Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP The MACHO MAN: Randy Savage

Re: 2-Time WWF World Champ Dies

He was actually a former Reds' minor leaguer too..

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=poffo-001ran
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RIP The MACHO MAN: Randy Savage

One of the best of all time. Being only 21 I missed his heyday but as some of my past posts may have indicted I'm a huge wrestling fan with a massive tape/DVD collection and consider myself rather knowledgable of the 'sport' as a whole. Savage was one of the most well-rounded wrestlers ever to step in the ring. He could talk better than almost anybody, he could wrestle better than almost anybody, and he had a great look. Definitely gonna spend today watching some of his best matches. RIP Macho Man.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Randy Savage was the reason I watched wrestling in the 80's. His mic skills were tremendous- maybe only matched by Ric Flair. I can still recall verbatim many of his rants 25 years later. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

I'm just at the right age that I was able to catch him in his peak (or just afterwards...and what I missed was readily available on VHS since it was just a few years prior). As was mentioned earlier, his WM III match against Steamboat was a classic. He was someone I always enjoyed watching and it's a sad day for his family, friends and (to a lesser extent) wrestling fans.

Sucks. Great entertainer. Very good in Spider-Man as well.

What about the lovely Elizabeth? Any news?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    What about the lovely Elizabeth? Any news?
    Shes also dead http://deadspin.com/5480157/dead-wre...miss-elizabeth

Randall Mario Puffo was a two-time All-State catcher at Downers Grove North High School in Illinois. In 1971, he took place in a 200-man open tryout for the St. Louis Cardinals, and he was the only man given a contract.

In 35 games for the Cardinals' Gulf Coast League team, Poffo hit .286 with a pair of home runs, and did not make a single error in 15 games as a catcher.

In 1972, Poffo would go on to hit .272 and make the GCL All-Star team as an outfielder. His 1973 campaign was even more impressive, as he would hit .344 in 25 games for the GCL Red Birds. He got bumped up to Class-A, where he played for the Orangeburg Cardinals under Jimmy Piersall.

Poffo would hit just .250 at Class-A, but he would go on to credit Piersall for "him how to be aggressive and how to fight."

At some point before the 1974 season, he suffered a severe injury to his right arm and shoulder and was subsequently released by the Cardinals.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Guy made wrestling interesting. He is a true legend and will surely be missed. RIP.

I'll have a Slim Jim in his memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    He was also a former Reds farmhand. He and Ricky Steamboat wrestled one of the best matches I've ever seen at Wrestlemania III.
    I'm not a wrestling fan, but back in the late 70's, while stationed in Charleston, S.C., I got "hooked" on it for about a year or so with a few buddies. We went to quite a few matches there. I remember seeing guys like Chief Jay Strongbow, Blackjack Mulligan, Greg Valentine (another baby face), and Dusty Rhodes.

But the best match I saw was between Steamboat and Rick "nature boy" Flair. They were perfect foils for one another. Steamboat (pretty boy) was always the crowd favorite, while Flair, with his emotion and theatrics, was the "bad guy".

What always amazed us was all the old ladies (dressed up real nice too) in attendance at these fights. At one point in the Steamboat-Flair bout, Flair got thrown out of the ring and we watched an old lady (was it staged?) pick up a folding chair and smack him over the head while he was down. LOL

I liked tag team matches, as well as cage matches. The one I saw with BJ Mulligan was pretty bloody. But it seemed like you could always predict when the fight was going to turn, like each got a turn beating the other up so it wasn't too one-sided, and who the winner was going to be. Still a lot of fun though.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    But the best match I saw was between Steamboat and Rick "nature boy" Flair. They were perfect foils for one another. Steamboat (pretty boy) was always the crowd favorite, while Flair, with his emotion and theatrics, was the "bad guy".
    You're not alone. A lot of wrestling analysts and fans believe their 3 matches for the NWA title were about the best ever. Since I never saw those matches I can't judge them. According to Flair, while the Savage-Steamboat match was great, Savage wanted to go over their match move by move over and over again rather than calling the moves in the ring.

The best match I saw was actually in person here in Cincinnati. There was a tribute/fund raiser for the late Brian Pillman's family back in 2000 or 2001 and in the main event, Steven Regal and the late Chris Benoit wrestled and they just put on a fantastic match.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The best match I saw was actually in person here in Cincinnati. There was a tribute/fund raiser for the late Brian Pillman's family back in 2000 or 2001 and in the main event, Steven Regal and the late Chris Benoit wrestled and they just put on a fantastic match.
    I was at that, too...great event.

Ill never forget being like 10 years old and seeing the Macho Man tied up in the ropes, being bitten by Jake Roberts snake. As a 10 year old it really freaked me out. So much so that I still remember it to this day.
    During my 18 years I came to bat almost 10,000 times. I struck out about 1,700 times and walked maybe 1,800 times. You figure a ballplayer will average about 500 at bats a season. That means I played seven years without ever hitting the ball. ~Mickey Mantle, 1970

1. Here's a 1974 match at Commisky Park between Dick The Bruiser and
    Bo-Bo Brazil against the Sheik and Bobby The Brain Heenan. Legend has it that the kid taking pictures at the 5:00 mark is a young Macho Man.

YouTube - ‪dick the bruiser-bobo brazil vs. sheik-bobby heenan‬‏

2. Vince pretty much forgave all of his enemies- even Superstar Billy Graham who perjured himself by testifying that Vince gave him steroids. But Vince never forgave the Macho Man who is absurdly not in the WWE Hall of Fame. What could he have done? Legend has it that he seduced an underage Stephanie McMahon. Will see how his death is handled on Raw tonight.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 05-23-2011 at 08:18 PM.

Turn Off Ads?