Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: RedsZone Malware Attack Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by mikdavrut View Post
    Boss-Hog, please don't think in ANY way whatsoever that I blame you or RedsZone for this...it isn't your guys fault whatsoever. It's just one of those things that happens. And yes, me not keeping my antivirus, etc. up-to-date and running made me EXTREMELY susceptible. I was actually thinking I might not have gotten it from RZ, but 3 ppl. who all seemed to become infected the same day/around the same time makes me almost 100% certain that it came from here. I think it's just too much of a coincidence to think otherwise.

But once again, it's NOT your fault and I'm NOT upset w/you or w/Redszone....nothing like that at all. So no need for you to apologize about it Boss!

Alls well that ends well, and thus far, it appears as though, if I have not gotten it 100% entirely, I've gotten rid of most of it and most everything that it disrupted on my computer. I have Thursday off, so I'm going to take some time Thursday night and go through my computer quite intensely, making sure that I either have it 100% done away with or that I get whatever aspects might possibly be left of it.

One thing I am no longer going to do is leave my computer running 24/7. Up until this happened, I NEVER shut my computer off (only when going away on vacation, etc. where I would be away for like a week or better), but otherwise, my computer ran all the time. Now, anytime I leave or am going to be away from it for a while, I go ahead and shut it down. I've really narrowed out a lot of programs I had that were set to "start up @ start up" which could make starting my computer up seemingly take FOREVER, but now, I only have like one prog. the starts @ start up, so it takes no-time for my computer to boot up now which makes shutting it down/rebooting up no big deal now.

I hope the guy that said all of his parents files got wiped out reads this thread and tries the unhide.exe prog. - I would hate to see his parents "lose" their files, thinking they're gone when the malware has simply "hidden" them. I've had a HD crash before and lost hundreds and hundreds of files and I darn well KNOW what a total pain in the butt that is. It can be a damn near nightmare to be honest, depending upon how many/what type of files you have. Kinda makes a person give serious thought to signing up for one of those "Carbonite" type programs! They're pretty inexpensive and if a HD DOES actually fail, they have all of your files backed up for you! I very well might go ahead and sign up for one of those services, I just think it would be worth every penny!!!

Oh yeah Boss, thanks for keeping us all updated on this as well!

Take Care man!
    No problem...thank you for the nice (and thorough) post.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RedsZone Malware Attack Discussion

My computer was attacked Saturday. It looked like my HD was crashing and a pop up prompted me to click to run anti-virus software. I'm not a computer techie but it looked fishy to me so I quickly shut down and ran a system restore. Not sure if it was the right thing to do or not but it seems to be okay now. All of my files and documents were lost but I found them today as hidden files. Just wanted to share about the hidden files...

Spiritedway

Long time browser of this forum, first time poster.

I received this attack on Saturday as a guest browsing the forums.

I noticed it was taking a really long time to load the pages here, to the point of after waiting 3 minutes I eventually gave up quit the browser. Tried once more then quit again. (during the long loads it must have been installing)

I left for the store and when I came back I noticed my computer acting funny. About one out of every 10 clicks it sent me to a website I did not click on.

Then windows defender popped up and was telling me I had a few backdoor Trojans. Windows defender was not successful in getting rid of them so I looked for a different program.

Downloaded and ran free AVG anti-virus version and eventually got rid of it.

First trojan I've ever had that I know of. Sneaky people out there.

Anyhow, I love browsing the forums and will continue to visit.

Thanks, Jake.

Anyone experience any malware/virus issues as of late? I tried to log in here from another PC last night and believe I may have gotten some kind of virus just from starting to type my log on. It wouldn't allow me to finish typing it and then I had this fake (i'm assuming) window/alert pop up and couldn't close it so I hit the scan button attached to said alert and the next thing I know this thing is shutting down this PC due to "lack of hard drive space" or something along those lines (this after the scan took place). I eventually get the PC back up but now my desktop icons and programs are inaccessible (not even visible). Unfortunately it wasn't my PC and could be a big problem for me, anyone know of anything?

Also Macafee seemed to make note of something at that time as well.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 08-27-2011 at 06:57 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I haven't tempted fate, certainly not at work. Only time other than using Tapatalk on the iPhone it's been on Chrome (very limited).
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Anyone experience any malware/virus issues as of late? I tried to log in here from another PC last night and believe I may have gotten some kind of virus just from starting to type my log on. It wouldn't allow me to finish typing it and then I had this fake (i'm assuming) window/alert pop up and couldn't close it so I hit the scan button attached to said alert and the next thing I know this thing is shutting down this PC due to "lack of hard drive space" or something along those lines (this after the scan took place). I eventually get the PC back up but now my desktop icons and programs are inaccessible (not even visible). Unfortunately it wasn't my PC and could be a big problem for me, anyone know of anything?

Also Macafee seemed to make note of something at that time as well.
    Whatever attacked probably changed the attributes on the files (I.e made them hidden which is easy enough to change back). Boot into safe mode and kill the with a malwarebytes scan and virus can...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

The attack might have changed programs in the start menu etc too so you might want o check that as well...

For anyone who uses Mozilla for their browser, it has a great extension called adblock plus. With a few free subscriptions, it seems to block all of the flash ads that contribute to malware attacks.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Whatever attacked probably changed the attributes on the files (I.e made them hidden which is easy enough to change back). Boot into safe mode and kill the with a malwarebytes scan and virus can...
    Thanks for the info Jojo, that seems like what may have happened. Problem is I was at work and not sure I can pull that off myself without other potential issues. Man I am gonna get spanked for this one.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Yep find out that RZ was indeed the site we got the virus from, the IT guy confirmed it. Just a heads up for Boss and GIK. Again as soon as I started to type my screen name into the log in box it just started acting up/freezing up and I couldn't get past "mar" so keep an eye out.

--Woody Hayes

We had this issue previously with one of the flash ads.. Is it back?
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I got a virus warning when going to redszone on Friday. Luckily my anti-virus software caught it and deleted it, so no harm done.

If this continues to happen, I would like to see alternative advertisement methods. I don't really care about ads either way, until they start compromising redzone members computers.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I'm not saying that it didn't come from the ads, because I really don't know, but I tend to trust Google on something like providing ads that are safe from viruses and malware. What makes you positive it's due to the RedsZone Adsense ads?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I'm not saying that it didn't come from the ads, because I really don't know, but I tend to trust Google on something like providing ads that are safe from viruses and malware. What makes you positive it's due to the RedsZone Adsense ads?
    As someone who also used adsense in the past, there have been a few times where malware/viruses snuck themselves into the ads.

All,

Until I'm able to pinpoint if the issue is coming from a virus and/or malware or from the AdSense ads, I've disabled the latter. Now that they've been temporarily turned off, please let me know immediately if you continue to encounter any of these problems, as that would be very helpful in identifying the root cause.

I'm going to request that our host run a complete virus and malware scan and go from there. I will keep you posted on the progress and I sincerely apologize for any problems this may have caused.

Turn Off Ads?