Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: What would it take to get King Felix?

  1. #1
    Member 11larkin11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bellefontaine,OH
    Posts
    2,333

    What would it take to get King Felix?

    Not saying we should, because its questionable if he'd be on the block, as well as obvious financial concerns and his no trade clause. But just wondering what the package would have to be, knowing it would be gigantic.

    M's have Justin Smoak, but are trotting out Jack Cust with his current sub-.700 OPS at DH, although he was pretty good last year. They are also bare at 3B and LF, even though they're high on Peguero, he hasn't showed up yet. That puts Alonso, Frazier, and Francisco all out there. Brendan Ryan is their SS, so Cozart could be also in there. Also, we also have our pitchers that we can dangle if we want.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

    ---TRF

    "I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

    --Bronson Arroyo

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    -The Insider-
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,871

    Re: What would it take to get King Felix?

    I'd guess Yonder, Frazier, Francisco/Cozart, Leake/Wood, and Mes/Grandal.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,189

    Re: What would it take to get King Felix?

    Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Not saying we should, because its questionable if he'd be on the block, as well as obvious financial concerns and his no trade clause. But just wondering what the package would have to be, knowing it would be gigantic.

    M's have Justin Smoak, but are trotting out Jack Cust with his current sub-.700 OPS at DH, although he was pretty good last year. They are also bare at 3B and LF, even though they're high on Peguero, he hasn't showed up yet. That puts Alonso, Frazier, and Francisco all out there. Brendan Ryan is their SS, so Cozart could be also in there. Also, we also have our pitchers that we can dangle if we want.
    I don't think there's a team in baseball that would have enough to meet what I would hope the Mariners would expect in return for Felix. I think you would HAVE to include Votto AND Mes AND Hamilton/Cozart/or another SS that they love for them to even think about discussing it. Felix IS their franchise at this time and young enough to build around before he can even think about going to free agency.

    The equivilant would be us trading Joey Votto right now. How many people in baseball is there that would make you consider that? Maybe 5 (Lincecum, Johnson, Batista (and thats even a stretch, Hamilton) I mean Votto is one of the premier hitters right now but Felix is the premier pitcher in the American League.
    Last edited by Slyder; 05-25-2011 at 04:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

    Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"


  5. #4
    Member schroomytunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    wilmington n.c.
    Posts
    965

    Re: What would it take to get King Felix?

    Way too much! If I'm Walt I would be contacting the White Sox and inquiring about John Danks. Sure he's 0-7 but his numbers are good across the board and wouldn't cost more than say:

    Alonzo, D.Joseph, and PTBNL

  6. #5
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,492

    Re: What would it take to get King Felix?

    Imagine what it'd take to get Jay Bruce and then put another main prospect on top of it. At this pace, Hernandez will deserve to be in the Hall of Fame while in his early 30s. If the Reds want to find a way to obtain him without hurting the 25-man roster, they'd probably need to offer half their top-10 prospects. There's just no realistic way of making it happen, though.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    3,759

    Re: What would it take to get King Felix?

    Some people don't seem to get it. IF Seattle were to deal Felix, it wouldn't be for a guy like Votto. It would be for guys like Mes or Alonso so that they can rebuild and lower payroll.

  8. #7
    Member Oxilon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,133

    Re: What would it take to get King Felix?

    Are M's even interested in trading Felix? I feel as if this is just another case of the media making smoke where there's no fire. Trying their darndest to get Felix in a Red Sox or Yankees uni.
    That hit was plenty fair. Atleast by a quarter of an inch.
    -Steve Stone

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,259

    Re: What would it take to get King Felix?

    If I'm Walt I would be contacting the White Sox and inquiring about John Danks.
    I agree and have said it before. Great target.

    Mariners aren't trading Hernandez. Plus, you don't completely gut your farm system for 1 player, especially a pitcher.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    10,088

    Re: What would it take to get King Felix?

    Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I agree and have said it before. Great target.

    Mariners aren't trading Hernandez. Plus, you don't completely gut your farm system for 1 player, especially a pitcher.
    Agree and agree. My guess is Grandal would be the price for Danks.
    Go BLUE!!!

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,758

    Re: What would it take to get King Felix?

    Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    Way too much! If I'm Walt I would be contacting the White Sox and inquiring about John Danks. Sure he's 0-7 but his numbers are good across the board and wouldn't cost more than say:

    Alonzo, D.Joseph, and PTBNL
    Why don't you just go ahead and name that player.....

  12. #11
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,053

    Re: What would it take to get King Felix?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Are M's even interested in trading Felix? I feel as if this is just another case of the media making smoke where there's no fire. Trying their darndest to get Felix in a Red Sox or Yankees uni.
    They haven't came out and said so. But when you're that bad, and you need that many pieces; it's a matter of time until you have to sell off the one depreciating asset that you do have or at least entertain the thought in order to rebuild the ship and keep sailing as a healthy, profitable organization.

    They have attempted several times to build different rosters and teams around Felix and it has not came close to being a success. At some point in the near future if they cannot change it around there might be nothing left to do but see if they can get a King's ransom for Felix. Look at what Cleveland yielded for Bartolo Colon. A package like that or better could change the Mariners big league organization for the better part of a decade.

    I think they'll hold off as long as they can because he is special; but they could also take the old stance of "we have finished last with Felix, we can finish last without him"
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

  13. #12
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,053

    Re: What would it take to get King Felix?

    I don't think we'll go and acquire an ace. I was surprised the Reds tried to make a move for Cliff Lee last year or at least considered it from what I heard.

    But I think a guy like a Danks, a Gavin Floyd, a Chad Billingsley, a Mike Pelfrey, or an R.A Dickey might become available. No ace types. Just guys who can help you here and there for the price of mid-level prospects if they're on top of their game that those sellers don't want.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

  14. #13
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    16,181

    Re: What would it take to get King Felix?

    You basically have to guarantee that the Mariners will realize more value than they're giving up. Try, Bruce, Bailey, Mesoraco, Hamilton -- something along those lines
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  15. #14
    Member Reds/Flyers Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati USA
    Posts
    3,384

    Re: What would it take to get King Felix?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    I don't think we'll go and acquire an ace. I was surprised the Reds tried to make a move for Cliff Lee last year or at least considered it from what I heard.

    But I think a guy like a Danks, a Gavin Floyd, a Chad Billingsley, a Mike Pelfrey, or an R.A Dickey might become available. No ace types. Just guys who can help you here and there for the price of mid-level prospects if they're on top of their game that those sellers don't want.
    Then, really, what's the point of it all? We've seen what happens in the playoffs when you try to pit a No. 3 or No. 4 starter against a Roy Halladay, Cole Hamels, Tim Lincicum, Cliff Lee etc. It doesn't turn out good.

    Without a No. 1 starter, this team can't possibly win in the playoffs (IF they can even get there).

  16. #15
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,053

    Re: What would it take to get King Felix?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Then, really, what's the point of it all? We've seen what happens in the playoffs when you try to pit a No. 3 or No. 4 starter against a Roy Halladay, Cole Hamels, Tim Lincicum, Cliff Lee etc. It doesn't turn out good.

    Without a No. 1 starter, this team can't possibly win in the playoffs (IF they can even get there).
    Agree with you completely. Which is why I don't think the dream ends with us winning a World Series anytime soon.

    Our one hope is that Bailey or Cueto develop into that guy. I think Bailey *COULD* but what do I know? I remember Cliff Lee before he was Cliff Lee and he was no more impressive than Bailey. If one of these guys morphs like Lee did... then we have a shot possibly.

    They were banking mightily on Volquez being that TOR arm, and it doesn't look like thats going to ever pan out--first half of 2008 is getting longer and longer away.

    But who knows. Maybe Walt can figure something out.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25