Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 WVU Football Thread

Re: 2011 WVU Football Thread

I'm a Marshall fan and have to say I'm impressed with the use of Geno Smith. I also think, on my side of things, that Marshall has something in our freshman QB.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I really disagree. Outside of the punt return Marshall's offense has done very little. The defense shouldn't be as dominant as last year (would be hard to) but it's stepped up when it's needed. When this game is resumed I don't think Marshall has the talent to make up the deficit because Coach Holgerson appears to be a much better tactical coach than Stew, his teams are not going to make the same mistakes we saw under Stew. Am I ready to annoit them 12-0? No, but with the way this game has flowed I have no doubts that WVU should and will win comfortably.

The biggest differences I see in this game is largely the use of Geno Smith. Last year Stew and Co tried to take Geno and make him into Pat White. Coach Holgerson seems to understand what Geno is and doing what plays to that. We have not seen a single designed QB draw all day, which IMO is a good thing. Pat's first instinct was always first read wasn't there to take off, nothing wrong with that in college because Pat had the pure athleticism/speed to make people miss and take it to the house. Geno's first instinct is use his legs to move and buy time to throw it down the field.

The other difference that I have seen is not a single stupid penalty against WVU. Many games I found myself cursing at the tv or throwing something because of just moronic penalties (usually at the absolute WORST times).
    Only point is an offense that is heavily reliant on a passing attack (WVU) is going to have problems in inclement weather. Doesn't really matter being up by three TD's now.

For the record I do think Marshall has actually done ok in this game. When you consider they are bringing a freshman QB and a freshman RB into a hostile environment for their first ever taste of collegiate football and the performance turned in, it's nothing to hang their hat over. They were starting to gain momentum early in the third quarter before the Austin kickoff return and the lightning delay.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I'm a Marshall fan and have to say I'm impressed with the use of Geno Smith. I also think, on my side of things, that Marshall has something in our freshman QB.
    My friend who is the Marshall grad that I had the discussion with over the score was wanting Cato benched. Given the circumstances, I think they have something with the recruits Holliday has. They're a very young team, but I think next year or the following they could make some noise in C-USA.

Whether they deserve to play against WVU on a yearly basis is another argument for another day.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Looks like they finally called the game.

Also, there was no confirmation of a fan being struck by lightning, contrary to what ESPN is reporting.

http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/WVUSports/201109041748

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Only point is an offense that is heavily reliant on a passing attack (WVU) is going to have problems in inclement weather. Doesn't really matter being up by three TD's now.
    There's also a thought process of the offense knows what it wants to do and the defense doesn't.

For the record I do think Marshall has actually done ok in this game. When you consider they are bringing a freshman QB and a freshman RB into a hostile environment for their first ever taste of collegiate football and the performance turned in, it's nothing to hang their hat over. They were starting to gain momentum early in the third quarter before the Austin kickoff return and the lightning delay.
    Don't get me wrong they played a good game, but I just don't think with the change in coaches that Marshall could make up the differences in overall depth by coaching advantage like they had the last couple years with Stew in charge at WVU.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

My friend who is the Marshall grad that I had the discussion with over the score was wanting Cato benched.
    Wow, because clearly a 15/21 performance by a true freshman against a good defense is unacceptable.

Whew. It was harder for WVU and Marshall to finish this game than it was for them to start playing each other in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Your QB did look good for a true freshman in his first start. That has to have Herd fans excited for the next few years.

My friend who is the Marshall grad that I had the discussion with over the score was wanting Cato benched. Given the circumstances, I think they have something with the recruits Holliday has. They're a very young team, but I think next year or the following they could make some noise in C-USA.

Whether they deserve to play against WVU on a yearly basis is another argument for another day.
    Deserve? Personally, I think the annual game is great for the state of West Virginia, but if it comes down to Marshall "deserving" to play west virginia, I say move on. There are plenty of other teams out there, to play, that don't require Marshall to have that "qualification."
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 09-05-2011 at 10:15 AM.

I'm a lifelong WVU fan, but I think this game's good for the fans, and frankly I think Tony Caridi and a few others were way over the top in their opposition to the game taking place. An annual game against the only other 1-A (easier to remember than whatever they're calling it now) team in the state is a natural thing and lets the season get started with a little bit of interest. No matter what you think about the game, it's hard to argue that there isn't more interest than there would have been if WVU opened with Norfolk State.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Whew. It was harder for WVU and Marshall to finish this game than it was for them to start playing each other in the first place.
    Truer words have never been spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Deserve? Personally, I think the annual game is great for the state of West Virginia, but if it comes down to Marshall "deserving" to play west virginia, I say move on. There are plenty of other teams out there, to play, that don't require Marshall to have that "qualification."
    Poor choice of wording on my part. I was pulling for Marshall in this game. I do think though that if Holgorsen gets WVU on track, even if Holliday manages to improve the team its going to be like the Rich Rodriguez-Mark Snyder years where Marshall is completely overmatched.

I'd personally rather scrap the Friends of Joe Bowl (and with TCU coming to the Big East next year it very well may be). If Holgorsen either 1. uses WVU as a stepping stone (and I believe he will) or 2. puts WVU on probation by the end of his tenure, there is always the possibility that WVU and Marshall could meet in the Beef O Brady's Bowl. I'm a Kentucky fan first and the series between Kentucky and Louisville didn't start until Louisville beat Kentucky in the 1983 NCAA tournament. It might take Marshall embarrassing WVU in a bowl game to make it an actual "rivalry".

I'm a lifelong WVU fan, but I think this game's good for the fans, and frankly I think Tony Caridi and a few others were way over the top in their opposition to the game taking place. An annual game against the only other 1-A (easier to remember than whatever they're calling it now) team in the state is a natural thing and lets the season get started with a little bit of interest. No matter what you think about the game, it's hard to argue that there isn't more interest than there would have been if WVU opened with Norfolk State.
    It's only good for WVU (and I'm using this loosely) when the game is played in Morgantown. Play the game in Huntington where WVU fans won't travel and the officiating favors Marshall and you hear a completely different story.

It's a shame there isn't a central football stadium that could host the game, similar to the basketball game at the Charleston Civic Center. Laidley Field would be the only central location and it seats less than Marshall. Another possibility would be to do out of state neutral sites similar to what Kentucky-Western Kentucky did the past two seasons:

WVU Home Game-Heinz Field in Pittsburgh
    Marshall Home Game- Commonwealth Stadium Lexington KY

It's only good for WVU (and I'm using this loosely) when the game is played in Morgantown. Play the game in Huntington where WVU fans won't travel and the officiating favors Marshall and you hear a completely different story.

It's a shame there isn't a central football stadium that could host the game, similar to the basketball game at the Charleston Civic Center. Laidley Field would be the only central location and it seats less than Marshall. Another possibility would be to do out of state neutral sites similar to what Kentucky-Western Kentucky did the past two seasons:

WVU Home Game-Heinz Field in Pittsburgh
    Marshall Home Game- Commonwealth Stadium Lexington KY
    First please don't give the idiots in Charleston any ideas. That would be the absolute WORST thing they could do IMO. This game wouldn't mean anything remotely close to what you see with other games that are played on neutral rival games (think Red River Rivalry, World's Largest Cocktail Party) to make it worthwhile to do what would be necessary to use Laidley.

I HATE the idea of going to Pittsburgh or Lexington, this state needs NEW money brought in not send what money is here to another state (and this is the one main reason why I am against continuing it). Marshall going to Morgantown is a day trip for most fans, yes they have to eat somewhere but most are not going to use the other facilities like other schools. Likewise when WVU goes to Marshall (maybe not even get to eat as more people would go from Charleston).

It is also why I loved the rumors that WVU was trying to get at least one concert into the stadium this fall, it would draw new money to the program, big money in terms of hotel rooms, big money into restaurants, gas stations, etc. It is why when the state was giving out all the money (I think 2003), I was hoping that the UKV would get the money for a race track close to Quincy. Why? It would bring in some races (not the Sprint cup but a lot of rumors of Craftman Trucks) that are heavily attended by people who come from out of town. Also this facility had (I believe) some agreements with teams to have some full time training/R&D access which would have meant more jobs and opportunities. Not to mention the revenue with the short term construction money.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

fwiw, I think there has been quite an economic impact when the game's been played in Huntington. I know all hotels in the area were booked up far in advance of the first game, for instance. Someone's coming in for the game, whether it's WVU fans (and honestly, I know of quite a few who have come down) or Marshall alumni.

fwiw, I think there has been quite an economic impact when the game's been played in Huntington. I know all hotels in the area were booked up far in advance of the first game, for instance. Someone's coming in for the game, whether it's WVU fans (and honestly, I know of quite a few who have come down) or Marshall alumni.
    Exactly. It benefits Huntington probably moreso than Morgantown. Marshall alumni and a small segment of WVU fans making the trip to Huntington, stopping at either Pullman Square or Barboursville for meals, gas, etc. All WVU has to do is show up and avoid getting embarrassed, thereby ending their hopes of a BCS bowl.

WVU would have likely sold out if they had opened against Norfolk State for no other reason than a new coach taking the field for the first time. Any other season, it would depend on the product on the field. Case in point, last year when I went when they played Rutgers.

I never thought much about Tony Caridi but you are right, and that is the attitude of most WVU fans, especially the closer you get to Motown. Sometimes I think Caridi and Marty Brenamen should star in a remake of Grumpier Old Men.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    As a Marshall alum I am hoping that the series isn't renewed. Marshall reminds me of a guy who keeps asking a girl out who thinks he is beneath her. There are other girls out there; ignore the girl who thinks you are not in her league.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?