Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 5-16-11 Cubs @ Reds

Re: 5-16-11 Cubs @ Reds

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    the objective of the game is to win. You do that by playing the best possible players you have. Unless Janish is physically unable to play, having Edgar at SS is a HUGE downgrade and does not help your chances of winning. Unless Lewis or Heisey are unable to play there is no reason in HECK that Gomes should even be wearing a Reds uniform at this point. Gomes shouldn't be on the pines, he should be told nicely...SEE Ya..
    Renteria has hit Zambrano well in his career, .382. For those who are always saying Dusty doesn't play to enough matchups, it gets overlooked when he does.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    the objective of the game is to win. You do that by playing the best possible players you have. Unless Janish is physically unable to play, having Edgar at SS is a HUGE downgrade and does not help your chances of winning. Unless Lewis or Heisey are unable to play there is no reason in HECK that Gomes should even be wearing a Reds uniform at this point. Gomes shouldn't be on the pines, he should be told nicely...SEE Ya..
    No the objective is to be the best team over 162 games. You can't do that by wearing down your best players in April, May and June only to have them tire and slump in August and September. See Scott Rolen 2010.

If this were the Bengals I'd agree since you get only 16 chances to make your run. However, MLB is all about the long haul which means that you win games but you also take care of your players at the same time. We are in a position where we can spell guys here and there and Dusty is 100% dead on correct in giving guys days off here and there, especially those who are nursing injuries like Janish.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

2 times every month a player gets rest, that's dusty's policy. if you're coming off of an injury you get one more day than you or the doctors think you need. only player without these restrictions is probably Phillips and he's basically our captain.

Quote Originally Posted by mu4103 View Post
    I am beginning to agree that Dusty is a fool.

reds are 8-2 over the last ten games. C'mon people jeez

Is Francisco out of options? If not, I wouldn't mind him staying down for a while longer. He looked no better than Gomes during his time up. If he's a trade piece (which I see him as), mashing AAA pitchers looks better than being below the Mendoza line in the majors all summer.

The glass is 1/3 full....

Quote Originally Posted by Reds View Post
    According to the team website the game is on FSOhio.
    I'm seeing the "Pre-Game" only. but...my system's been goofy lately.

I'll take yer word fer it. Thanks.
    The Crimson Crusader....knows...!
    ...heh heh heh heh...

"Why does everybody stand up and sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"
    ...when they're already there?"

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

yay, Reds Live on SportSouth which has only happened the two other times they've shown the game. Viewers with FoxSportsSouth should check too

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Renteria has hit Zambrano well in his career, .382. For those who are always saying Dusty doesn't play to enough matchups, it gets overlooked when he does.
    yea but he can't field worth a darn, so with Rolen not playing real well in the field right now lets just make matters worse and play a slow stepping poor glove SS...yep that's smart...

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCrusader View Post
    I'm seeing the "Pre-Game" only. but...my system's been goofy lately.

I'll take yer word fer it. Thanks.
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/sched...x.jsp?c_id=cin

is my reference

Quote Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
    I know that some here have an ill-informed opinion of Renteria and Dusty. Fact is, though, that Dusty has done a great job getting people their due time and AB's. They are going to need all 25 to win the division and it does no one a lick of good to ride the pine for days and weeks at a time.

Renteria is in there tonight to spell Janish who is still coming back from that ankle. As for Gomes, he is going to continue to get chances and what better time to do that than when those around him can pick him up since the offense is going good at the moment.
    Why continue to give Gomes chances? At his best he is an average to below average hitting LFer. He is a bad fielding left-fielder. Stubbs and Gomes were young - it makes sense to give them chances. Gomes has a proven career and at best he has average numbers. There is not another team in baseball in which he would still be a starter. We are not talking about A-Rod here being in a slump. It is Jonny Gomes. Heck Berkman was benched quicker last year. Dusty's biggest weakness is that he thinks he knows how to mix and match players... Let's think about this. Dusty's big saying is that baseball managing is about managing people. Only a fool would realize that it is counter productive to reward failure and punish success.

Quote Originally Posted by Parliament View Post

reds are 8-2 over the last ten games. C'mon people jeez
    I agree, but it is difficult to get away with the mistakes he is making. Ultimately, I believe his management style can lead to successful seasons, but I think it doesn't lead to post-season success. Gomes obviously can't hit good pitching - and that is when it counts. (Gomes is only an example of this style)

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

homer should throw a splitter in the dirt

inside slider works too Fukudome is a tough out

Playing Edgar tonight is just more proof how Dusty uses "stats" to support his bad choices. Since 2005, Renteria is 3/16 against Zambrano, with three singles.
    Since 2004, Renteria is 5/26 against Zambrano. Renteria’s success against Zambrano CAME IN the year 2003.

i mean really come on..

throw strikes please
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

homer is going to get it straight, slider missing sometimes needs a groundball

Turn Off Ads?