Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 145

Thread: RedsZone Malware Attack Discussion

  1. #31
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,072
    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Could somebody have made a post with an offending URL? Maybe you can take a look at posts made by new users or with few posts?
    Possibly, but that shouldn't knock out the entire site, right? Our host is running the malware scan now and will let us know the results once it's complete.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,174

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    I'm guessing some cards fan reported the site. If that's the case, real classy...

  4. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    154

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    I posted what happened to my computer after leaving Redszone up & running for about 4 - 5 hours in the SunDeck forum. NO CLUE if it actually happened due to Redszone, but I spent 4 - 5 hours last night getting rid of a bunch of malware, then today noticed that I had a "redirect" trojan/virus/whatever (in other words when doing any search engine searches, when I would click on the results, I would immediately be redirected to a fake page). Took me FOREVER to get rid of it (finally got rid of it about 30 min. ago, if that and started trying around 6 this evening). Finally found a program called Hitman Pro that did the trick the SECOND time I did a scan w/it (I think I made a mistake while deleting the stuff that it found after the first scan). I tried everything minus the kitchen sink (prog. after prog. after prog.) and though they ALL found crap like cookies and non-major threats, the 2nd scan with the Hman FINALLY appears to have found the offender (crossing my fingers).

    Like I said, I'm not blaming Redszone, but it IS weird that I got this infection somewhere between the start of Sat. game and the games conclusion and this is the site I was on (and left on) while I was away watching the game, and it appears that between that same time period and throughout Sunday, all these users are getting these "attack" notifications/warnings. Factually, all I know is that Pre-game Sat., no computer/internet problems....post game, TONS of problems, malware up the butt. And HOURS of work getting rid of everything (IF I even HAVE gotten rid of everything, I sure am hoping - at least I appear to have gotten rid of the worst of it).

    Boss-Hog, I'll be really interested in what you find out after your host does/completes their malware scan. Everyone else, just be cautious and if anyone DOES end up having problems and you need some help, PM me, I check RZ daily and believe me, I learned a TON while trying a TON of things getting my crap back to normal, so maybe I can save you a ton of time. Hopefully noone else will have any problems though!

  5. #34
    Member CrackerJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    5,001

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    I'm having no problems with any sort of warnings for malware from Avast. Someone either hacked the site and inserted code with a false positive, or someone clicked on a bad ad and reported, or their browser reported, that it was infected as a result of clicking the link or downloading something.

    Sounds like it is not a big deal, just a warning that needs to be removed.


    Google's results help shed some light on it I think:


    The Google

    Diagnostic page for redszone.com

    What is the current listing status for redszone.com?
    Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

    Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 1 time(s) over the past 90 days.

    What happened when Google visited this site?
    Of the 7 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 1 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2011-05-15, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2011-05-15.
    Malicious software includes 1 exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 1 new process(es) on the target machine.

    Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including 65.75.129.0/.

    This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS40244 (TURNKEY).

    Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?
    Over the past 90 days, redszone.com did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

    Has this site hosted malware?
    No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

    How did this happen?
    In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

    Next steps:
    Return to the previous page.
    If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of
    Last edited by CrackerJack; 05-16-2011 at 12:44 AM.

  6. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    154

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    I'm having no problems with any sort of warnings for malware from Avast. Someone either hacked the site and inserted code with a false positive, or someone clicked on a bad ad and reported, or their browser reported, that it was infected as a result of clicking the link or downloading something.

    Sounds like it is not a big deal, just a warning that needs to be removed.


    Google's results help shed some light on it I think:
    If it's just a false warning, then it must just be a complete coincidence that this site had anything at all to do with the problems I experienced, I just thought the timing was odd, seeing as I "appeared" to have become infected sometime during the Reds/Cards game Sat. and between that time and Sun. seems to be when users of this site began experiencing the "warnings".

    Let me add that I am one of those morons that always lets their antivirus expire and then basically runs their computer unprotected. I have purchased 4 new computers since 2006, done the same with all of said computers and have NEVER had any infections, etc. (just getting rid of tracking cookies, etc. via running ad-aware or programs of that ilk). Yesterdays malware infection was my first time experiencing such a thing. So I could have picked it up somewhere else and it just chose to "show itself" after the game yesterday.

    So yeah, this site may very well have nothing wrong with it at all, I just wanted to report the problems I experienced after reading that others were getting the warnings. As I mentioned in a previous post on the matter, this particular form of malware seems to be going around like hotfire in the past 3 - 5 months or so.

  7. #36
    Member CrackerJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    5,001

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by mikdavrut View Post
    If it's just a false warning, then it must just be a complete coincidence that this site had anything at all to do with the problems I experienced, I just thought the timing was odd, seeing as I "appeared" to have become infected sometime during the Reds/Cards game Sat. and between that time and Sun. seems to be when users of this site began experiencing the "warnings".

    Let me add that I am one of those morons that always lets their antivirus expire and then basically runs their computer unprotected. I have purchased 4 new computers since 2006, done the same with all of said computers and have NEVER had any infections, etc. (just getting rid of tracking cookies, etc. via running ad-aware or programs of that ilk). Yesterdays malware infection was my first time experiencing such a thing. So I could have picked it up somewhere else and it just chose to "show itself" after the game yesterday.

    So yeah, this site may very well have nothing wrong with it at all, I just wanted to report the problems I experienced after reading that others were getting the warnings. As I mentioned in a previous post on the matter, this particular form of malware seems to be going around like hotfire in the past 3 - 5 months or so.
    If your PC had a virus/malware while you were on or posting on RZ, then it's possible it was detected, certain browsers picked it up (RZ uses Google ads, Chrome is clearly showing a warning message), so yeah probably something pretty minor. Awful sensitive security measures from Google or the host or someone though, not sure. Did you click on any of the Google ads, either by accident or not?

    I don't think your original post accused RZ of anything, always good to bring that kind of thing to their attention (your PC was clearly infected at the time).

  8. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    154

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    If your PC had a virus/malware while you were on or posting on RZ, then it's possible it was detected, certain browsers picked it up (RZ uses Google ads, Chrome is clearly showing a warning message), so yeah probably something pretty minor. Awful sensitive security measures from Google or the host or someone though, not sure. Did you click on any of the Google ads, either by accident or not?

    I don't think your original post accused RZ of anything, always good to bring that kind of thing to their attention (your PC was clearly infected at the time).
    To be fair, Fri. night/early AM Sat., I DID visit a MySpace site and I remember back when I used to actually use MySpace I had a few minor problems with some prog. "appearing" to be doing a "scan" and finding "problems" - though it never appeared to have ever infected my computers or anything. But, when I visited that MS site, that was the 1st time I had been on MS in a LONG time (I long ago gave up on/quit using MS as I just think it completely went down the crapper with all the changes they made in the last yr. or two, plus Fbook is just so much better for that kind of thing). I just happened to remember that I had visited that MS page very briefly so it's VERY possibly I picked it up from there. The only other site I visited previous to that happening was my Facebook profile, and though I don't think it's likely, it COULD have been picked up there as well. I HAVE read of others complaining about picking up malware via Facebook as of late.

    So yeah, I def. was not blaming Redszone as I actually thought it was very unlikely that I would pick up malware from here, but I DID think it was kind of ironic that other users began getting those warning msgs. at that very same range in time.

    And no, I'm nearly positive that I did NOT click on any of the ads on this site, if I did do so, it was by complete accident and I didn't notice doing so.

    Oh well, hopefully I finally got rid of all the offenders on my PC and this whole mess is over with for me. I do look forward to reading what Boss-Hog gets reported back to him concerning the site hosts malware scan. Hopefully it is indeed nothing.

    The ONLY problem I have personally ever experienced w/RedsZone is it does tend to go VERY slowly quite often as of late (not sure why, this just started within the past month or two for me personally, main problem being that it made it very difficult to participate in a timely manner to "game threads" - by the time I could get my post up, the play was long over and my reply was about as worthless as could be ).

    Oh well, like you said, it's prob. absolutely nothing ado w/this site and I most almost assuredly already infected.

  9. #38
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,675

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by mikdavrut View Post
    The ONLY problem I have personally ever experienced w/RedsZone is it does tend to go VERY slowly quite often as of late (not sure why, this just started within the past month or two for me personally, main problem being that it made it very difficult to participate in a timely manner to "game threads" - by the time I could get my post up, the play was long over and my reply was about as worthless as could be ).
    That couldn't have happened to you more than maybe.... twice?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  10. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    154

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    That couldn't have happened to you more than maybe.... twice?
    Well, no (I think you're judging by my post count) - I have posted on this site more than what my post count appears to show. I have no clue why I'm just showing to have like 5 or 6 posts? I'm thinking that when you make a post in a "game thread" it does not count towards your post count (at least, any and every post I have made in any game threads have NOT added to my post count).

    But, to be fair to what you are saying, I have not posted often in game threads. I was going to start, but the problems with the lag during the last game thread I attempted to participate in were so bad, I just gave up. My last attempt to post in a game thread was prob. a month or so ago. I now forget which series it was.

    Maybe I will try again soon as, in the past week or so, RZ seems to be running more smoothly for me.

    *ETA - I've also noticed that posts to this forum also do not count towards post count, or at least have not been for me, so I'm assuming that is correct. *

  11. #40
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,815

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    I had problems with the site yesterday, I logged off of RedsZone then logged back in and it seems to have helped.

  12. #41
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,072

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    All,

    As an update, my host finished the malware scan and found one problematic file, which I removed. I also replaced one of the vBulletin files mentioned in this thread with the original. The warning message we're receiving from Google does not magically go away after the malware is (hopefully) removed; instead, you have to submit a request for them to review your site and if it's determined to be clean, they will take down the message. I've requested they review the site and will continue to keep you all posted in this thread. Thanks for your patience...believe me, this is very frustrating from my end, too.

  13. #42
    '19 '40 '75 '76 '90
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    782

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    Thanks for the update.

  14. #43
    '19 '40 '75 '76 '90
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    782

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    I also want to post how to turn this warning system off for Firefox. Please note that doing this will disable malicious warnings for every website and not just redzone.com.

    Go to Tools > Options > Security > Uncheck 'block reported attack sites' > OK

  15. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    154

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    All,

    As an update, my host finished the malware scan and found one problematic file, which I removed. I also replaced one of the vBulletin files mentioned in this thread with the original. The warning message we're receiving from Google does not magically go away after the malware is (hopefully) removed; instead, you have to submit a request for them to review your site and if it's determined to be clean, they will take down the message. I've requested they review the site and will continue to keep you all posted in this thread. Thanks for your patience...believe me, this is very frustrating from my end, too.
    Boss-Hog, was it at all possible that the malware my computer became infected with could have possibly came from Redszone? I'm just curious (not upset about it or anything like that, I'm just trying to pinpoint exactly where I DID get infected more than anything else). You mentioned there was one problematic file found, so I'm just curious as to if it WAS at least possible or not? My main suspect is a MySpace page I viewed sometime around 1 - 2AM Sat. morning. But if it WAS that page, I'm curious as to why the infection did not show up until sometime around 6 or 7PM Sat. evening.

    Like I said, just trying to narrow the possibilities down.

    Thanks a lot and I hope everything gets easily resolved for you!

  16. #45
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,072

    Re: Site Feedback/Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by mikdavrut View Post
    Boss-Hog, was it at all possible that the malware my computer became infected with could have possibly came from Redszone? I'm just curious (not upset about it or anything like that, I'm just trying to pinpoint exactly where I DID get infected more than anything else). You mentioned there was one problematic file found, so I'm just curious as to if it WAS at least possible or not? My main suspect is a MySpace page I viewed sometime around 1 - 2AM Sat. morning. But if it WAS that page, I'm curious as to why the infection did not show up until sometime around 6 or 7PM Sat. evening.

    Like I said, just trying to narrow the possibilities down.

    Thanks a lot and I hope everything gets easily resolved for you!
    This is not really my area of expertise, but yeah, I suppose it's possible - particularly if your virus updates were out of date, as you mentioned. I'm not positive from your posts, but if it occurred on Saturday, then I'm pretty confident that it did not come from RZ since no one was aware of any related problems until yesterday (Sunday) afternoon; if it occurred yesterday, then it is definitely possible. If the latter, I'm not saying 100% for sure that's what caused the problem, but as best I can tell, it's possible, though I've not heard of anyone else that has been infected by this. Others that are more knowledgeable in this area can probably better assist you, though.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25