Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should the Reds start to think LTC for Stubbs?

Should the Reds start to think LTC for Stubbs?

What say you? I say absolutely.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should the Reds start to think LTC for Stubbs?

Yep. He can be my CF for the next 5-6 years.

We went 6/51 on Bruce, what do you think..............6/40-45 on Stubbs?

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    We went 6/51 on Bruce, what do you think..............6/40-45 on Stubbs?
    Gotta figure nothing will get done till the offseason. With 2 solid years of production in the bank (assuming), I would go 6 yr 45-50 million.

I think so. He'll be arbitration eligible after next season, so this offseason it might be worth giving a look.

Worst-case scenario, you do it after next year and avoid arb. But historically, you get a more favorable discount if you do it the year prior.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Now is the time to lock him down. He can stay here for a long, long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Yes! He's really going to improve and be a star. Mark it down. I'd go 5/30.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

What's the hurry? I'd wait till after next season.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Maybe through his arb years, but as an older prospect his status as an elite defender in CF should decline post arb, and he's unlikely to improve as a hitter (ie. he's reached his potential).

Believe me, I have been as big a Stubbs supporter as anyone, but he would ideally be a trade candidate before free agency hits just because I don't think he's a long term great bet to be worth the substantial contract required.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Maybe through his arb years, but as an older prospect his status as an elite defender in CF should decline post arb, and he's unlikely to improve as a hitter (ie. he's reached his potential).

Believe me, I have been as big a Stubbs supporter as anyone, but he would ideally be a trade candidate before free agency hits just because I don't think he's a long term great bet to be worth the substantial contract required.
    Agreed.
    I guess it depends on everyone's definition of long term, though. I would be fine with the Reds buying out his arbitration years and ok with including 1 year of F.A. (although it could get more costly). I don't think it makes sense to sign him to a real long term deal, like 6+ years. You could possibly be overpaying by then.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Just some perspective as I think Stubbs is sometimes over shadowed.

In 2010, he had a WAR of 3.4.
    The 3 OF ranked directly above him were BJ Upton, Corey Hart, and Andrew McCutchon.
    The 3 OF ranked directly below him were Justin Upton, Hunter Pence, and Ben Zobrist.

In 2011, he is on pace for a WAR of 4.7.
    Last edited by kaldaniels; 05-14-2011 at 10:21 PM.

It looks to me like he's improving as a hitter. Really solidifying things with an opposite field and up the middle approach much of the time. Great stolen base % so far too. I've been surprised at how well he's settled into the leadoff spot.

If he can maintain consistency, he's an all star CF. And, to be honest, to me he looks like a better all around player than Bruce right now. Let the year play out, and then see what kind of multiyear deal makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    It looks to me like he's improving as a hitter. Really solidifying things with an opposite field and up the middle approach much of the time. Great stolen base % so far too. I've been surprised at how well he's settled into the leadoff spot.

If he can maintain consistency, he's an all star CF. And, to be honest, to me he looks like a better all around player than Bruce right now. Let the year play out, and then see what kind of multiyear deal makes sense.
    Agreed completely. I answered the initial question yes, cause of course you start to think about it now. But before anyone signs on the line, I'd like to see 2 full seasons of production from him.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    What's the hurry? I'd wait till after next season.
    Leverage.

The sooner you do it before arbitration the more, typically, you save long term.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Stubbs is terrific.

I just wish Dusty would play Freddie Lewis more in left field. And I'd prefer Lewis as a leadoff guy.

Lewis, Phillips, Votto, Rolen, Bruce, Stubbs, Catcher, Janish works for me.

Drew is a very good clutch hitter and hitting him fifth or sixth would allow him to knock in more runs.

In any event, by all means they should sign him for a few years. He is a real talent.

Turn Off Ads?