32 88.89%
  • No

1 2.78%
  • Not Yet

3 8.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't Call it a Rivalry?

Re: Don't Call it a Rivalry?

Perhaps we could weigh in on Brandon Phillips thoughts about whether he thinks this is a rivalry...

2. Turn Off Ads?

It can't be called a rivalry yet. Check back in five years to see if both the Reds and Cardinals are competing for first place.

The Reds just weren't that good from 2000-2009. If they had a few winning seasons then, I guess it would be considered a rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by Defacto View Post
    It can't be called a rivalry yet. Check back in five years to see if both the Reds and Cardinals are competing for first place.

The Reds just weren't that good from 2000-2009. If they had a few winning seasons then, I guess it would be considered a rivalry.
    I dont think you can consider wins as a real measuring stick for a rivalry-one -sidedness can heat up a rivalry as the loser wants to turn it around even more. For example, NC State hasnt won jack in decades now, but they are still considered a rival with UNC. And the Cubs havent won in a century but still consider St Loius a rival as well.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

The same conversations were being had about the Astros from 2004 to 2007. Now nobody in St. Louis gives a second thought to Houston. Try to look at it from St. Louis' side. The Cardinals have been on top of the NL Central for the better part of 10 years. Each year another team comes knocking, Cubs, Brewers, Astros and as time has gone by, the constant has been the Cardinals on top. Now it's the Reds turn and a lot of our fans consider the Reds as just another johnny come lately, but honestly and in my opinion, your Reds are FAR different than any of those other teams and a far more legitimate threat to stick around for a long time. But let's be honest, had the brawl not happened last year, this conversation isn't happening. One fight does not a rivalry make. If the Reds and Cards are still battling for 1st place in the central 5, 10 years from now...then we'll talk rivalry. Not to put the Reds down, but they haven't been relevant long enough for anyone to consider them a true rivalry of the Cardinals. Right now, the Reds are a definite threat and it's two teams fighting tooth and nail for the NL central.

Quote Originally Posted by cw0802 View Post
    The same conversations were being had about the Astros from 2004 to 2007. Now nobody in St. Louis gives a second thought to Houston. Try to look at it from St. Louis' side. The Cardinals have been on top of the NL Central for the better part of 10 years. Each year another team comes knocking, Cubs, Brewers, Astros and as time has gone by, the constant has been the Cardinals on top. Now it's the Reds turn and a lot of our fans consider the Reds as just another johnny come lately, but honestly and in my opinion, your Reds are FAR different than any of those other teams and a far more legitimate threat to stick around for a long time. But let's be honest, had the brawl not happened last year, this conversation isn't happening. One fight does not a rivalry make. If the Reds and Cards are still battling for 1st place in the central 5, 10 years from now...then we'll talk rivalry. Not to put the Reds down, but they haven't been relevant long enough for anyone to consider them a true rivalry of the Cardinals. Right now, the Reds are a definite threat and it's two teams fighting tooth and nail for the NL central.
    Whatever this is(I'm not going to call it a rivalry), it would still have some attitude considering LaRussa's relationship with Baker(though Baker showed some class and left LaRussa a voice mail when he had shingles).

For my money, the Reds and Cards are the TOP rivalry in all of baseball. No history as such, but I'm talking about NOW. Go look at the Cub and Cardinal fan forums: not a single thread on the other team.

Look at Reds/Cards forums....plenty of threads, reflecting the general fan base. That's the fans....what about the teams themselves? That goes w/o saying. They don't like each other.

I loved Marty having the balls to speak his mind. I can't wait 'till the next series.

Of course it is. It's not Cards/Cubs or Yankees/Red Sox. It would take a long freaking time for it to get to that stage.

But our teams don't have to be rivals for over a hundred years for it to be a relevant and real rivalry.

How many times have our teams been on national TV together this season? Every year the Cards/Cubs games have what seems like half of the games as national TV games. The Cardinals and Reds games are going to be like that this season. In the St Louis series, weren't 2 of 3 on national TV? I don't mean to brag here but the Cardinals always get national TV games and it doesn't really seem like the Reds do. The fact that the Reds and Cardinals are getting national spots this season isn't a coincidence....

The same conversations were being had about the Astros from 2004 to 2007. Now nobody in St. Louis gives a second thought to Houston. Try to look at it from St. Louis' side.
    This is absolutely true. Cardinals/Astros were a rivalry back then, just like the Reds and Cardinals are rivals right now. And in the beginning part of the last decade, the Cardinals and Cubs weren't friendly rivals like they are now because the Cubs were actually competeing with us for division titles. It's going to take an extended period of battling for it to be considered a rivalry in 10 or even 5 years time.

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    For my money, the Reds and Cards are the TOP rivalry in all of baseball. No history as such, but I'm talking about NOW. Go look at the Cub and Cardinal fan forums: not a single thread on the other team.

Look at Reds/Cards forums....plenty of threads, reflecting the general fan base. That's the fans....what about the teams themselves? That goes w/o saying. They don't like each other.

I loved Marty having the balls to speak his mind. I can't wait 'till the next series.
    Agreed, I think this the only non-friendly rivalry in baseball right now and that's what makes it the best at this point in time. Yankees/Red Sox and Cardinals/Cubs are friendly right now. They are fan-centric rivalries, not player-centric like the Reds and Cardinals are right now

Quote Originally Posted by Defacto View Post
    Whatever this is(I'm not going to call it a rivalry), it would still have some attitude considering LaRussa's relationship with Baker(though Baker showed some class and left LaRussa a voice mail when he had shingles).
    Agreed. Dusty is a good guy, and he and LaRussa are the best of friends. But, both are head strong, competitive guys who clash from time to time.

Turn Off Ads?