Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: US Gold Cup Roster: Yes that does say Freddy Adu

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

US Gold Cup Roster: Yes that does say Freddy Adu

Looking forward to the tournament since the finals are at the Rose Bowl and I have tickets assuming the US doesn't lay an egg.

Adu and Rogers are the most surprising choices.

The roster:

Goalkeepers: Tim Howard (Everton, England), Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton, England), Nick Rimando (Salt Lake)

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Saint-Etienne, France), Jonathan Bornstein (Tigres, Mexico), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover, Germany), Clarence Goodson (Brondby, Denmark), Eric Lichaj (Leeds, England), Oguchi Onyewu (Twente, Netherlands), Tim Ream (New York), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United, England)

Midfielders: Freddy Adu (Rizespor, Turkey), Michael Bradley (Aston Villa, England), Clint Dempsey (Fulham, England), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles), Maurice Edu (Rangers, Scotland), Benny Feilhaber (New England), Jermaine Jones (Blackburn, England), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht, Belgium), Robbie Rogers (Columbus)

Forwards: Juan Agudelo (New York), Jozy Altidore (Bursaspor, Turkey), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose)

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1NDeTaCIB

Re: US Gold Cup Roster: Yes that does say Freddy Adu

Would have loved to see Chad Marshall on there over Bornstein. Bocanegra should be the starting LB in all honesty.

Rogers has been playing alright in Columbus, but his team is just not gelling right now.

Debating going up to Detroit for the game there

Yeah Bornstein just seems to be a default at this point. Marshall is a bit of an unknown. It's too bad that Chandler isn't playing since that would free up somebody besides Bornstein to move out to LB. I guess his club didn't want him to play and basically blocked Bradley.

I guess Bradley said Chandler is too fatigued

For a non-soccer fan, what's the story on Adu. Last I heard he was the next big thing and drafted when he was like 14.

Sorry I'm ignorant on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    For a non-soccer fan, what's the story on Adu. Last I heard he was the next big thing and drafted when he was like 14.

Sorry I'm ignorant on this one.
    He started in MLS and had some early success. He has had a lot of trouble catching on in Europe. He was initially brought over by a pretty big Spanish team but the coach was fired very soon after and he was out of favor with the new guy. He is currently on loan from his Greek team with a 2nd division team in Turkey and has played very well. I believe he has 4 goals and 5 assists this season albeit in a not very well thought of division. The hope is he has matured since the US doesn't have a great goal scorer on the roster and he is still only 21.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    He started in MLS and had some early success. He has had a lot of trouble catching on in Europe. He was initially brought over by a pretty big Spanish team but the coach was fired very soon after and he was out of favor with the new guy. He is currently on loan from his Greek team with a 2nd division team in Turkey and has played very well. I believe he has 4 goals and 5 assists this season albeit in a not very well thought of division. The hope is he has matured since the US doesn't have a great goal scorer on the roster and he is still only 21.
    Agreed, but most soccer prodigies seem to start showing that potential by now. I hope for the best for the kid, but I'm not counting on him. I just hope that he can be a lesson for US Soccer and their fans to not falsely raise the expectations on a kid who hasn't actually done anything yet.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

US wins 2-0. Dempsey scored a sweet goal on a Altidore cross and the US really dominated the second half.

Well...Saturday sucked....but Tuesday at 7:30 is the first gold cup match. Would have loved to make it up to Detroit if this were on a weekend but oh well

Yeah that game was brutal. I'm not sure how much you can read into it though other than Spain is really good.

They played their B-team, we played our B-team.

That game shouldn't have even been scheduled.

Abreyo replaces Feilhaber

US up 1-0 at half against Canada in their Gold Cup opener. Altidore scored and Donovan assisted. Game is on Fox Soccer Channel for those interested.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

I would have really liked to see Teal Bunbury on the team. I think he is ready for the next step.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    I would have really liked to see Teal Bunbury on the team. I think he is ready for the next step.
    I think he'll get there and would be surprised if he wasn't on the World Cup team, but he didn't look too hot last night against Chicago. Maybe he was trying to hard for the big home crowd or something.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I think he'll get there and would be surprised if he wasn't on the World Cup team, but he didn't look too hot last night against Chicago. Maybe he was trying to hard for the big home crowd or something.
    Either that or his mind is elsewhere. He's still young, has a hopefully prosperous career ahead of him.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Turn Off Ads?