Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dusty Baker

Dusty Baker

look i realize he gets a lot of grief for in game decisions and his lineups but watching the Cubs tonite made me think his value as manager is a lot unseen.

He may not be greatest game manger but he has his team ready to play, they play smart, their prepared and they play with confidence at all times despite the worst of situations.

Watching the cubs just showed how unprepared, dumb, and with little heart they play with.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty Baker

I'd like to see Dusty around for awhile. Players definitely enjoy playing for him.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I am 50/50 on Dusty.

I think he is a good team chemistry manager.

But I think he is a horrible strategical manager.

I met Dusty Baker at the Reds winter caravan in Athens when I was writing a freelance piece for the paper. Asked him some questions, and he was outstanding in not only what he had to say, but in his whole personalty.

I can see why players want to run through a brick wall for him.

Recovering Cubs Fan

The Cubs played like crap when Dusty was there too. I credit solid defenders like Rolen, Janish, Phillips, Bruce, etc for their solid defense more than the manager.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I am 50/50 on Dusty.

I think you are 100% correct...

I am 50/50 on Dusty.

I agree.

I used to think his strategical mistakes outweighed his chemistry benefits, but I'm not sure at this point.

I am 50/50 on Dusty.

I'm sold on Dusty. The players clearly like to play for the guy and he's given this team a "never-give-up" mentality and an attitude of confidence.

I don't think he's the worst in-game manager in the league, nor is he the best. He's not going to the hall of fame any time soon, but he's definately been a big part of the resurgence of this team.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    I met Dusty Baker at the Reds winter caravan in Athens when I was writing a freelance piece for the paper. Asked him some questions, and he was outstanding in not only what he had to say, but in his whole personalty.

I can see why players want to run through a brick wall for him.
    I've actually never heard players say they liked playing for him. I have heard many people (especially pitchers) say otherwise. I woould say Dusty seems to pacify his veterans by playing them even when they don't deserve it.

If people like playing for Dusty so much, where are the players from Chicago and S.F. who used to play for him? They don't seem to be following him (Lewis excluded - but I doubt he could get a much better offer). Maybe I am missing some names.

Turn Off Ads?