Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cueto: SF bullpen mound issues

Cruisin' for trouble

Cueto: SF bullpen mound issues

This from Cueto last night:

“I had two different pitcher’s mounds,” Cueto said, through a translator. “In the bullpen the mound is kind of flat. In the game, it’s like a regular mound. It was tough in the first inning to make an adjustment with my landing.”

So, yeah, the mounds were different, but Cueto was able to work it out. He observed that the mounds were different, but didn't actually complain about it.

Get that Tony?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cueto: SF bullpen mound issues

If this is typical home field advantage manuevering, MLB should have umpires do routine checks. Not that hard to police, I would think. Teams shouldn't be doing this kind of stuff, though I'm not surprised in the least that they do.

My guess is that not a whole lot of attention is given to bullpen mound specs. Maybe MLB should supervise their league. Quite a concept, I know. Maybe they can't afford to hire a person to do that.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    This from Cueto last night:

“I had two different pitcher’s mounds,” Cueto said, through a translator. “In the bullpen the mound is kind of flat. In the game, it’s like a regular mound. It was tough in the first inning to make an adjustment with my landing.”

So, yeah, the mounds were different, but Cueto was able to work it out. He observed that the mounds were different, but didn't actually complain about it.

Get that Tony?
    I don't think this is any different than what TLR was saying. This is complaining about it. Not talking about it at all would be not complaining about it.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

What question was asked?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    My guess is that not a whole lot of attention is given to bullpen mound specs. Maybe MLB should supervise their league. Quite a concept, I know. Maybe they can't afford to hire a person to do that.
    They wouldn't have to hire anyone. Let the umpires do it. When a new umpiring crew comes into the city they can take out a tape measure and see if it is the same as the mound on the playing field. This shouldn't take anymore than five minutes. But its too easy for MLB. The way they move at glacial speeds to change things this will never happen.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't think this is any different than what TLR was saying. This is complaining about it. Not talking about it at all would be not complaining about it.
    I agree. If we take off the Reds colored glasses, this is something that should be handled in house. Cueto would have been better off saying that the mound felt different in the bullpen.

When you say definitively there's a difference, you make yourself out to be an horses backside when someone goes out and measures them and finds they are the same height.

This is something Cueto should have said something to Dusty and/or Price, they should have had an umpire look at it today, and if they are different heights, the Giants should see a big big penalty.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Yep, and be sure we can count on a thread somewhere saying the Reds are whining.

And I say who gives a rats behind if there is?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    They wouldn't have to hire anyone. Let the umpires do it. When a new umpiring crew comes into the city they can take out a tape measure and see if it is the same as the mound on the playing field. This shouldn't take anymore than five minutes. But its too easy for MLB. The way they move at glacial speeds to change things this will never happen.
    Actually a league official shows up to check these things IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Actually a league official shows up to check these things IIRC.
    Its on them then. Cueto should have told Dusty or Price and let them take it the umpires or whoever to get it fixed. Not that much of issue anyway. It all turned out good in the end. I took Cueto's comments as a statement of fact and not really complaining.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Well......maybe it wasn't quite as whiny as the Cards approach.

Rockies head groundskeeper Mark Razum told The Denver Post that the bullpen and game mound were measured before Saturday's game and everything checked out fine.

But before Saturday's game, Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan and La Russa got into an animated argument about it.

Carpenter, a contender for the Cy Young Award, was blunt with his criticism Friday.

"The mound in the bullpen was way flatter. I don't know if they do it on purpose, but no question, it was different," Carpenter said.

Read more: La Russa angry over bullpen mound's height - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/commented/...#ixzz1OspvTf5l
    Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Only difference is that Cueto figured it out and was quite successful in spite of it.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I don't think it's quite the same. Cueto was, presumably, asked a direct question why he struggled in the first inning. He gave an answer that would explain his early struggles.

LaRussa was just pontificating as he usually does.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

The Reds should contract with a company that can provide them digital tools to instantaneously measure the mounds and compare them. The technology is there, it just has to be modified to do it. The Reds could issued their protest instantly with documentation.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    The Reds should contract with a company that can provide them digital tools to instantaneously measure the mounds and compare them. The technology is there, it just has to be modified to do it. The Reds could issued their protest instantly with documentation.
    Maybe we could tie it into Google Earth or CIA spy satellites and have a www.fieldmetrics.mlb.com.

Or use a tape measure and level.

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?