Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2011 WVU Football Thread

Manchin also issued a statement, which reads:
    "If these outrageous reports have any merit ? and
    especially if a United States Senator has done
    anything inappropriate or unethical to interfere
    with a decision that the Big 12 had already made ?
    then I believe that there should be an investigation
    in the U.S. Senate, and I will fight to get the truth.
    West Virginians and the American people deserve
    to know exactly what is going on and whether
    politics is interfering with our college sports."
    West Virginia Senator Jay Rockefeller also released
    a statement Wednesday, saying, "The Big 12
    picked WVU on the strength of its program --
    period. Now the media reports that political
    games may upend that. That's just flat wrong. I
    am doing and will do whatever it takes to get us
    back to the merits."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2011 WVU Football Thread

First off, to set the stage:

A verbal contract is NOT legally binding. It's like promising you are going to mow your neighbors yard or wash his car. You can verbally say you are going to do it, but if something comes up you are free to pursue it, even though harm is done to your reputation in the process. However, if you sign an agreement (an actual contract, not a memorandum of understanding), you are obligated to fulfill it. WVU and the Big 12 had not made it that far yet.

Mitch McConnell is doing what is in the best interest of his state. That is why the people of Kentucky elected him, similar to why people re-elected Robert C Byrd for a number of years. McConnell knows the same thing WVU fans and politicians know, being invited to a better conference where you will have Texas and Oklahoma making visits will likely sell out in football and Kansas coming to town will sell out in basketball, which in turn generates revenue for the state economy and for a major university in the state. Manchin has lobbied for WVU as well, especially with his buddy and West Virginia native Nick Saban at trying to get WVU into the SEC.

The only question on McConnell's part is timing. WVU had already been told an agreement was in place (although not legally binding) to take them. McConnell asked his friend, David Boren, a former Senator and current President of the University of Oklahoma, to reconsider Louisville. Reading between the lines, I really kinda wonder if a lot of Big 12 schools were really happy with adding West Virginia given some of the quotes from Tommy Tuberville regarding traveling to Morgantown. Louisville isn't as strong a football program as WVU, but they do offer a better media presence, easier travel, and somewhat closer to the rest of the conference.

Here's where Manchin and Rockefeller getting involved could backfire: Most of the Big 12 states are red states and since politics being what they are, Manchin and Rockefeller, both Democrats, aren't going to have any persuasion. So the only other tactic is bullying through threatening an investigation. The best scenario is for WVU (or both) to be accepted into the Big 12, but even then, is WVU really that desperate to get out of the Big East that they would walk into a new conference knowing they were only taken because they threatened legal action?

And if the Big 12 tells WVU to shove it (and possibly Louisville as well), then this whole mess is a black eye for both schools at possibly ever being accepted into another conference. Does anybody think the SEC will offer WVU knowing that they will come with Senators ablazing?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

So what would you suggest? Just lying down?

Responding to leverage with leverage seems to be a reasonable action given the situation. I seriously doubt this would lead to a "black eye" in the way you suggest. One could as easily say that this demonstrates both states' desire to be a part of the Big 12, which would be a more positive way to spin this.

I don't see doing nothing as a very good option.

I don't have any dog in this fight but the actions of these conferences and these universities do not seem to be in the long term interest of anyone. Right now its getting to be a joke. I question whether a United States senator lobbying on behalf of one university is appropriate or "in the best interest of his state". I do know that if these allegations against McConnell are true that he is a hypocrite since he recently said:

"I don't think the universities need any advice from Congress about how to run their business," McConnell told ESPN.com's Pat Forde. "I have concerns about it, but I'm not an expert on why the universities are doing what they're doing. I assume it is in their own best interests. From a fan perspective, it is a little perplexing. I don't know what's going to happen to traditional rivalries when they're traveling thousands of miles to play."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/m...171224651.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    I don't have any dog in this fight but the actions of these conferences and these universities do not seem to be in the long term interest of anyone. Right now its getting to be a joke. I question whether a United States senator lobbying on behalf of one university is appropriate or "in the best interest of his state". I do know that if these allegations against McConnell are true that he is a hypocrite since he recently said:

"I don't think the universities need any advice from Congress about how to run their business," McConnell told ESPN.com's Pat Forde. "I have concerns about it, but I'm not an expert on why the universities are doing what they're doing. I assume it is in their own best interests. From a fan perspective, it is a little perplexing. I don't know what's going to happen to traditional rivalries when they're traveling thousands of miles to play."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/m...171224651.html
    He probably said that before Louisville was seen as possibly being left out. As soon as that became possible Louisville went kicking and screaming to an alumni.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Its all about the money and the TV rights.

Universities are trying to maximize the dollars and everything else is coming second. Including rivalries, academics, etc etc. It is getting harder and harder to see any other outcomes besides the ones that make the most money. And I'm not saying this about just WVU. It's almost every major US university.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    So what would you suggest? Just lying down?

Responding to leverage with leverage seems to be a reasonable action given the situation. I seriously doubt this would lead to a "black eye" in the way you suggest. One could as easily say that this demonstrates both states' desire to be a part of the Big 12, which would be a more positive way to spin this.

I don't see doing nothing as a very good option.
    I don't really know what to suggest. I do think its unfortunate but some of the reactions from WVU fans that I have heard are laughable, especially since I am from Kentucky originally. This isn't Jim Bunning going senile toward the end of his term, this is Mitch McConnell, who is equally as popular in the state of Kentucky as Robert C Byrd was in West Virginia during his tenure. Some of the reactions even suggest McConnell should resign as Senator.

But threatening litigation over an oral agreement which would never hold up in a court outside of West Virginia isn't the answer either. I think I actually would stand pat. If Louisville is accepted into the Big 12, they will have the stink of using politicians and making it public that it happened. By not threatening to hold an investigation where a WV Senator (Rockefeller) is the head, WVU looks better possibly to the SEC, ACC, or Big 10 should any expand. All money would be on the former.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    By not threatening to hold an investigation where a WV Senator (Rockefeller) is the head, WVU looks better possibly to the SEC, ACC, or Big 10 should any expand. All money would be on the former.
    West Virginia has as much chance of getting added to the Big 10 as Rutgers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    West Virginia has as much chance of getting added to the Big 10 as Rutgers.
    Given Rutgers is high on academics, I would move them ahead. Thats why I said all money would be on the SEC.

Rutgers also pushes this myth that New Yorkers will watch them on TV and thus give the Big 10 Network a chance to really expand into the biggest Metropolitan area. The reality is that the only college football New Yorkers care about is Notre Dame.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I don't really know what to suggest. I do think its unfortunate but some of the reactions from WVU fans that I have heard are laughable, especially since I am from Kentucky originally. This isn't Jim Bunning going senile toward the end of his term, this is Mitch McConnell, who is equally as popular in the state of Kentucky as Robert C Byrd was in West Virginia during his tenure. Some of the reactions even suggest McConnell should resign as Senator.

But threatening litigation over an oral agreement which would never hold up in a court outside of West Virginia isn't the answer either. I think I actually would stand pat. If Louisville is accepted into the Big 12, they will have the stink of using politicians and making it public that it happened. By not threatening to hold an investigation where a WV Senator (Rockefeller) is the head, WVU looks better possibly to the SEC, ACC, or Big 10 should any expand. All money would be on the former.

Given what you said I have to assume you believe WV's senators should have just kept quiet and let the August Senator McConnell have his way, and I just don't get that.

fwiw, Texas wants WVU in the SEC so I wouldn't say it's not going to happen just yet.
    Last edited by tixe; 10-28-2011 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Given what you said I have to assume you believe WV's senators should have just kept quiet and let the August Senator McConnell have his way, and I just don't get that.

fwiw, Texas wants WVU in the SEC so I wouldn't say it's not going to happen just yet.
    Thats exactly what I am saying. Whos to say even without the lobbying by McConnell that WVU still doesn't get in and if they don't, its going to look really bad on Louisville and the Big 12. By threatening a Senate hearing, you are risking not only being possibly left out of the discussion for the Big 12, but possibly other conferences such as the SEC if they decide to call.

If Louisville gets picked, public sentiment might help WVU get into another conference or even force the Big 12 to take both teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Beat me to it:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ed-join-big-12

I'm kinda enjoying the Pitino meltdown:

The Big 12's decision to remain at 10 members will prevent Louisville from following WVU out of the Big East. Louisville men's basketball coach Rick Pitino said Friday that Big East commissioner John Marinatto was disappointed in WVU's decision.

"I told him to stop taking that attitude," Pitino told ESPN.com's Andy Katz. "If Louisville had left the Big East was over. Nobody was going to come in. I told him to be fired up and go get those teams."

Pretty brutal schedule possibly for next season:

http://www.wvmetronews.com/news.cfm?...&storyid=48827

The news release from the Big 12 says WVU will begin playing in the league next year. WVU has locked in games with Marshall, Florida State, Maryland and James Madison. If WVU would take over Missouri’s games, the schedule for 2012 could look something like this, but note that under this scenario, WVU has 13 games and would have to drop one.

Sept. 1 Marshall

Sept. 8 at Florida State

Sept. 15 James Madison (at Washington, D.C.)

Sept. 22 Maryland

Sept. 29 Oklahoma

Oct. 6 Kansas State

Oct. 13 at Iowa State

Oct. 20 at Oklahoma State

Oct. 27 TCU

Nov. 3 Baylor

Nov. 10 at Texas

Nov. 17 at Texas Tech

Nov. 24 Kansas (Missouri is scheduled to play that game in Kansas City)
    This may not be popular, but if I am WVU, I would extend the Friends of Joe Bowl for at most three more years. F$U on the schedule might be overkill and depending on how the transition goes, the Marshall game could make a difference starting out in being bowl eligible or not. WVU is going to need a cupcake or two on the schedule and outside of Kansas and Iowa State I don't see too many.

Turn Off Ads?