Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 5/22/11 - Reds vs Indians

Re: 5/22/11 - Reds vs Indians

By my figuring, three of the four runs were earned. Is that right?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reds hitting it hard.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Back to back walks to a couple of terrible hitters. Maddening.
    36 pitches in the first inning. He may not make it three today. And yet it continues...
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Not to make any excuses for Ramon's throws, but don't you think the guys behind Volquez press just a little on defense, knowing that he needs all the help he can get to erase baserunners, etc.? Add in the fact that it really sucks trying to stay on your toes on defense while the guy pitching doesn't have a clue how to throw strikes.
    I think there is something to this. Good defenders make errors. Ramon isn't as good as Hanigan on defense, but he isn't Javy back there either. It happens.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Those 3 walks last inning give Volquez 37 walks on the season.
    Wood is the next highest with 17 followed by Arroyo with 14

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    By my figuring, three of the four runs were earned. Is that right?
    ESPN says all 4 were earned. EV's ERA now at 6.02.

Even Eric Milton wasn't that bad...
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Walt, this is what you get when you rest on your laurels. Classic small market mentality. We won a division last year so things will just naturally get better.

No top starter, no LF, no SS. Same guys at AAA with no significant additions from the farm.

Status quo, while other teams were trying to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    ESPN says all 4 were earned. EV's ERA now at 6.02.

Even Eric Milton wasn't that bad...
    OK, that sounds right. I missed a batter somewhere.

Like I said, as predictable as the sun rising in the east.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Great goodness. Why don't they just give the whole freaking series to the flipping Indians and shut down for the season. I've given up on this club doing anything this year. Where last year was perfect chemistry, this year is chemistry gone bad.
    You've really already given up on the season? I don't believe that. You can't get so high and low my friend. Let's not forget at the end of last August, the eventual world champion Giants were barely part of the NL West discussion before storming back and winning the division. Same thing with the Twins a few Septembers ago. It's a long season. This team can, and will, improve upon its current play. They're just entering a hellish stretch of the schedule that is going to expose all of their flaws. Flaws that were blatantly obvious, and have so far not been addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Walt, this is what you get when you rest on your laurels. Classic small market mentality. We won a division last year so things will just naturally get better.

No top starter, no LF, no SS. Same guys at AAA with no significant additions from the farm.

Were you saying that a week ago today with the Reds 1.5 games in first? Post the link please. The Reds are really struggling. Volquez is pitching bad. This is baseball, things could flip 180 degrees in a week.

Exactly and coupled with depending on a starter just off TJ surgery who struggled last year and a kid from Cuba who hadn't proven anything. Gomes, as predicted, has been a liability, Janish morphed back to his norm at the plate, Renteria hasn't been good, and managerial decisions have been below par. No moves to improve might mean a long 2011.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Volquez should be removed from the rotation.

Reds must think they are the 1927 Yankees. They seem very reluctant to change things that aren't working.
    I'm not sure Dusty is capable and/or willing to start putting positions on the roster up for grabs and threatening zero tolerance with poor performance. It seems that is what they need possibly.

I'd start with LF, SS and EV's spot. Bring up anybody they can who wants to win a job.

Maybe I'm just being naive.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    You've really already given up on the season? I don't believe that. You can't get so high and low my friend. Let's not forget at the end of last August, the eventual world champion Giants were barely part of the NL West discussion before storming back and winning the division. Same thing with the Twins a few Septembers ago. It's a long season. This team can, and will, improve upon its current play. They're just entering a hellish stretch of the schedule that is going to expose all of their flaws. Flaws that were blatantly obvious, and have so far not been addressed.
    Of course not. Emotional statement based on the frustration of watching Dusty and Price march EV out every fifth day when everyone but them knows what is going to happen. Just frustrated, that's all.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Were you saying that a week ago today with the Reds 1.5 games in first? Post the link please. The Reds are really struggling. Volquez is pitching bad. This is baseball, things could flip 180 degrees in a week.
    Not to speak for KC, but he and a lot of others have been saying it since December. Calling him out for those criticisms is wrong IMO.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

This is exactly right.

This season felt like a punt on first down the day they resigned Johnny Gomes instead of legitimately trying to upgrade the virus in LF that continues to plague the offense.

Turn Off Ads?