Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: It's time to send Chapman to AAA

Re: It's time to send Chapman to AAA

Would they be able to bring Fisher back up right now? I thought there was a period of 10-15 days where a guy has to stay in AAA unless there's an injury. (Perhaps the Reds come up with a mysterious DL appearance by Chapman.)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    It's interesting Cumberland, I'm actually not sure his mindset isn't better suited to relieving than starting. He seems to be able to handle the short quick focus of relieving better than the long process of 4-5 days between starts.

Do you mind if I ask what makes you believe he'd be a better starter than reliever?
    My only reasoning is that he was mainly a starter in Cuba and that's just what he is used to. The Reds original intent,I'm sure was for him to be a starter too. Once you have that mindset it may be hard to go the other way. At least for some anyway. Either way he can't pitch in the big leagues or anywhere with the control he has now. He has to get that worked out.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Well, according to Price, it's purely a mechanical adjustment that needs to be made. I think Brantley said that he had a good bullpen session too, which I assumes means that Chapman was throwing strikes..

I know Chapman looks like a disaster, but I am willing to trust Dusty/Price if they want to keep him up here a little bit longer. It's hard to tell which would be more damaging to his pshyce.. If you send Chapman down to the minors, is he going to have anxiety when he comes back up and has to throw a strike? If I remember, Ankiel got to the point where he could throw fine in the minors and the bullpen, but not in a ML game.

Despite Marty getting all upset yesterday, Chapman did not really kill us yesterday. Obviously, it was disappointing, but not fatal.

On a side note. Who would've thought in spring training that on May 15, both Arrendo and Chapman would be in mop up duty?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post

Despite Marty getting all upset yesterday, Chapman did not really kill us yesterday. Obviously, it was disappointing, but not fatal.
    No, AC didn't kill us yesterday. But as big a question has to be how many times do you want to see Masset, Ondrusek, Bray, etc put into these types of situations? That's what'll eventually kill us.

Cruisin' for trouble

I know there are some that took issue with the way Dusty handled the staff yesterday, but I thought he was right on point. He got Arredondo his first action and tried to give Chapman an opportunity. While Chapman didn't work out, Dusty gave him every chance to do so.

The Reds have the Cubs and Pirates the next four days. I would think it likely that another opportunity arises for Dusty to give Chapman a chance. If it doesn't work, then they send Chapman out - but what if he DOES put it together? It's not like Chapman was throwing like Ankiel; he was not that far off.

In his last three appearances he's completed 1/3rd of an inning and been charged with 8 earned runs on 9 walks and two batted balls, one which was luckily his lone out. Since the first of May he has thrown 92 pitches and recorded 4 outs in 4 appearances, walking 12 men in the duration.

Cruisin' for trouble

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    In his last three appearances he's completed 1/3rd of an inning and been charged with 8 earned runs on 9 walks and two batted balls, one which was luckily his lone out. Since the first of May he has thrown 92 pitches and recorded 4 outs in 4 appearances, walking 12 men in the duration.
    I guess I would be more concerned if we were reading that Chapman was not having success in bullpen sessions. At this point, I lean towards trusting the instincts of Price with regard to Chapman. I don't want to speculate as to their thinking, but there has to be a reason Chapman isn't a Bat, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    I know there are some that took issue with the way Dusty handled the staff yesterday, but I thought he was right on point. He got Arredondo his first action and tried to give Chapman an opportunity. While Chapman didn't work out, Dusty gave him every chance to do so.
    I have a problem with the fact that he left him in long enough to walk in a run....the reason being he had no one warmed up yet to go in. Someone should've been available to come in after Chapman walked the second batter.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Bruce Berenyi was the wildest pitcher I ever saw in a Reds uniform

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...0010031982.htm
    How quickly we forget...Luke Hudson

Actually this whole thing is looking like Rob Dibble's last year here in 1993 when he walked more than one per inning

You can't absorb performances like that very often. Eventually it costs you ballgames and/or it wipes out your pen for a game or two.

I can't see how they'd let this happen more than a couple more times. A change of scene may be the fix he needs anyway.

This is a delicate situation that goes well beyond just giving him a one way bus ticket to Louisville. Kid new to the States, probably has never experienced failure, doesn't have a support system here in the US like others may. Will be interesting to see what takes place, I could see him DLed just to keep him with the guys he knows.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    You can't absorb performances like that very often. Eventually it costs you ballgames and/or it wipes out your pen for a game or two.

I can't see how they'd let this happen more than a couple more times. A change of scene may be the fix he needs anyway.
    I don't think this can be fixed with side sessions. Dusty and Mark Price seem to feel otherwise. Time will tell who's right

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    This is a delicate situation that goes well beyond just giving him a one way bus ticket to Louisville. Kid new to the States, probably has never experienced failure, doesn't have a support system here in the US like others may. Will be interesting to see what takes place, I could see him DLed just to keep him with the guys he knows.
    He was in LOU most of last year and it didn't hurt him a bit. Is this endorsement deal from Cincinnati Bell keeping him up here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Here's what I know to be true:

1. Chapman cannot be trusted to pitch in any situation, other than a game where you've been hopelessly blown out and it's a choice between him or a position player.

2. The Reds don't have an off-day for a long stretch of days.

3. Every inning Chapman cannot throw is another inning that someone else must throw in his place.

I understand it's probably difficult for Aroldis, but I don't see the point in taxing the good arms you have in the pen -- arms the team will need down the stretch this season -- to cover for a guy that can't go into ballgames and is working through mechanical issues.

He survived at Louisville last season. He'll survive down there this year if they send him down. Heck, he's even got a fellow Cuban on the roster with him there in Yonder Alonso.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

This is a delicate situation that goes well beyond just giving him a one way bus ticket to Louisville.
    I don't understand why it's so delicate. Jorge Posada is delicate. This is an inexperienced kid with loads of options remaining that needs more seasoning. What's the problem?

Turn Off Ads?