Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it plausible for us to trade Hernandez this season?

Re: Is it plausible for us to trade Hernandez this season?

He's two days away from being a 35 year old catcher. I doubt he nets anything that improves the major league club.

I'm sure Mesoraco would be a centerpiece in any TOR trade talks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    To me a trade can't be ruled out, if Ramon say could be packaged with other reds players to upgrade say our LF situation or even our SS or 3rd situation you have to at least consider it. Saying you won't trade him is just plain poor baseball mang't.
    I don't think it really makes sense to trade him unless you get an offer you don't want to turn down, obviously then you make the deal. However, just generally speaking I wouldn't be looking to trade him. While I like the tandem, I think the platoon makes them both more effective as opposed to playing full time, I also think Ramon is probably the better one of the two offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    He's two days away from being a 35 year old catcher. I doubt he nets anything that improves the major league club.

I'm sure Mesoraco would be a centerpiece in any TOR trade talks.
    Ding ding ding.

You want a TOR starter? Mesoraco or Grandal will be in the deal, not Ramon.

Ramon's not getting dealt

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Ding ding ding.

You want a TOR starter? Mesoraco or Grandal will be in the deal, not Ramon.

Ramon's not getting dealt
    The Reds need is not a TOR starter, it's a quality bat in either LF or such and a package including a good ML catcher could be done.

If you can upgrade the team for this year I wouldn't be opposed to trading him, but I agree with powersackers that Ramon isnt' the type of guy you're likely to get an esatablished player for him.

Whoever is in the market for a guy like Hernandez would also be in the race and looking to give up prospects and not effect thier current major league roster.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    The Reds need is not a TOR starter, it's a quality bat in either LF or such and a package including a good ML catcher could be done.
    Umm, pretty sure the Reds lead the NL in runs this year and were near the top last year with the "trash" out in LF.

Whereas in the playoffs you saw what happened when you face TOR starting pitching.

The team's LAST worry is ANYTHING to do with offense.

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Umm, pretty sure the Reds lead the NL in runs this year and were near the top last year with the "trash" out in LF.

Whereas in the playoffs you saw what happened when you face TOR starting pitching.

The team's LAST worry is ANYTHING to do with offense.
    Lets review last years playoffs. Game 1 outside of horrible EV we shut down the Phils, game two our BP imploded and in game 3 final score was like 2-0 right? Our pitching wasn't the reason we lost in the playoffs, it was the lack of offense and our deer in the headlights attitude for the games. BTW how did that powerful Offense do in game 1 of the playoffs last season?

Hernandez is a good catcher...you could get something useful for him...but do you want to? He seems to be hitting the ball hard recently.

Once again...no one is giong to give up any sort of top prospect for a 35 year old catcher who will be a FA at the end of the year

With him performing the way he is right now, I'd like to say no. But, on the other hand, if we can get an elite starter near the deadline. I'd almost be tempted to say yes. You bring up an interesting point. All together, I say no, but definitely interesting.

As others have stated I would not trade him this year. Give Mes a September call up to show what he can do and give him every chance next spring. Ramon has just been so solid in his time here and the team is playing well with him. Dont fix something that aint broke.

Also someone mentioned the only way they trade him is for an Ace pitcher. Nobody who is going to be trading such a pitcher will want a catcher the age of Ramon coming back no matter how well he is playing. It may work however in a three team deal where a team like Boston gets Ramon and sends prospects to the third team so we can get the pitcher.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I hate to mess with the team chemistry. All these players like eachother alot and have eachother's backs. A trade of a key starter might have a negative impact and affect their psyche.

I'm as curious about seeing what Mesoraco can do in the majors too. But I think it needs to come during an injury to either Hanigan or Hernandez. Not at the expense of trading.

Mesoraco's time can come next year, if deserving.

I'm a huge Hernandez fan, and I want him on the team for the stretch run. Him and Hanigan provide us with such a tremendous advantage at the catching position. It's certainly something you want to hold on to. Not for the longterm, but for right now, I feel like Hernandez gives us a good chance to win ballgames.

I remember them saying a few years ago he had a bad attitude in Baltimore. He has been nothing short of a consummate professional here.

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    I remember them saying a few years ago he had a bad attitude in Baltimore. He has been nothing short of a consummate professional here.
    Experience and a good clubhouse atmosphere (we don't give Dusty enough credit for that) will do that. Sure, there are some guys who don't grow out of it, but we've seen it happen with Phillips, Arroyo, and Hernandez, who are all now true team leaders and professionals. And if I'm not mistaken, aren't they the currently the three longest-tenured Reds?

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Experience and a good clubhouse atmosphere (we don't give Dusty enough credit for that) will do that. Sure, there are some guys who don't grow out of it, but we've seen it happen with Phillips, Arroyo, and Hernandez, who are all now true team leaders and professionals. And if I'm not mistaken, aren't they the currently the three longest-tenured Reds?
    There are a handful of players that have been with the Reds longer than Hernandez. He came over in the 08-09 offseason.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Turn Off Ads?