12
    Kansas and the rest are left picking up the pieces or joining with that monstrosity (if it hasn't dissolved by then).

If you want to say "if nothing changes" (read no one goes past 14) then I see WVU as a all around solid program that is in the 2nd tier that picks its fights with Texas during meetings serving with Oklahoma a counter-weight to keep Texas from going complete and total Napoleon on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

With the way things are going for WVU it wouldn't shock me to see Missery stay, big 12 stay at 10, and SEC swoops in and takes VPI or Clemson for 14 and stops.

We've gone from hearing that the invite is offered regardless of Missery and a presser tomorrow, to no presser. Please just make this END!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111
    I've read in a few places that Missouri doesn't have the votes to get into the SEC, with the Elephants leading the charge against them.
    Go Gators!

Let's assume the worst case scenario plays out and the Big Four of the conference decide to leave. This is what is left:

Baylor
    Iowa State
    Kansas
    Kansas State
    West Virginia
    Missouri (all signs point to them leaving, but assuming they stay)

Looks like the Big East currently.

For the record, I don't blame WVU at all for leaving the Big East. It's a sinking ship that was done in by terrible leadership that unfortunately it took loyal fans this long to see. The Big 12 is by far and away a step up from the Big East currently, but ten years from now that may not be the case.

It's a gamble leaving, especially when you factor in that WVU is going to be an "island" in that conference. But its one that WVU had to make.
    Well you left out TCU, unless you think they're getting picked up along w/ Texas, TT, OU, & OSU. As you say, that's no worse than the current Big East, so from that standpoint they're in no worse shape if/when something like the above happened. If they're no worse off in that scenerio, then I don't see the gamble, even if all hell breaks lose, they're no worse off than they are by remaining in the Big East. Meanwhile, the upside of having OU & Texas on the rotation in their schedule has to be seen as a huge plus over anything that the Big East can offer. There is only upside from their current situation as far as I see.

WVU is the only school that actually has a tradition of travelling and actually doing something with BcS appearances left.

As for your last part you forgot 1993 and how many schools can claim lifetime .600 winning percentage outside of blatently obvious (ND, USC, Alabama, etc).

How many schools currently sitting in a BcS conference can't claim as few "great years" as WVU has experienced? I'll start that list with every member of the ACC (including Pitt and Syracuse) outside of FSU and Va Tech, Vandy, Baylor, Kansas, Missouri, Minnesota, Northwestern, Oregon State, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State.

WVU's luster is that we draw tvs outside of what should be our natural viewing area (Pitt, WV, VA, MD) are we ND? No but we're more than what most of the 3rd and 4th tier schools can offer. We have been relevant and in the discussion (rightfully or wrongfully) for BcS since the first raid we lost some games we really should never have (Syracuse twice, ECU, UConn) but when we have reached that big stage we've put on quite a show for the nation.

The Syracuse debacle was a perfect storm of everyone playing/coaching like crap at the very same point. Our youth and inexperience showed, this was the first real ROAD challenge for a new offensive coaching staff and they panicked and laid an egg the size of Time Square on National TV. Are they destined to fail? No, I mean Rich lost to f'ing TEMPLE his first year and that turned out as a pretty good hire until 13-9.
    How many National Championships do we have?

You what is sick? WE played for the title twice in 5 years-88 and 93. The only way Notre Dame beat us is because they played dirty and purposely took Major Harris out of that game, I'll ALWAYS believe that and no one is going to convince me otherwise.

93 we just got our asses handed to us by Florida and even IF we would've won it would have been a shared NAtional Title.

2007 is what REALLY makes me sick, we would have destroyed tOSU in the title game, we know it, they know it, and everyone else knows it. If not for some egotistical prick named Dick Rod we would have won that Backyard Brawl, defeated tOSU and had a 2007 NAtional Champions banner hanging at Mountaineer Field...

I had to vent I still get sick thinking about what could have been. Not to mention that ugly old stupid moron Stewart that took our program back 20 years.

So realistically what could have been, WVU 1988 and 2007 National Champions...

UGH that makes me sick, we have been nothing but pretenders for years.
    Last edited by will5979; 10-26-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Well you left out TCU, unless you think they're getting picked up along w/ Texas, TT, OU, & OSU. As you say, that's no worse than the current Big East, so from that standpoint they're in no worse shape if/when something like the above happened. If they're no worse off in that scenerio, then I don't see the gamble, even if all hell breaks lose, they're no worse off than they are by remaining in the Big East. Meanwhile, the upside of having OU & Texas on the rotation in their schedule has to be seen as a huge plus over anything that the Big East can offer. There is only upside from their current situation as far as I see.
    My bad, I forgot about TCU.

Now it looks like its between UL and WVU for the Big XII. This is why I don't get involved in this crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Now it looks like its between UL and WVU for the Big XII. This is why I don't get involved in this crap.
    http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...-snag/related/

Oh. My. God.

Isnt that kind of like Brad Pitt chosing Rosanne Barr over Jennifer?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Isnt that kind of like Brad Pitt chosing Rosanne Barr over Jennifer?
    Somewhat. Louisville isn't a bad choice though. The basketball program will always be top notch, even if Pitino does lose his mind. Football is a work in progress, but they are somewhat closer geographically than WVU without the travel concerns, and provide a better media market than West Virginia as a whole.

Mitch McConnell is the one behind the organization. He is a U of L grad and has been lobbying with the Oklahoma president and some Republican senators in the Big 12 states to get Louisville over WVU.

Every WVU game this point forward, home and away, is going to be extremely hostile. Rutgers, UC, and USF on the road with WVU looking to jump ship, Louisville at home with a possible Big 12 bid on the line, and Pitt at home with what has already happened with Pitt going to the ACC.

Goodness...

West Virgina Sen. Joe Manchin wants investigation
    into Big 12/WVU /Louisville stuff.
    Sen. Manchin to have 6 p.m . press conference in
    Charleston to discuss conference realignment
    issues.
    Manchin will call for investigation into whether
    any inappropriate/unethical actions were taken by
    members of Congress to influence decision.

Turn Off Ads?