• No

1 2.78%
  • Not Yet

3 8.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't Call it a Rivalry?

Rojo Johnson #99

Don't Call it a Rivalry?

Some of the Reds and Cardinals players tried to downplay the series between the two teams as a "rivalry." Here are some quotes from yesterday.

"Regardless of your opponent, if you can take a three-game sweep you’re always elated about it. It being the Cardinals and the rough patches we’ve had with them, it just proves to us that we can beat them.”
    - Drew Stubbs

“I’ve got nothing against the Cardinals. I’ve been in this game a long time, and I won’t disrespect anybody. Whatever happened last year, this is a new year. We’re trying to play baseball here, that’s all.”
    - Francisco Cordero

"Basically, when you have a bunch of grown boys playing a game, you can have some tantrums exchanged. I think there's nothing more to it than that."
    - Lance Berkman

So what do you think? Do we have a rivalry simmering between these two teams?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Don't Call it a Rivalry?

Really, events like those over the past year are what the greatest rivalries are built upon.

I think more often than not it's perceived as a rivalry by the fans, not the players. These two teams certainly have some bad blood between them, but in the end they're just ballplayers doing their jobs.

Also, if the player themselves are holding grudges, they aren't going to mention them to the press. Unless they're the Cards

It's absolutely a rivalry.

It's obvious the players don't like each other, the managers don't like each other, and the fans don't like each other.

not that hard to put the pieces together

I like Berkman's answer. In the heat of the battle, people say and do some dumb things.

I'm not sure what'd I'd call it, but I love how it's played out on the field the past year and a half. Friday night's game had the feel of a playoff game to it. The other two games weren't as close, but I love the roller coaster ride of emotions I'm on in tight games between these two teams. I could do without the off the field jabs at each other as well as the on the field shenanigans, but I assume those are what have helped increase the intensity of the games as well.

Rojo Johnson #99

Personally, I think these two teams are one more event from cementing the series into a full fledged rivalry. I say this for a few reasons:

1. The Cubs have been the Cardinals traditional rivals. Yes, there's always room for more hatred in sports, but I don't think these two clubs have been through enough yet to cement the Reds as a full fledged rival of the Cardinals. This is because the Cubs and Cardinals have a history of hating each other, due in part to their fan bases.

2. There haven't been that many "signature" rivalry moments between the two clubs. Yes, the brawl was definitely a signature moment, but there needs to be more over several years in order to put a stamp on the rivalry. A rivalry does not develop over 1.25 seasons time. There needs to be some history to it. Another brawl or something equivalent could push the series into the rivalry category.

3. The series has not had playoff implications until the past season. Rivals need something on the line (other than bragging rights) every time they play each other. Rivalries are the best when postseasons are at stake. If the Reds continue their winning ways, the stakes will grow higher each time these two clubs meet.

We're close, but not to rivalry status yet.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Sorry, but this is one of those questions that didn't even need to be asked. It absolutely is a huge rivalry.

We better enjoy this while we can, as free agency has a way of quickly ripping these things apart.

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    I think more often than not it's perceived as a rivalry by the fans, not the players. These two teams certainly have some bad blood between them, but in the end they're just ballplayers doing their jobs.
    That's the case with most rivalries. Rivalries are always built by the fans and their responses to players' actions.

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    We better enjoy this while we can, as free agency has a way of quickly ripping these things apart.
    A true, heated rivalry will survive player changes over the years, its the team/fans that keep it going.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Rojo Johnson #99

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    A true, heated rivalry will survive player changes over the years, its the team/fans that keep it going.
    Exactly. Will the animosity between the Cardinals and Reds continue say after Brandon Phillips or Chris Carpenter leave their respective teams?
    The question boils down to whether the Reds have ticked off enough St. Louis fans to take notice of the Reds and whether the Reds fans will retain interest in their club in the future.

They brought home a title in 2006. Until we do the same, they will not fear us as a team.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwmann2 View Post
    They brought home a title in 2006. Until we do the same, they will not fear us as a team.
    I disagree. We have 2 players that were here in 2006. That stuff doesn't matter.

And their comments and whining are perfect examples of the Reds success getting under their skin.

Turn Off Ads?