Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Alonso outfield defense

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Alonso outfield defense

Hey gang, I've reading posts over in the Old Red Guard and many have asked about how good/bad Yonder's defense is. I am at almost every home game for the Bats and to put it simply....he is horrible. He constantly takes bad angles on hits, can not get a good jump on the ball. His arm is decent and he moves back on a ball ok. I'm not a Gomes fan, but he is far and away better than Alonso is at this point. Alonso may get better, but right now he is just not ready, imo.

Re: Alonso outfield defense

Quote Originally Posted by double2gap View Post
    Hey gang, I've reading posts over in the Old Red Guard and many have asked about how good/bad Yonder's defense is. I am at almost every home game for the Bats and to put it simply....he is horrible. He constantly takes bad angles on hits, can not get a good jump on the ball. His arm is decent and he moves back on a ball ok. I'm not a Gomes fan, but he is far and away better than Alonso is at this point. Alonso may get better, but right now he is just not ready, imo.
    I would say he needs a full year at AAA and lets see how he looks come ST of next year...

I definitely agree. The front office must think he can do it, but he will need time to adjust. I personally don't think he is the answer to our left field needs right now. If they need to bring someone up, I think Sappelt or Frazier are the better choices at this time. I also like Dorn, but I don't think the FO is very high on him.

So how is Sappelt really doing? Can he be the guy we need to lead off and play left? I really like the idea of him, but that doesn't mean much.

We've been trying to bring him up for a while, giving him a few chances, then sending him back down, then a few chances, then back down. I know he has a ton of talent I just with that he could get some solid pt so we could see what he could do.

Sappelt has looked very strong. He started off the season in the leadoff spot, but did not run very much. He has since been moved to the three hole, where he has done very well. His outfield play is very strong (he has to be to cover Alonso ). I'm not sure he is the answer to our leadoff needs. I need to see him more at that spot to form an opinion.

isn't he on the DL with a oblique injury which can linger for a long while..

He is on the DL, but should be close to coming off. That is if he is ready. I am not sure as to what the injury was.

Turn Off Ads?