Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Corcino starting to look a lot like Cueto

Corcino starting to look a lot like Cueto

Article from the DDN on Dayton starter Daniel Corcino.

“Been working on my change-up and my slider,” Corcino said. “Today, my change-up was nasty, and my fastball was gasolina.”

Indeed, Corcino’s last pitch registered 95 miles per hour on the scoreboard.

“On any given night he can throw three pitches for strikes,” said Tucker Barnhart, who caught both ends of the doubleheader. “He was pretty filthy tonight, though. His change-up was his best pitch.”
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...o-1163666.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Corcino starting to look a lot like Cueto

I would like to see him fast tracked up the minors like Cueto was

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I would like to see him fast tracked up the minors like Cueto was
    He's 20. No need to fast-track him. BUT...when a pitcher is ready, he's ready. Promoting him soon would not be a bad thing at all.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I have Corcino pitch a few times this year already and I don't expect he will be with Dayton much longer. I was there Wednesday night and he was just dominant. He struck out 11 batters in 6 innings and allowed only one hit.

Just asking, because I don't know, but given that Bakersfield is such a less than ideal place to pitch, perhaps they leave him in Dayton for the year since he is so young, let him dominate, and then go high A promoted to AA next year at age 21 if he warrants the in-season move.

No need to rush him, I guess, is my thought. Particuarly given what it is to have to pitch in Bakersfield.

Kevin Goldstein on Daniel Corcino:

•Daniel Corcino, RHP, Reds (Low-A Dayton): 7 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 8 K. 20-year-old Dominican gave up 11 runs over 13.2 innings in his first three starts but has 1.48 ERA since; plus fastball, plus breaking ball and plus command is a wonderful combination.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/minorleagueupdate/

This kid's nasty. Would not be surprised to see him fast tracked in the near future ala Cueto either. His stuff and command were just overmatching every hitter in every at bat when I saw him and that apparently was not a fluke.
    Last edited by Superdude; 06-28-2011 at 07:04 PM.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I love it. I follow this stuff pretty closely (our top prospects in the minors) and I hadn't even heard of this guy until this thread. Pretty embarrassed about it honestly. But thrilled to add him to my list of guys to follow.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I love it. I follow this stuff pretty closely (our top prospects in the minors) and I hadn't even heard of this guy until this thread. Pretty embarrassed about it honestly. But thrilled to add him to my list of guys to follow.
    Brutal. Let's go!

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Just asking, because I don't know, but given that Bakersfield is such a less than ideal place to pitch, perhaps they leave him in Dayton for the year since he is so young, let him dominate, and then go high A promoted to AA next year at age 21 if he warrants the in-season move.

No need to rush him, I guess, is my thought. Particuarly given what it is to have to pitch in Bakersfield.
    I would love that, I live in Dayton and have been trying to catch as many of his starts as possible.

I hope he starts the July 9th game (the one slated to break the sellout record) but not sure yet.

Corcino is now likely the #4 prospect in the organization after Mez and the Miami guys. He and Stephenson should be the Cueto and Bailey of the future as they rise through the organization.
    Go BLUE!!!

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Corcino is now likely the #4 prospect in the organization after Mez and the Miami guys. He and Stephenson should be the Cueto and Bailey of the future as they rise through the organization.
    I know Josh Smith is old for the Midwest League, but he is also a very interesting prosepct for me to follow.

Gotta love a sub-1 WHIP after 14 start and a 6.33 K:BB ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I know Josh Smith is old for the Midwest League, but he is also a very interesting prosepct for me to follow.

Gotta love a sub-1 WHIP after 14 start and a 6.33 K:BB ratio.

Agreed, but he really needs to get promoted and tested given his age. Hopefully that happens soon.
    Go BLUE!!!

Not to hijack this away from Corcino, but did you guys see the notes at the bottom? Talks about teammates saying Juan Duran has homered over the Dragons scoreboard in BP before. Now that's a bomb!

Turn Off Ads?