Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Paging Yonder Alonso...

Re: Paging Yonder Alonso...

Why does Chris Heisey get no love. He has the toughest job in the business or never starting and coming in and facing good pitchers and late defense replacement. The guy can't do anything more offensively and is a better defensive choice then most. He should be at least getting some starts. I just don't get it. CH already doing it in the majors. Alonzo is starting to hit and batting .322 in AAA. Big difference. Just frustrated that he gets no love. But I love you guys.

2. Turn Off Ads?

A lot of talk about left. Last I checked, Votto was on a 3 year deal that will be expiring at the end of 2013. His contract will be 17 million in 2013. There's a chance any move to left for Alonso may not be permanent. I hope the Reds can come to a deal with Joey and extend him before that contract ends, but I also have to look at alternatives.Alonso's contract runs out after 2012 and he is eligible for arbitration after that, but he may be seeing some time at first after 2013.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I've seen Gomes play a lot of games in left. Never seen Alonso play. But most people I've heard that have compared the two say Gomes is actually much-better defensively than Alonso. Are you disagreeing with this? Or are you saying Alonso has the potential to be as "good" as Gomes (as below average) after a few years of experience/working on playing out there?
    I would disagree with those who say Gomes is much better. If they saw Alonso in left last year, then they are probably right. But he is MUCH better this year, which tells you just how bad he was last year.

I think Gomes has improved substantially in left field. He can run ok and is much better defensively of late.

Of course, he isn't hitting at all. Gomes is an offensive player who is supplying little offense.

Francisco is just killing the ball at AAA. Alonso has had a fine season offensively so far. If Gomes doesn't hit, I'd prefer either of them in the major leagues, regardless of their defense and regardless of Gomes' defense.

The Reds could use another potent left handed bat IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    A lot of talk about left. Last I checked, Votto was on a 3 year deal that will be expiring at the end of 2013. His contract will be 17 million in 2013. There's a chance any move to left for Alonso may not be permanent. I hope the Reds can come to a deal with Joey and extend him before that contract ends, but I also have to look at alternatives.Alonso's contract runs out after 2012 and he is eligible for arbitration after that, but he may be seeing some time at first after 2013.
    Arbitration is based on service time. As of right now Alonso has somewhere in the neighborhood of two weeks service time, because of a procedural move to protect his options. If he came up tomorrow he would be eligible for arbitration following 2013, and free agency after 2016. I don't see him coming up tomorrow. If he gets pushed back to any point after July 1 (because he has accrued service time), add another year to those dates, because he would avoid super two status. When his current contract expires, if he is not eligible for free agency, or arbitration, the Reds will just tender him a league minimum contract in line with his accrued service time.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I have heard several people say that Gomes is improved on defense. I don't see it. I see a guy who has made several circus catches because he is so limited athletically, that he has to really bust his hump to make the catch, that others would make routinely.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Arbitration is based on service time. As of right now Alonso has somewhere in the neighborhood of two weeks service time, because of a procedural move to protect his options. If he came up tomorrow he would be eligible for arbitration following 2013, and free agency after 2016. I don't see him coming up tomorrow. If he gets pushed back to any point after July 1 (because he has accrued service time), add another year to those dates, because he would avoid super two status. When his current contract expires, if he is not eligible for free agency, or arbitration, the Reds will just tender him a league minimum contract in line with his accrued service time.
    Don't players need six years of service time before becoming a free agent?
    If Alonso was called up tomorrow he wouldn't have six years of service time after the 2016 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Don't players need six years of service time before becoming a free agent?
    If Alonso was called up tomorrow he wouldn't have six years of service time after the 2016 season.
    He would qualify as a super two for arbitration, and would be close on the service time, but you are likely right it would probably be 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    He would qualify as a super two for arbitration, and would be close on the service time, but you are likely right it would probably be 2017.
    makes sense.

i suspect that we will see Alonso in left once the Reds feel that the super two cutoff is past.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Thanks.

Was he talking overall or just defensively.
    Just defensively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1 View Post
    Why does Chris Heisey get no love. He has the toughest job in the business or never starting and coming in and facing good pitchers and late defense replacement. The guy can't do anything more offensively and is a better defensive choice then most. He should be at least getting some starts. I just don't get it. CH already doing it in the majors. Alonzo is starting to hit and batting .322 in AAA. Big difference. Just frustrated that he gets no love. But I love you guys.
    Here's Dusty's take on this. And I tend to agree with what he is saying:

As for the Heisey question that’s been asked and answered time and again, by all parties involved, here are some long-form quotes from Baker about how he uses Heisey and what his big picture thoughts about him:

“Everybody was screaming for Nix to play before. They were screaming for Dickerson to play and then they screamed for Gomes, how come Gomes isn’t playing every day? Then they were screaming about sending Stubbs out of here and they were screaming about sending Bruce out of here.”
    http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2011/05/19/heisey-start/

Who was screaming for Laynce Nix to play? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Who was screaming for Laynce Nix to play? lol
    No doubt. Maybe he needed more names for effect? I really don't see the need to bring up Alonso right now to play LF if he's going to give up as many or more runs than he'll produce (never seen him play, just going by those that have seen him have said). At this point I'd give Heisey a 2 week look in LF and bat him 2nd (or 6th if you put Bruce back in the 2 hole). Get the flippin' SS down to 8th where their (pick one) .240 bat and woeful OB% doesn't get in the way of Votto and Phillips. If Heisey tanks then maybe you can look to AAA. Maybe Sappelt will be back by then as an option. At least Heisey has a glove.

From Cot's:

# 5 years/$4.55M (2008-12)

signed Major League contract with Cincinnati 8/15/08
    * $2M signing bonus
    * 08:$50,000, 09:$0.4M, 10:$0.5M, 11:$0.6M, 12:$1M
    * if eligible, Alonso may opt for arbitration after 2011
    I'm guessing that since he's under a major league contract-2008, 2009, and 2010 count as his 3 years of MLB service. I could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    From Cot's:

# 5 years/$4.55M (2008-12)

I'm guessing that since he's under a major league contract-2008, 2009, and 2010 count as his 3 years of MLB service. I could be wrong though.
    I could be wrong myself. But I believe service time pretty much requires you to be on the 25 man roster (or DL).

Turn Off Ads?