Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: US Gold Cup Roster: Yes that does say Freddy Adu

Re: US Gold Cup Roster: Yes that does say Freddy Adu

Mexico might have another "golden generation" on their hands. Typical BB, sadly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ugh

Jonathan freaking Bornstein

Hey Robo Bob coached Bornstein in MLS it's his duty to make sure he has a long National Team career as well.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Hey Robo Bob coached Bornstein in MLS it's his duty to make sure he has a long National Team career as well.
    There's a lot of problems with Bradley, but I really worry about the lack of depth. When you lose Steve Cherundolo, the next best option should not be Jonathan Bornstein, or Spector, or Bocanegra on the Left flank.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Bornstein is done as a national team player but depth is a huge issue. Chandler not playing in the tournament didn't help. Ream should get better and I believe should have come on yesterday.

I wish I had a nickel for every time I've heard "Bornstein is done as a national team player." Better to blood some youngsters than play guys who you know are below mediocre.

I agree WMR. I'm convinced that Bornstein and Spector are the same player. They've just continued to suck for so long. I was so happy that Lichaj had finally proven himself as a reasonable alternative.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I agree WMR. I'm convinced that Bornstein and Spector are the same player. They've just continued to suck for so long. I was so happy that Lichaj had finally proven himself as a reasonable alternative.
    That is the big issue now that we didn't win. A lot of time was given to Cherundelo and Bocanegra who probably won't be part of the 2014 team. The back line going forward has to be Lichaj, Ream, Gonzalez and Chandler.

I don't know enough about the U 17 team, but who looks promising there that might help up top or provide some depth?

I don't know enough about the U 17 team, but who looks promising there that might help up top or provide some depth?
    Unfortunately, the people making decisions on that level felt that Neven Subotic wasn't good enough to be on the US Under-20 team. So he went to his Serbia, where he starts for the national team. He also started for Borussia Dortmund at age 18 and is a rising star on defense.

"The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

That is the big issue now that we didn't win. A lot of time was given to Cherundelo and Bocanegra who probably won't be part of the 2014 team. The back line going forward has to be Lichaj, Ream, Gonzalez and Chandler.

I agree that I'd like to see more youth on the back line. I'm not sure though that Cherundolo won't be around though. He's playing better now than he was 4 years ago.

More than anything, the problem is that guys like Chandler and Ream and Gonzalez haven't proven themselves to be significantly superior to the Bornsteins and Spectors of the world.

They each have potential, they each can (and probably will) be better, but so far only Lichaj has come close to showing on a club and national team level that he can be a difference maker. The other's have looked like fairly pedestrian replacements in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I agree that I'd like to see more youth on the back line. I'm not sure though that Cherundolo won't be around though. He's playing better now than he was 4 years ago.

More than anything, the problem is that guys like Chandler and Ream and Gonzalez haven't proven themselves to be significantly superior to the Bornsteins and Spectors of the world.

They each have potential, they each can (and probably will) be better, but so far only Lichaj has come close to showing on a club and national team level that he can be a difference maker. The other's have looked like fairly pedestrian replacements in my mind.
    Perhaps, but this would have been a great opportunity to develop them some more and really see what we have. Cherundolo will be 34 or 35 in 2014. Not to say he can't be effective, but he would certainly be bucking the trend so to speak. I think there is a good chance he'll be on the team, but I don't think you want to count on him as a 90 minute starter in every game. Chandler also seems to be a very similar style player on the right side and is obviously much much younger.

There were some positives from the tournament like Jozy, Bedoya and Adu all stepping up and Deuce was basically the man, but I wish I felt better about the team today than I do.

Perhaps, but this would have been a great opportunity to develop them some more and really see what we have. Cherundolo will be 34 or 35 in 2014. Not to say he can't be effective, but he would certainly be bucking the trend so to speak. I think there is a good chance he'll be on the team, but I don't think you want to count on him as a 90 minute starter in every game. Chandler also seems to be a very similar style player on the right side and is obviously much much younger.

There were some positives from the tournament like Jozy, Bedoya and Adu all stepping up and Deuce was basically the man, but I wish I felt better about the team today than I do.
    No I agree on all points. The good news is that especially in the first year of qualifying, there will be ample chances to bring in fresh players.

I also thought Goodson was better in the tournament than I expected. It would be great news if you had three "starter quality" guys in the central midfield, and three starter quality guys for the two outside backs. Then even in the case of injury, you're not going to see such a drop. It also allows you to keep a quality guy like Cherundolo on the roster because it's not as important that he go 90 minutes necessarily.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/new...nal-team-coach

Bob Bradley has been fired. I guess it depends on who replaces him, but a change was probably a good idea.

WMR celebrates!

Woo Hoo!!!!

Get us a foreign coach with some fresh ideas please. Need to scour our talent pool far and wide. NO MORE FREE RIDES.

Turn Off Ads?