Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should the Reds start to think LTC for Stubbs?

Re: Should the Reds start to think LTC for Stubbs?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I see a lot to like with Drew Stubbs. And he will be an All Star someday. Mark it down. He has the talent and all he lacks is seasoning.
    I totally agree. As frustrating as his strikeout rate is, we have to keep in mind that it's only his 2nd season...and even with it, he's killing it, per his WAR.

2. Turn Off Ads?

JoJo was correct in pointing out that up until now, Stubbs had not been an elite center fielder... up till now.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    How many of those guys are Reds?Stubbs has been valuable but not the most valuable.

As far as WAR goes I understand that it combines offensive stats and defensive stats and then comes up with a number that gives you a value for a player based on the wins that player creates compared to a replacement level player.The thing I don't understand is why many people say that you really need to look at a full season and sometimes multiple season for WAR to be valid.To me it should be as cut and dry as the numbers used to come up with it if those numbers are taken seriously and I assume they are.So what's the deal?Sorry to get off subject.
    Fangraph's UZR primer provides an excellent explanation of WAR's defensive component.

Shorter, if one needs a larger sample, go back two years. You'll still find Stubbs ranked in the top 35 of MLB (along with Votto, Bruce and Phillips.)

Having four guys valued top 35 since 2010 is pretty nice.

Get Jose Reyes, bat Stubbs sixth. It's just my opinion, but in the 6 hole, he'll lull catchers to sleep and steal more. He's got the power for a middle of the order bat. His SB% this year is phenomenal, so every single is a potential double. he provides protection for Rolen and Bruce.

And yeah, I'm on board for a LTC. see? I can change my opinion.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Hey nate, have you ever posted that primer before? I've never seen it

"So Fla Red"

LTC for sure after this season. Easy call although I believe he is under Reds control through 2015 regardless.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Hey nate, have you ever posted that primer before? I've never seen it
    I think I've posted it at a rate similar to the frequency of stories about Dusty playing with Hank Aaron!

This has got to be one of the better catches I've seen in a long time. Look at how far Stubbs traveled to catch that - a line drive too.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/video...77986&c_id=cin

He's a special talent in CF.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    This has got to be one of the better catches I've seen in a long time. Look at how far Stubbs traveled to catch that - a line drive too.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/video...77986&c_id=cin

He's a special talent in CF.
    The ball appeared to be tailing away from him too; it was an unbelievable catch. More remarkable is that he made it look almost effortless.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Mind blowing stat of the day for me....

Here we are on the last day of May, and according to fangraphs only 14 position players have a higher WAR than Drew Stubbs.
    I wrote that 2 weeks ago. My naked eye hasn't been that impressed with Drew the past 14 days.

But now only 13 position players have a higher WAR than Stubbs.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    The ball appeared to be tailing away from him too; it was an unbelievable catch. More remarkable is that he made it look almost effortless.
    The way he plays in CF is how I imagine Joe DiMaggio played in CF.

Now if only he could hit like DiMaggio.

And Baseball Reference has him listed as tied for 10th in WAR among position players.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I wrote that 2 weeks ago. My naked eye hasn't been that impressed with Drew the past 14 days.

But now only 13 position players have a higher WAR than Stubbs.
    Yep, after listening to callers berate him on Sunday morning Sportstalk, someone got Lance a list of how bad a leadoff hitter Stubbs is.

As of Sunday
    Drew Stubbs among leadoff batters
    47 runs (1st)
    29 walks (T-2nd)
    18 SB (4th)
    9 HR (2nd)
    28 RBI (T-2nd)
    88 K (1st)
    12 2B (T-8th)
    22 EXBH (5th)
    4.17 Pitches per plate appearance (3rd)
    41 Runs created (4th)

The lineup problems reside at LF, SS, and 3B.
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 06-14-2011 at 08:02 AM.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I'd certainly lock him up for the next 5-6 years. He's quickly become a favorite of mine. Having him and Bruce locked up would be a huge bonus IMO.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Yep, after listening to callers berate him on Sunday morning Sportstalk, someone got Lance a list of how bad a leadoff hitter Stubbs is.

The lineup problems reside at LF, SS, and 3B.
    Funny thing is, I think Stubbs could be even MORE productive as a #2 hitter with a high OBP burner in front of him. With someone like Reyes on base, Stubbs would see many more fastballs. And his strike out propensity would prevent him from hitting into very many double plays.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?