Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Saturday 5/21/2011 minor league update

Re: Saturday 5/21/2011 minor league update

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    I know everyone who sees the Bats says Alonso has been much better this year...
    Better how? He'd still a poor outfielder. His range is very limited. He allows balls to get past him that shouldn't get past an outfielder at this level. The Bats have 3 guys with hot bats that can play LF better than Alonso. Frazier, Dorn and Francisco.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Better how? He'd still a poor outfielder. His range is very limited. He allows balls to get past him that shouldn't get past an outfielder at this level. The Bats have 3 guys with hot bats that can play LF better than Alonso. Frazier, Dorn and Francisco.
    But do any of those three project to be better MLB hitters? Not in my opinion they don't and I don't think it is particularly close to be honest. Alonso is a poor fielder, but he isn't going to be any worse than Gomes is and of the left field options that are available (not Sappelt), he easily projects to be the best MLB hitter of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Alonso is a poor fielder, but he isn't going to be any worse than Gomes
    I disagree. Alonso is worse than Gomes and his lack of speed detracts from his whole game with the exception of HR hitting.

He may be the best overall hitter but I don't think he is the highest value player.

I disagree. Alonso is worse than Gomes and his lack of speed detracts from his whole game with the exception of HR hitting.

He may be the best overall hitter but I don't think he is the highest value player.
    I don't really think he is worse than Gomes, Gomes just looks like he is trying harder because he doesn't look like he runs as poorly as Alonso does. Alonso looks like he runs worse than he does. Yes, the guy is a slow runner, but he also looks to be slower than he is IMO.

The baseball cube has Yonder at a 35 speed tool. Gomes is at 58. Both seem about right to me.

Adam Dunn's speed is 38.
    Last edited by GOYA; 05-22-2011 at 04:04 PM.

Resident PED Expert

Alonso's poor foot speed will detract from his value. But, having Gomes hit .172 and in the #2 spot is drastically hurting the Reds offense. Look at the last 5 games. If Alonso can keep up a .280ish BA with a .340 OBP that itself will help the team. Right now, Renteria is providing no offense and no defense off the bench. Gomes isn't hitting or fielding, Rolen is displaying no power and Janish has yet to find any success at the plate.

There has to be moves made and soon. Frazier as a super sub in place of Renteria, Alonso in LF and demote Lewis (Gomes won't be released) and spell Rolen a bit more frequently should help the team tremendously.

After today I also thing it's time to give Horst a chance in the bullpen over Smith. Just been way to hittable this year.

The baseball cube has Yonder at a 35 speed tool. Gomes is at 58. Both seem about right to me.

Adam Dunn's speed is 38.
    The Baseball Cube uses numbers for a speed tool also and not in the "he runs a X.xx" from first to home. FTR, a 58 is an above average to plus speed rating. Gomes most certainly isn't that.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The Baseball Cube uses numbers for a speed tool also and not in the "he runs a X.xx" from first to home. FTR, a 58 is an above average to plus speed rating. Gomes most certainly isn't that.
    He does have multiple steals on the year. I'd argue that he's probably far above Alonso in terms of speed. I'd love to see Alonso become more athletic, but to me, this whole LF experiment reeks of trying to make him something he's not. Maybe he can be our premier pinch hitter, and play LF on occasion and in emergencies, but he's not our answer as a regular starter. Why expand a hole in the league's best defense? There are plenty of AAA players like Francisco, Sappelt, and Frazier who can fill that role if one of them claims it, and plenty of proven upgrades are on the trading block as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Rule 76, no excuses, play like a champion.
    That would be rule #71, just FYI.

Rule #29: Always be a team player. Everyone needs a little help now and again.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    The VSL Reds won today 14-4. Seventeen-year-old SS Geraldo (not Humberto) Valor, who yesterday had three hits and some extra bases, today went 2 for 4 with a 2B.

In the FWIW category, a lefty reliever for the Reds named Joher Cardera, who pitched a perfect eighth inning, is 16.
    He's the youngest player in the VSL. The Reds signed him just this month.

The Reds asked him to keep it quiet, and he did. Discretion is one of the better parts of Valor.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    The Reds asked him to keep it quiet, and he did. Discretion is one of the better parts of Valor.
    Can't let that go unapplauded.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    That would be rule #71, just FYI.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.
    It's 76, not 71 bruh.

Turn Off Ads?