Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 WVU Football Thread

Re: 2011 WVU Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    As a Marshall alum I am hoping that the series isn't renewed. Marshall reminds me of a guy who keeps asking a girl out who thinks he is beneath her. There are other girls out there; ignore the girl who thinks you are not in her league.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    As a Marshall alum I am hoping that the series isn't renewed. Marshall reminds me of a guy who keeps asking a girl out who thinks he is beneath her. There are other girls out there; ignore the girl who thinks you are not in her league.
    I wouldn't mind seeing Marshall starting a series with Kentucky.

There's definitely regional interest from the Tri-State area, UK would probably be more receptive than WVU because UK is looking for a team to beat that gets them to three automatic wins out of conference. With the distance between Lexington and Huntington, a two for one series would work and it could be a decent rivalry for the two schools.

Kentucky already has Louisville in both football and basketball. WVU has schools that I don't think really care if they exist. (Pitt, Maryland, Virginia Tech)
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing Marshall starting a series with Kentucky.

There's definitely regional interest from the Tri-State area, UK would probably be more receptive than WVU because UK is looking for a team to beat that gets them to three automatic wins out of conference. With the distance between Lexington and Huntington, a two for one series would work and it could be a decent rivalry for the two schools.

Kentucky already has Louisville in both football and basketball. WVU has schools that I don't think really care if they exist. (Pitt, Maryland, Virginia Tech)
    I think a Louisville/Marshall rivalry could be built, as well. Agian, the two schools aren't that far apart and both fan bases travel pretty well. It could be fun.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Could have sworn this was called the 2011 WVU Football Thread .

Didn't get to watch the game live, but caught the replay. It went pretty much exactly like I expected it. O-line (and the WR blocking) has to be a huge concern at this point. If we can't run the ball on Marshall, we sure as heck aren't going to run it on LSU.

I thought the passing game was not very sharp. Geno made some nice scrambling plays on 3rd down, but against a team with a better pass rush, it's not going to be that easy for him to get away.

I'll repeat that Stedman Bailey and Tavon Austin are going to have huge years. Tavon was a bit off on offense, but it's easy to see that he is going to be a focal point in the offense. I'd love to see more plays with him lined up in the backfield.

Defense is still a bit hard to judge after one game, and remains one of my bigger concerns for the year. I have to confess that I've never even heard of some of these defensive players before.

Despite it being not the most impressive offensive display, my man crush on Holgorsen has increased. For years I have screamed that the WVU offense lacks purpose. No one ever seemed confident in the play call, their assignments. Always seemed like the whole offense was back on its heels and reactionary vs. being the aggresor. I saw plenty of assertiveness with the skill players, and with Geno as well. I'm ecstatic for the potential of this offense.

I love Holgorsen's demeanor on the sideline as well. May sound like a silly thing to say, but it was painful to look at Bill Stewart walk the sidelines and seriously wonder if he had any idea what he was doing. Dana is confident, and actually looks like a coach. Not really sure what I'm exactly trying to say, just that I'm so relieved to have him as a head coach.

Bring on Norfolk State!!!!!!!

Also, this WVU/Missouri to the SEC stuff I'm hearing is starting to gain some traction. I never follow any of the realignment crap because it's all speculation, and no way of separating the fiction from the truth, but I'm seeing a lot... a LOT of interesting stuff come across my twitter feed tonight from pretty reliable sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Also, this WVU/Missouri to the SEC stuff I'm hearing is starting to gain some traction. I never follow any of the realignment crap because it's all speculation, and no way of separating the fiction from the truth, but I'm seeing a lot... a LOT of interesting stuff come across my twitter feed tonight from pretty reliable sources.
    I was JUST getting ready to post this. Don't know if anybody on here listened to the game on Sunday during the lightning delay but Oliver Luck was asked this on the radio by Caridi and he responded if the SEC called, he would definitely answer.

I would love for WVU to come to the SEC for obvious reasons (going to Morgantown once a year for basketball), but outside of fan support, I don't see what WVU brings to the table, especially from a media market standpoint. There is already a SEC presence in-state (UK) and Morgantown is a solid eight hours from Lexington, making it the northernmost SEC school.

Missouri (KC, St Louis) and Virginia Tech (Richmond, DC) make sense, but WVU is in the same boat as F$U, Georgia Tech, and Clemson. Actually, I'd put WVU and Free Shoes University by themselves. Both have the fan support and tradition, but don't offer anything of substance that the SEC doesn't already have.

I always thought the ideal situation for WVU would be to replace Virginia Tech in the ACC if the Hokies came to the SEC. They would still be dominant in football and could hold their own against the NC schools in basketball.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I was JUST getting ready to post this. Don't know if anybody on here listened to the game on Sunday during the lightning delay but Oliver Luck was asked this on the radio by Caridi and he responded if the SEC called, he would definitely answer.

I would love for WVU to come to the SEC for obvious reasons (going to Morgantown once a year for basketball), but outside of fan support, I don't see what WVU brings to the table, especially from a media market standpoint. There is already a SEC presence in-state (UK) and Morgantown is a solid eight hours from Lexington, making it the northernmost SEC school.

Missouri (KC, St Louis) and Virginia Tech (Richmond, DC) make sense, but WVU is in the same boat as F$U, Georgia Tech, and Clemson. Actually, I'd put WVU and Free Shoes University by themselves. Both have the fan support and tradition, but don't offer anything of substance that the SEC doesn't already have.

I always thought the ideal situation for WVU would be to replace Virginia Tech in the ACC if the Hokies came to the SEC. They would still be dominant in football and could hold their own against the NC schools in basketball.
    I think it is pretty clear that the SEC is using WVU to force Missouri to make a decision. At the end of the day, I don't see WVU moving to the SEC, but the discussion is, at the very least, starting to get interesting.

I don't think anyone from the ACC will be switching, they each come with in state baggage.

I like WVU for balance, Missouri also brings another freaking tiger mascot
    Go Gators!

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I was/am really hoping that Mizzou ends up in the Big East. Adding TCU and Mizzou puts the Big East in position to then add Kansas/K-State, Houston or UCF. Big Schools in Big Markets is the Big East way. While the Big Minus schools don't fit the Big City aspect they are large schools, and Houston and UCF fit perfectly. It is time for the Big East to act like a Big Boy and do something proactive. While the $EC may be good for WVU it is terrible for the Big East.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    I was/am really hoping that Mizzou ends up in the Big East. Adding TCU and Mizzou puts the Big East in position to then add Kansas/K-State, Houston or UCF. Big Schools in Big Markets is the Big East way. While the Big Minus schools don't fit the Big City aspect they are large schools, and Houston and UCF fit perfectly. It is time for the Big East to act like a Big Boy and do something proactive. While the $EC may be good for WVU it is terrible for the Big East.
    Not happening. Mizzou pretty clearly wants the Big Ten invite, and may settle for the SEC.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Not happening. Mizzou pretty clearly wants the Big Ten invite, and may settle for the SEC.
    That's some settling... let me tell you . But you're right Mizzou is trying to force Big 10's hand. I wish SEC would goto 16 and invite both of us and Va Tech.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    I'm going to venture to say Houston, UCF, Memphis, Kansas, KState etc will be grabbed by the Big East when they lose WVU and whoever the B10 decides to poach.

The Big East is going to cease to exist as a major BCS conference when all is said and done, and the fault can be laid at the head office. There has never been strong leadership at the top of the conference, whether it be Marinatto or Tranghese. All that has been seen by the Big East is smoke and mirrors, such as the Big East Network that was rumored about a year ago but never brought to fruition.

I don't know that the conference will dissolve like I think the Big 12 will, but it won't look the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    That's some settling... let me tell you . But you're right Mizzou is trying to force Big 10's hand. I wish SEC would goto 16 and invite both of us and Va Tech.
    That's my thinking as well. A&M, Missouri, Va Tech, and WVU/Florida State would make the most sense.

The school I would really like to see the SEC add is Oklahoma, but I kinda wonder if it would be a package deal with Oklahoma State in which the deal would be off. Oklahoma adds a top football program in a new and expanding media market in Oklahoma City. I'm guessing they head west with Texas though.

The school I would really like to see the SEC add is Oklahoma, but I kinda wonder if it would be a package deal with Oklahoma State in which the deal would be off. Oklahoma adds a top football program in a new and expanding media market in Oklahoma City. I'm guessing they head west with Texas though.
    I think they looked at it last year and because of that fact they (Ok and SEC) couldn't make any headway in negotiations about OK State. Whereas the PAC likes things in pairs made it a perfect fit.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I think they looked at it last year and because of that fact they (Ok and SEC) couldn't make any headway in negotiations about OK State. Whereas the PAC likes things in pairs made it a perfect fit.
    The negotiations with the PAC however only considers expanding to 16 teams, both of which are Texas and Oklahoma. Haven't heard Oklahoma State in the mix.

I think I wanna hear Jesco White's opinion on a move to the SEC. I couldn't find it, so here's this:

Wvu fans drunk and dancing - YouTube

The negotiations with the PAC however only considers expanding to 16 teams, both of which are Texas and Oklahoma. Haven't heard Oklahoma State in the mix.

I think I wanna hear Jesco White's opinion on a move to the SEC. I couldn't find it, so here's this:

Wvu fans drunk and dancing - YouTube
    Everything I have heard is that Oklahoma and Ok State are tied together at the hip because of the legislature there. Plus it doesn't hurt that Ok St. has T Boone Pickens to throw money into whatever to help them get in. Plus it fits the Pac's neat little pairs package of teams they have going.

I too heard the rumor that the Big 12-3 is trying the "vows of unity" one more time and that they will all wave their rights to sue the SEC if the SEC doesn't poach another team. This is meant to put pressure on Oklahoma to stay and not go to west. Or thats what I have heard.

William Arthur Ward

Turn Off Ads?