Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Padres discussing moving in fences at PETCO

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Padres discussing moving in fences at PETCO

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...at-petco-park/

On Monday, Bud Black was asked what his stance was on moving in the PETCO Park fences.

“I think there’s room for discussion,” Black said, choosing his words carefully before taking a long pause and repeating himself. “I just think there’s room to talk about it in our park.”

Black didn’t expand on what he said, but he hasn’t been one to typically discuss the park’s dimensions, even to that extent.
    I kind of feel like, there are plenty of parks where the cheap homer is available. I kind of like knowing that pitching prevails out in San Diego. Would I want my home team to play there, no. But as a baseball fan of a team that only goes there 3 times a year, it's good for baseball.

Thoughts?
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Padres discussing moving in fences at PETCO

I didn't see anything there that indicated the Padres were discussing moving in the fences.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

The Reds need to discuss moving the fences BACK at GABP. I hate national writers referring to our park as a "bandbox." But they are absolutely right. It's embarrassing. And wholesale changes do not need to be made. There should be the exact same dimensions as Riverfront/Cinergy. They got CF right, just need to do the same down the lines and in the gaps. It really isn't much different than Riverfront/Cinergy, but it's different enough.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Can we get those fences moved in retroactively to our earlier series there? We easily deserved a few more dingers there.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

It is much easier to move fences in than it is to move fences back. You can move the fences in out in San Diego without making the place Yankee Stadium in the 20's.

Looking at last nights game when they played the Cardinals, there was nobody in the stands. The kind of game the Padres are playing now is, frankly, dull and boring. It has kind of been that way since the park opened. I think Petco is one of the nicer parks in the game but I almost feel they have to move the fences in a bit just to draw more fans to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Looking at last nights game when they played the Cardinals, there was nobody in the stands. The kind of game the Padres are playing now is, frankly, dull and boring. It has kind of been that way since the park opened. I think Petco is one of the nicer parks in the game but I almost feel they have to move the fences in a bit just to draw more fans to the game.
    The Padres built their team around the stadium they play in. Its a huge ball park and pitchers tend to thrive in that atmosphere. Moving in the fences wouldnt exactly be a bad thing seeing as I have seen some bombs one hop the wall there.

However even if they move the walls in they will need to build a better offensive ball club. Their lineup may be the worst in baseball. Heck if you think about it, that stadium is the only reason the Pads are successful at all.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Or to keep/attract any offensive talent that has power
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

They could try moving the fences in but leave the ability to move the fences back if they want to go back to how it currently is.

Fences on rails, move them in for your team at bat, out for the other team.

Lets get this done.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Or to keep/attract any offensive talent that has power
    That is sort of a double edged sword though. It is hard to attract or keep offensive talent because of that ball park. If a slugger had a choice of what park he wanted to play in, Petco park would be the least desirable place for him to go.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The Padres built their team around the stadium they play in. Its a huge ball park and pitchers tend to thrive in that atmosphere. Moving in the fences wouldnt exactly be a bad thing seeing as I have seen some bombs one hop the wall there.

However even if they move the walls in they will need to build a better offensive ball club. Their lineup may be the worst in baseball. Heck if you think about it, that stadium is the only reason the Pads are successful at all.
    "Built their team around" ... that's a good one. So, that's why they have the worst lineup in all of MLB and traded their only good hitter to the Red Sox. The Padres are a joke. They couldn't hit HRs playing in GABP. Their three hole and cleanup hitters are Brad Hawpe and Ryan Ludwick. Hawpe is beyond terrible. Ludwick's had a pretty good May, after an awful April, after being awful with the Padres ever since they traded for him last year. I think a slow-pitch softball pitcher could hold the Padres to under 10 runs.

Blitz, I failed to pick up on that originally. If they built their team around the ball park, that team would be built on speed and defense like many teams of the 80's were. Whitey Herzog would have a field day in that ball park. The team they have now is almost like a hodgepodge of players with no real identity.

Heck, they should just go all out and put astroturf in that stadium. Then I think they would have something going.

Blitz, I failed to pick up on that originally. If they built their team around the ball park, that team would be built on speed and defense like many teams of the 80's were. Whitey Herzog would have a field day in that ball park. The team they have now is almost like a hodgepodge of players with no real identity.

Heck, they should just go all out and put astroturf in that stadium. Then I think they would have something going.
    I don't know who he is, but the Padres GM should be fired. Just horrible construction of a team. They barely missed the playoffs last year. Way to capitalize on the team's success by trading away its only good hitter!

Oh well, screw the San Diego fans. They get to live in, you know, San Diego. They already have enough going for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I don't know who he is, but the Padres GM should be fired. Just horrible construction of a team. They barely missed the playoffs last year. Way to capitalize on the team's success by trading away its only good hitter!

Oh well, screw the San Diego fans. They get to live in, you know, San Diego. They already have enough going for them.
    Admittedly though they did get a stud prospect in return for Gonzalez. Yet that brings up another reason why the Padres GM should be fired. Why the heck is Anthony Rizzo not up right now with the Padres. He is only hitting .368 .441 OBP .724 SLG and a 1.165 OPS in AAA Tucson. I guess the Padres GM feels more comfortable with Brad Hawpe and his .641 OPS. Hawpes epic .295 OBP is greater than anything Rizzo can do.......

Gahh things like teams not calling up players that would be an obvious upgrade really annoy me.

Turn Off Ads?