Votto 3
    Phillips 4
    Bruce 9
    Rolen 5
    Heisey 7
    Hanigan 2
    Janish 6

Wood 1

Gomes batting second eh? Thinking him batting up there will get him some balls to hit in front of Votto. Don't see it working out but I will be happy to eat some crow if he does well.

His lifetime numbers in 256 games as a DH are .222/.327/.417 with 37 home runs and 119 RBIs.
    Last edited by Redlegs_87; 05-20-2011 at 03:20 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 5-20-11 Reds @ Indians

I don't love it either, but it makes as much sense as Janish/Renteria who usually hit there.

I just threw up in my mouth, OMG, not only is the out machine playing he is hitting 2nd? Really? If he must play how about hitting him...oh I don't know......8th?

Redlegs_87

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I just threw up in my mouth, OMG, not only is the out machine playing he is hitting 2nd? Really? If he must play how about hitting him...oh I don't know......8th?

Well both Renteria and Janish were basically out machines in the 2 hole. One more out machine won't hurt I guess in the eyes of Dusty.

Never know how things will work out baseball is a funny game. This could be what Gomes needs. Dusty putting alot of faith in him tonight.

Didn't Dusty get Bruce out of a slump (as much as Bruce ever comes out of a slump) by batting him in the 2-hole?

I like this. I think Jonny will turn it around this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by KYRedLeg View Post
    Didn't Dusty get Bruce out of a slump (as much as Bruce ever comes out of a slump) by batting him in the 2-hole?

I would agree with you, but the Reds are facing a righty. Gomes has no chance, probably better off taking an automatic out so he doesn't hit into a double play.

Turn it around? you have to be good to be able to "turn it around" Gomes is an average player on his best day, there is nothing to "turn around".

Gomes playing short tonight. Sweet. I mean doesn't the two-hole player HAVE to play short?

If Gomes has to play I suppose trying him in front of Votto can't hurt. Nothing else has helped.

Dusty didn't get Bruce out of a slump. Dusty Baker talks more crap than anyone I know. Forty plus years in the game and it just came to him in a dream that he should bat Bruce in front of Votto to get him better pitches to swing at? Dusty isn't paying very close attention to the game if that is the case. Jay Bruce came out of his slump because Jay Bruce can hit a baseball. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    I don't love it either, but it makes as much sense as Janish/Renteria who usually hit there.
    Which means it makes no sense. Par for the course for the Dusty One.

I am also at the point of blaming this whole Gomes thing on Walt. Walt I would think is smart enough of a baseball person to see that Gomes brings very little to this team at this point and should just DFA him. Then call up someone like Frazier or Chris V who can actually help this team.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

I would consider moving the catcher be it ryan or ramon into the 2 hole. How many times has this occurred over the past two seasons? I don't remember many.

NL Central champs

The Indians field a lineup of:

Brantley, CF
    O. Cabrera, SS
    Choo, RF
    Santana, C
    Duncan, DH
    A. Cabrera, 2B
    Laporta, 1B
    Kearns, LF
    Hannahan, 3B

i dont mind this. if gomes walks like he has been doing this year itll be good for him plus get him some pretty good pitches to hit.

Turn Off Ads?