Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 WVU Football Thread

Re: 2011 WVU Football Thread

Something I heard today and with how many times it happened I am starting to wonder.

Did anybody else think LSU was faking injuries in order to keep WVU from running the no huddle? Seemed like everytime Geno got into a groove, a LSU player got hurt and killed the momentum.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Something I heard today and with how many times it happened I am starting to wonder.

Did anybody else think LSU was faking injuries in order to keep WVU from running the no huddle? Seemed like everytime Geno got into a groove, a LSU player got hurt and killed the momentum.
    It couldn't have been more obvious. I've got several in person stories about it. I'll provide my summary later this week, maybe tomorrow.

I thought they were as well.
    Go Gators!

ESPN even zoomed in on Holg at one time and you could lip read Bull **** clear as day. I liked one suggestion that a hurt player must sit out the duration of that series, if the ref has to stop play in order to treat an injured player.

If that player attempts to come back in make it a personal foul and 15 yards against the offending team. 2nd time someone gets ejected. Sort of like yellow/red rules in soccer.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    ESPN even zoomed in on Holg at one time and you could lip read Bull **** clear as day. I liked one suggestion that a hurt player must sit out the duration of that series, if the ref has to stop play in order to treat an injured player.

If that player attempts to come back in make it a personal foul and 15 yards against the offending team. 2nd time someone gets ejected. Sort of like yellow/red rules in soccer.
    You could make a debate as to whether its ethical or not, but its pure exploitation of the rules. I'd say something will be done about it in both the NFL and NCAA after this season.

In the meantime, I wonder how many teams in the Big East will watch game film of that game and start to duplicate LSU in faking an injury to kill WVU's momentum. Of course, not every team in the league has a defense like LSU either.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

You could make a debate as to whether its ethical or not, but its pure exploitation of the rules. I'd say something will be done about it in both the NFL and NCAA after this season.

In the meantime, I wonder how many teams in the Big East will watch game film of that game and start to duplicate LSU in faking an injury to kill WVU's momentum. Of course, not every team in the league has a defense like LSU either.
    I'm quite certain WVU will not face another defense like LSU unless they play in a BCS bowl; even then it is unlikely.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

I don't think LSU players were faking injuries.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I don't think LSU players were faking injuries.
    I saw a play in person that made this issue not even debate-able. I honestly can't believe that the other side is being argued (not just you, but other message boards I've read).

Hate to be that guy that says "I was there, you weren't, I know what I'm talking about, you don't", but there is no way the television could have told the full story.

Alright, I finally summarize my thoughts.

What a Saturday night in Morgantown. I haven't seen/heard an atmosphere like that since the Miami game in 1993, and I was only 7 years old at the time. This night was one of the coolest memories of my years as a WVU fan. Going into the game, I acknowledged that the experience wasn't really about the actual final score, but participating in the excitement, and enjoying have the national spotlight.

The crowd was electric. I've never seen so much gold in my entire life, and as silly as the "terrible towels" are, they really did add to the excitement I believe. When WVU pulled back to 27-21, that place was BUMPIN. Sure, there are louder stadiums, and stadiums with more people, but I've never head 60,000 people that loud.

Now to the actual game. If you had told me we would have gotten beat 47-21, I would have said, "I guess we really don't belong on the field with those guys." However, I do not feel that way at all. WVU seemed to get every bad bounce imaginable (dropped pick on the first possession, Austin's drop that got tipped and picked, Geno's silly pick with 30 seconds left in the half, the punt bounces (going both ways), etc.). They may sound like excuses, and they very well may be lame excuses, but if the turnover battle of this game is (at minimum) even, WVU has an EXCELLENT shot to win that game. Simply put, and I never thought I would say this: LSU could not stop the WVU offense. Couldn't do it. Probably sounds silly, as WVU only managed 21 points, but I don't think I've ever seen a team have such bad field position. WVU had SEVEN possessions that started inside their ten yard line. It's so hard to put up points when you are losing the field position battle all night.

Geno was soooo good at times, but just made a couple plays that made my scratch my head. The Mathieu pick right before the half was just devastating. I think it was a horrible play call by HOlgorsen to begin with, but Geno still has to be smarter there. Regardless, what a play by Mathieu.

The WVU passing attack is 100% legit. LSU is widely regarded as the best defense in the country, and Geno almost put up 500 yards passing. It's so refreshing to see an offense that plays with purpose, and gets the ball in the hands of the playmakers in space. The most exciting part is that basically all of the offense will be back next year if no one goes pro. Running game still isn't great, but it's enough to keep defenses honest.

As I feared, the WVU front 7 was no match for the LSU O-Line/running game. That being said, WVU missed sooooo many tackles due to poor fundamentals. Everytime WVU got momentum, LSU pulled something out of their hat to bust it. Three guys had Ware in the backfield on one run, he spins out of it, and gets a first down on 3rd down. Once the D got warned down, LSU got some easy touchdowns.

The kickoff return was when the game ended. As I indicated, after WVU made it 27-21, the place was going absolutely nuts. I still have no idea how no one got Claiborne to the ground on that return. It was probably the most bizarre kick return TD I've ever seen.

Regarding the injury faking. I don't recall the first time it happened, but briefly, there were two LSU players on the ground, then one got up. The guy that stayed down (#77), was not involved in any tackle, hit, knockdown, or anything on the play. Just fell down, laid on the field, walked off on his own power, AND WAS BACK IN THE GAME 2 PLAYS LATER.

The second one could not have been more obvious. I remember it pretty specifically, but may have the play sequence slightly off. The score is 27-14, and Tavon rips off a 72 yard catch and run, and WVU is inside the 20. WVU throws an incompletion, then completes a pass to McCartney. #90 chases after Geno, doesn't get him, falls down, then.... GETS UP AND CHECKS THE RESULT OF THE PLAY. After he saw the catch, he went back down to the ground as if he was shot. Again, walked off under his own power, and was back in the game the next series (WVU scored shortly after). It was so obvious, that about 25 guys in our section started simultaneously pointing at the guy. Everyone saw him do it.

Make no mistake, the injury faking had ZERO impact on the outcome of the game. LSU was going to win that game regardless. I just think it's extremely weak of a supposedly big bad SEC team to have to fake injuries to try to slow down a Big East offense (and fail at that).

Saw a lot with WVU that has me excited for the rest of the season, and for the future. Geno Smith is absolute star.

Excellent analysis HB,

I wouldn't argue that LSU couldn't stop WVU's offense, but they did limit it. Geno did throw for almost 500 yards (463 to be exact), but only managed two TD's on 65 completions. Note that I said LSU didn't stop WVU, but they limited the damage that WVU did through the air.

I guess if you want to look at it that way, its a moral victory and nothing else.

This loss does expose a couple of things:

1. The air raid offense (I'm still calling it this from the Kentucky days) when executed flawlessly such as against Norfolk State will put up points in a hurry. The downside though is that it ignores a traditional ground game which when the offense doesn't work puts more pressure on the defense to bail them out. The good news is that WVU isn't likely going to see another defense similar until they play either USF or a BCS bowl game.

2. I wouldn't be shocked if more teams start faking injuries against WVU. It might be unethical but it is a loophole in the rules (that probably won't be resolved until after the season) and it works long enough to stall momentum. Geno is the type of QB who has to be in a groove and by faking injuries that would knock him out of it. That being said, see above on not playing another good defense until the end of the season.

Another solid performance by the Mountaineers this weekend, as the yards on the field translated to points on the scoreboard. It helped that the opponent was BG, but WVU finally showed that they’re capable of running the football, as true freshman Dustin Garrison put up 291 yards and two touchdowns on the ground. Honestly, it could have been a heck of a lot more as well. He had 233 yards in the first half alone, and WVU eased off the gas pedal late in the game, and worked in some other running backs.

Geno looked solid again, and played a very unselfish role according to Holgorsen. Per DH, Geno audibled out of several pass plays to get the ball to Garrison, who was running all over everyone. The offense seems to be hitting on cylinders.

Defense was pretty good. Bowling Green is pretty solid offensive team, just didn’t have the athletes to stay on the field with WVU.

Special teams was a disaster again. WVU has to find someone who can punt the football, and the kickoff coverage looks Bill Stewart-esque. It’s going to be interesting to see if Holgorsen can begin to get some athletes on the defensive side of the ball, because it looks like Stewart left it pretty bare on that side of the ball (which extends to the special teams).

I think its safe to say WVU has found their running back.

Twitter seems to be abuzz today with WVU to the SEC talk. Anybody following anything worth reporting?

I was wondering about that. I haven't seen anything solid, but everyone from Desean Butler on down the line has been tweeting rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    I was wondering about that. I haven't seen anything solid, but everyone from Desean Butler on down the line has been tweeting rumors.
    A friend of mine on Facebook said the SEC is supposed to be in Morgantown today.

The odds of West Virginia moving to the SEC will be strongly influenced by actions just west of the Mississippi River this evening.

Turn Off Ads?