Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 WVU Football Thread

Re: 2011 WVU Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    My only problem with the Big 12 is it makes sense for football only and somewhat in basketball. You listed the positive in bringing an Oklahoma to Mountaineer Field, but what happens when WVU has to travel to Norman. How many WVU fans are going to make the trip?

Its going to be an every year trip to Oklahoma or Texas, whether it be Norman, Stillwater, Austin, Lubbock, Ft Worth, or Waco. That's fine for football, but how about for girls softball?

If WVU joins the Big 12, I'd go football only. Keep them in the Big East in everything else or if the Big East collapses, maybe the Atlantic 10.
    I doubt that would fly with the Big 12 or Big East/A10. Flight Travel anymore makes a flight from Pittsburgh to Dallas in an hour and a half. Jump on a bus for maybe another hour to even the more remote places. You can get around much faster and easier than before I doubt it would be that much of an issue. Or get a sponsorship from one of the airlines to make the flights.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I doubt that would fly with the Big 12 or Big East/A10. Flight Travel anymore makes a flight from Pittsburgh to Dallas in an hour and a half. Jump on a bus for maybe another hour to even the more remote places. You can get around much faster and easier than before I doubt it would be that much of an issue. Or get a sponsorship from one of the airlines to make the flights.
    This works for football, but what about the other sports that don't make any money? Not to mention flying is a lot more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

This works for football, but what about the other sports that don't make any money? Not to mention flying is a lot more expensive.
    How does BC do it in the ACC? How does Penn State travel to Iowa, Indiana, Nebraska? How does USF do it now? How does UTEP which is in the middle of BFE fly to ECU and Marshall? Its why I suggested talking with the airlines and see what could be done for the offsports.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Don't believe a word. Will drive you nuts reading that crap.
    I know. I read it mostly for the moments. I enjoyed looking at things when it first started. Its why I believe all this mess is just cover for the SEC to get who they really want (FSU). If the SEC is indeed only going to 14 then I bet they wish they could take WVU's program combine it with the tvs in Missouri and you would have what theyd need.

William Arthur Ward

I feel about the same way regarding Scout or Rivals. Seems like there isn't a good WVU site to read.

You've been kinda quiet on the conference issues, where do you think WVU ends up or do they stay in a watered down Big East?
    Realignment is like the NFL lockout for me. No point in following it. All you get is rumors this, rumors that. No idea what is true and what isn't. It'll all be sorted out when its sorted out, and there is no point in driving myself crazy thinking about it and talking about it.

Obviously, I don't want to stay in this version of the Big East. SEC, WVU is going to get their butt kicked a little bit until they start getting SEC caliber athletes on the defensive side of the ball, but ultimately their football program will be stronger because of it. Also, if I have the choice between watching a WVU/Rutgers game, and a WVU/Alabama game.

If I had a choice, I would want to be in the SEC.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Obviously, I don't want to stay in this version of the Big East. SEC, WVU is going to get their butt kicked a little bit until they start getting SEC caliber athletes on the defensive side of the ball, but ultimately their football program will be stronger because of it. Also, if I have the choice between watching a WVU/Rutgers game, and a WVU/Alabama game.

If I had a choice, I would want to be in the SEC.
    That's kinda how I feel. WVU isn't going to compete right away in the SEC and it may result in a coaching change before all is said and done. UK ran the exact same offense in the SEC under Hal Mumme and the most success was in reaching the Outback Bowl. WVU might have a recruiting advantage that UK does not but as long as you play in the SEC where you have quality defense, I don't see the Air Raid working. People will point to 500 yards against LSU but LSU was successful in limiting the damage of the offense.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I know. I read it mostly for the moments. I enjoyed looking at things when it first started. Its why I believe all this mess is just cover for the SEC to get who they really want (FSU). If the SEC is indeed only going to 14 then I bet they wish they could take WVU's program combine it with the tvs in Missouri and you would have what theyd need.
    I did post over there a "source" that I had. You should be able to figure out which post it is.

I did post over there a "source" that I had. You should be able to figure out which post it is.
    PM Coming :P.

William Arthur Ward

If you said I was Oliver Luck and I could pick where we would be it would be the following:

1) SEC
    2) Big 12
    1,356,832) Recalibrated Big East
    3,589,039) ACC

I think that Big East football is dead, everyone knows it and everyone's just arguing to kill it. That's why you got the bball schools blocking (reportedly) any expansion, that's why you have WVU pushing Boise and others balking, that's why the idiot from Providence can't get a simple measure to increase buyouts passed, its why you have reports of the bball schools blaming Notre Dame.

I think everyone realizes that its a useless venture, the only thing they're waiting on is who's the last team out the door Louisville or WVU to bury it for good. And it's such a shame with even a little bit of leadership this could have been prevented.

The Big East needed to go to at least 10 when Va Tech and co bolted. I would have taken the tv hit because you were negotiating from a position of weakness anyways and taken another school with a lot of potential. East Carolina has a very similar fan base to WVU and I think they would have THRIVED in Big East football after the first raid and maybe developed a bit of a market for themselves while Carolina (the whole ACC) football was garbage.
    My desire has been updated if the rumors of NBC wanting to throw some money around to keep the Big East together (read theyre desperate for a piece beyond ND football). If I'm in a position of power and they say they can bring Penn State home I listen to the rest of the proposal, if they just want to elevate a bunch of midmajors then we got to get out for our own good.

Yes I despise the ACC that much.

William Arthur Ward

Penn State isn't leaving the B10, forget about it. I don't care how much money NBC wants to throw at them to get them to do it, its going to be tough to realistically beat what the BTN and the BT TV deals bring them, then on top of them, they'd loss their affiliation w/ the B10 AAU members and revenue sharing thru research, which from reports I've read, dwarf the amount of money brought in thru sports.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Penn State isn't leaving the B10, forget about it. I don't care how much money NBC wants to throw at them to get them to do it, its going to be tough to realistically beat what the BTN and the BT TV deals bring them, then on top of them, they'd loss their affiliation w/ the B10 AAU members and revenue sharing thru research, which from reports I've read, dwarf the amount of money brought in thru sports.
    It's just more throwing crap to the wall to see what sticks. The Big East is a smoke and mirrors conference, that is why they are on the way down. Before Syracuse and Pitt got poached it was how the expiring TV deal would save them and how Marianotto and Paul Tagliabue were working on a Big East Network.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I know but I just wanted to bring up how much it would take for me to even listen to the plan. LoL.

William Arthur Ward

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

As I just posted on another thread, it looks like Boise is coming. There recent history may be enough to keep the BCS bid in the Big East. I'm a Louisville fan, and generally dislike WVU, but I am cheering for the 'Neers to run the conference this year and finish in the T-op 10. As long as UofL is in the Big East, I need to keep the best interest of the conference in mind, and that is a team in the Top 10.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

So much for giving Syracuse a nice ACC sendoff courtesy of 500+ yards of offense. (a friend of mine said that earlier this week, I am going to bring that up tomorrow for sure. )

The officiating sucked, but Geno was awful tonight. I don't know if playing in a dome affected him or what but his passes floated in the air just waiting to be picked.

Seemed like WVU just waited for a bailout that never came. I thought WVU would come back and win it when they marched down the field on the first possession of the second half. Once Syracuse went up on the next possession, its just like the team rolled over and quit (save Starks TD catch in the 4th quarter).

If I am a WVU fan I would be a bit alarmed right now. Rutgers isn't looking too bad right now and with road trips to Cincinnati and South Florida left to go, they could end up dropping more games than originally thought.

Either way, Doug Marrone has WVU's number.

Wow! Someone got taken to the wood shed last night.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?