Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: RedsZone Malware Attack Discussion

Re: RedsZone Malware Attack Discussion

All,

I have re-enabled ads after making one major change: I have disabled all Google AdSense ads from Google certified networks. We're trying to pinpoint what in the ads has caused this problem, so your feedback would be extremely valuable...we're certainly not trying to infect anyone else (not that we were trying to infect anyone in the first place). Please let me us know if you continue or do not continue to have this problem from this point forward. Thanks again for your patience.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    All,

I have re-enabled ads after making one major change: I have disabled all Google AdSense ads from Google certified networks. We're trying to pinpoint what in the ads has caused this problem, so your feedback would be extremely valuable...we're certainly not trying to infect anyone else (not that we were trying to infect anyone in the first place). Please let me us know if you continue or do not continue to have this problem from this point forward. Thanks again for your patience.
    Sorry Boss,

As soon as I got into Redszone AVG gave me a nessage that it blocked a threat. There was also a message on my screen from an unfamilar looking virus protection saying the sight was known for Phishing. I closed that window w/o clicking on anything and it seems to be ok. If it helps, the ad on my Screen was for Swanson Health Products.

Still a problem I'd guess.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Thanks...that's helpful. I'm going to make another change to reenable what I disabled and disable something else and I'll let you know once it's complete.

I've changed it to display only text-based ads instead of images and text-based ads. I suspect this will resolve the problem, but again, please let me know either way. Thanks...

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

My home computer does the same thing as mth's. AVG pops up and says it just blocked a threat.

My office computer has AVG, but maybe it's not updated. I have another protection package that scans the harddrive and it continues to find all kinds of malware and other stuff. It found 48 items this morning. Linking what is happening on my home computer to my office computer, and considering how often I'm on Redszone, I'm thinking these threats are coming from Redszone.

Since I'm the network admin, just noticed our Websense filtering software marking hits against www.redszone.com as the following this morning:

Category

Security Malicious Web Sites

Action

Category blocked

URL Hostname

www.redszone.com

Thanks for confirming...we had gone to text-based ads only, but apparently that has not solved the issue, either. I've disabled them altogether until we can get a handle on this (which I thought we had). Thanks again and our apologies for the inconvenience.

Just an FYI, but our Websense software is flagging this site as "malicious" again.

Category

Security Malicious Web Sites

Action

Category blocked

URL Hostname

www.redszone.com

Thank you for letting us know. We've had ads completely disabled for about a month, so if there's anything to it, that at least tells us that's not where the problem resides. We'll do everything we can to pinpoint the problem, but our efforts so far have been unsuccessful. We've opened tickets with our host and I've personally run virus scans on the entire site and this continues to happen. It's very frustrating...if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

FWIW, Google identifies the site as clean. So do Norton, AVG and every other online scanning utility I've found. Regardless, I'm in the process of doing another virus scan of the entire site, but I don't expect it to turn up anything.

I finished scanning the entire site and nothing was found.

All,

With the help of vBulletin, we may have finally tracked down the problem, so we have reenabled ads. Please let me know immediately if you encounter any unexpected problems, and if so, as many details as possible. Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    All,

With the help of vBulletin, we may have finally tracked down the problem, so we have reenabled ads. Please let me know immediately if you encounter any unexpected problems, and if so, as many details as possible. Thanks...
    Can you expound on what the problem was?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Can you expound on what the problem was?
    We've thought we had it figured out many times in the past, so I can't definitively say that it's resolved, but there was a file in a key place whose contents did not match what it should have. I've since replaced that file with a fresh version.

AVG just shut my browser down when it detected a threat. I was in the Cahill thread when it happened, but I had not clicked on any of the links. I'm guessing it was one of the ads, but I wasn't really paying attention to which one was on screen.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?