Janish SS
    Rolen 3B
    Heisey LF
    Stubbs CF
    Bruce RF
    Hernandez C
    Lewis DH
    Volquez P
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Heisey in LF today, Lewis DH

Currently this is the best all-around lineup that the 25 man roster can produce (even if Renteria might have an edge on Janish offensively).

Lewis and Heisey now have an opportunity to prove to Dusty that he ought to be platooning them in LF in Philadelphia -- and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Far East View Post
    Currently this is the best all-around lineup that the 25 man roster can produce (even if Renteria might have an edge on Janish offensively).

Lewis and Heisey now have an opportunity to prove to Dusty that he ought to be platooning them in LF in Philadelphia -- and beyond.
    Amen. Let's hope Dusty can be swayed. So far, he just can't resist starting Gomes for some reason.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

We shouldn't have to celebrate the times when our manager actually puts a good lineup out there and doesn't automatically give the other team an advantage. That said, cue Kool and the Gang!

Haunted by walks

In Bizarro World, this is a Sunday Special lineup.

Dusty said before Friday nights game he would give Gomes Friday and Saturday at DH and if it didn't get him going we would see something else on Sunday. Nothing here we didn't already know.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Dusty said before Friday nights game he would give Gomes Friday and Saturday at DH and if it didn't get him going we would see something else on Sunday. Nothing here we didn't already know.
    True, but you just never know with Dusty. He might have been thinking "Oh, Gomes didn't miss that ball that was 5-feet off the plate by too much ... I think I better give him one more game to snap out of his funk. Because he's obviously a great player. Ignore his career statistics for a moment and work with me here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    True, but you just never know with Dusty. He might have been thinking "Oh, Gomes didn't miss that ball that was 5-feet off the plate by too much ... I think I better give him one more game to snap out of his funk. Because he's obviously a great player. Ignore his career statistics for a moment and work with me here."
    I think Dusty knows the end is near for Gomes and it kills him because he really likes the man and has a hard time separating the man from the player. I think Gomes is lucky to be in the middle of a long road trip. If he hasn't figured anything out by this time next Sunday I think he'll be gone and Yonder Alonso will be the new LF.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    I think Dusty knows the end is near for Gomes and it kills him because he really likes the man and has a hard time separating the man from the player. I think Gomes is lucky to be in the middle of a long road trip. If he hasn't figured anything out by this time next Sunday I think he'll be gone and Yonder Alonso will be the new LF.
    I don't think they'll release Gomes (put him on waivers). It would hurt team chemistry too much. I just think Jocketty and Baker will meet and "mutually agree" (Jocketty will insist) that Gomes can no longer be a starter. Not even in a platoon fashion. He can be a pinch-hitter and maybe get a few spot starts here once in a blue moon (kind of Heisey's role last year and so far this).

Or maybe they'll "invent" an injury for Gomes -- similar to what they did with Chapman -- to buy 15 days of Yonder to see how it goes. Would also be interesting to see if Gomes would accept a minor league assignment to straighten himself out. Even Momma Gomes can see that Jonny is hurting the team right now. If he wants to play, maybe he needs to be in Louisville. Or he can be the last man off the Reds' bench, or go on the DL with a case of "Canthititus."

I doubt that he would be removed from the short side of the platoon.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I doubt that he would be removed from the short side of the platoon.
    He shouldn't be. He's hitting .286/.423/.619/1.042 against lefties this year and .277/.373/.511/.883 for his career.

But he shouldn't ever start against a right hander unless someone is injured.

I like Gomes and agree on the team
    Chemistry thing. But in order to win you have to sacrifice once in a while. Besides the Reds have more invested in Yonder so it is time to bring him up.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

The Reds team chemistry would be fine without Gomes.

I don't like the thought of releasing him because he has a useful skill, but it's getting to the point where you have to protect Dusty from himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Any lineup that has Janish batting third is simply not acceptable IMHO.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Any lineup that has Janish batting third is simply not acceptable IMHO.
    Umm.... he's not?

Turn Off Ads?