Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2011 WVU Football Thread

Re: 2011 WVU Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Pretty brutal schedule possibly for next season:

http://www.wvmetronews.com/news.cfm?...&storyid=48827

This may not be popular, but if I am WVU, I would extend the Friends of Joe Bowl for at most three more years. F$U on the schedule might be overkill and depending on how the transition goes, the Marshall game could make a difference starting out in being bowl eligible or not. WVU is going to need a cupcake or two on the schedule and outside of Kansas and Iowa State I don't see too many.
    I say go for broke, give yourself the best chance at the biggest splash you can make in the new conference. Since you have to buy out one of those games it doesn't leave you much options. I would work with the deadskins and see if they would be interested in a Kansas/WVU game and buy out JMU (moving the game if you can to that early September slot). That's just IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...john-marinatto

West Virginia also alleges, "The denigration of the Big East Conference is a direct and proximate result of ineffective leadership and breach of fiduciary duties to the football schools by the Big East Conference and its commissioner."
    Yep. I think that about sums it up. Its not just Marianotto but Tranghese deserves a fair share of the blame.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...john-marinatto

Yep. I think that about sums it up. Its not just Marianotto but Tranghese deserves a fair share of the blame.
    I'm surprised they went to the lawsuit this quickly, unless the big east wasn't willing to give a price to pay out the 27 months and just expected WVU to kiss up like Syracuse and Pitt.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I'm surprised they went to the lawsuit this quickly, unless the big east wasn't willing to give a price to pay out the 27 months and just expected WVU to kiss up like Syracuse and Pitt.
    I expect the latter two to follow quickly. My guess is you'll see a negotiated buyout.

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised for a countersuit of the Big East and its remaining schools against WVU, Syracuse, and Pitt.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

The suit was filed in Monongalia Circuit Court. I wonder if the trial could be held at Mountaineer Field?
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    The suit was filed in Monongalia Circuit Court. I wonder if the trial could be held at Mountaineer Field?
    Where better? I think WVU feared letting the Big East pick the circuit because we would be looking at Rhode Island and a very unfriendly court.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Where better? I think WVU feared letting the Big East pick the circuit because we would be looking at Rhode Island and a very unfriendly court.
    I don't see it making it to court. If it does WVU will be held to the Big East for the duration of the exit term.

The whole point to this is public relations. By WVU filing the lawsuit and alleging that the conference failed because of the leadership is trying to get the Big East to cave. If they cave, which may happen if the invited teams join, WVU plays in the Big 12 next year and Syracuse and Pitt go to the ACC.

If not, it will likely be overturned in an appeals court not in the Mountain State. WVU is using the argument that TCU was able to exit and join right away as well as using the Big East's conference failure, but Oliver Luck has played both sides and as much as I like and respect Luck, I could see him being the downfall in this case.

If I had to guess, the Dana Holgorson honeymoon is officially over.

All I know is that the special team situation has to change. And a little less arm tackling wouldn't hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    All I know is that the special team situation has to change. And a little less arm tackling wouldn't hurt either.
    I wouldn't be shocked if Casteel is gone at the end of the season. If the Holgorson rumors are true (Georgia), he might force WVU's hand with it.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Both those things have been issues long before Dana got here and its going to take time. Not to mention the losses to the NFL from last years d. If this were last year 12-0 beating down Va Tech in Miami is what I would expect with a top 5 offense and defense like we could have had.

William Arthur Ward

If the Holgorson rumors are true (Georgia), he might force WVU's hand with it.
    What's going on with Georgia? They're going to win the SEC East this year, so it's unlikely that Georgia will be in the market for a new coach.

And I doubt Georgia fans would be thrilled by a switch to Dana at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    What's going on with Georgia? They're going to win the SEC East this year, so it's unlikely that Georgia will be in the market for a new coach.

And I doubt Georgia fans would be thrilled by a switch to Dana at this point.
    They might win the SEC east, which is very weak this season and if they do they will be embarrassed miserably in the SEC championship game and the bowl their subsequent bowl game.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

They beat Florida and likely have the east, Richt is safe.
    Go Gators!

I think Dana H needs to be given the opportunity to bring his own coaches in and make the program his. I expected there to be some mess this season because of the way the transition happened (I started to say 'was handled' but it wasn't handled, it just happened.) We've had two losses that shouldn't have happened and still have Cincinnati, probably the best league team on the schedule, to go. The school needs to gain a bit of stability before tackling the Big 12*.

Turn Off Ads?