15 41.67%
  • No

17 47.22%
  • Still to early to tell if one will be needed

4 11.11%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well Walt make a bold move

Re: Well Walt make a bold move

Honestly, once Dontrelle gets off the DL, I can see him getting called up. He has done great in Louisville and if he can continue that at the MLB level, then he could prove to be an upgrade over 3 out of our 5 SPs. I'd also like to see Cozart get the call to start at SS and see what he does. I think that we should make a deal to get a big piece, but I wouldn't trade the farm system without giving them a shot at the big league level.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mr. red View Post
    Honestly, once Dontrelle gets off the DL, I can see him getting called up. He has done great in Louisville and if he can continue that at the MLB level, then he could prove to be an upgrade over 3 out of our 5 SPs. I'd also like to see Cozart get the call to start at SS and see what he does. I think that we should make a deal to get a big piece, but I wouldn't trade the farm system without giving them a shot at the big league level.
    I am baffled as to why people think a pitcher who has been unable to do anything on the major league over the past 5 years and how 3-4 AAA starts shows he has anything....

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I am baffled as to why people think a pitcher who has been unable to do anything on the major league over the past 5 years and how 3-4 AAA starts shows he has anything....
    Because it has never been physical issue with him. When he's right he can be great but unfortunately for him, he's been battling his own mental demons for years now.

A lot of people are holding out hope that he can get past all of that stuff and return to form.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Because it has never been physical issue with him. When he's right he can be great but unfortunately for him, he's been battling his own mental demons for years now.

A lot of people are holding out hope that he can get past all of that stuff and return to form.
    I would say okay if it was a year or so..but it's been 5 and at this point you don't get it back. He had a nice brief career, but right now Leake is a much better choice.

I would say okay if it was a year or so..but it's been 5 and at this point you don't get it back. He had a nice brief career, but right now Leake is a much better choice.
    You might be right about Leake being the better choice, but the fact that it isn't all that clear cut leaves room to hope for Willis. Leake hasn't exactly been great or anything.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

The Reds never do much on the trade market. I don't see it happening. I expect the message to the fans to be that they are going to war with what they got.

Third place here we come! Woo-hoo!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    You might be right about Leake being the better choice, but the fact that it isn't all that clear cut leaves room to hope for Willis. Leake hasn't exactly been great or anything.
    I guess it depends on your expectations for your No. 5 starter. To me if my No.5 guy can give me 4 out 6 quality starts (6 innings/3 runs or fewer) I will take that everyday and twice on Sunday.

I guess it depends on your expectations for your No. 5 starter. To me if my No.5 guy can give me 4 out 6 quality starts (6 innings/3 runs or fewer) I will take that everyday and twice on Sunday.
    You don't draft #5 starters in the Top 8 of the MLB draft either dimwit

Leake has been AWFUL in the majors and the minors this season. How is he a better option? Ted Powers has the D-Train pitching to his capabilities and I think that he would do a good job at the ML level.

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    You don't draft #5 starters in the Top 8 of the MLB draft either dimwit
    No you draft quality guys which he is. How many No. 1 picks make their debut in the majors right away with no time in the minors and do as well as he did? He is a number 5 starter right now, in a year or two he will be a 2/3 guy, give us a ton of innings and be a very good pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. red View Post
    Leake has been AWFUL in the majors and the minors this season. How is he a better option? Ted Powers has the D-Train pitching to his capabilities and I think that he would do a good job at the ML level.
    4 out of his 6 starts this year were of 6 innings or more, 3 or fewer runs and less then 3 walks. Exactly how is that awful? D-Train hasn't produced on the major league level anywhere near what Leake has done over the past season or so in over 5 years. Yep that is whom I want on the mound for the Reds....

BAKER12

Masset deal was a steal, but not a big trade at the time

Willis's problem seems to always have been mental (anxiety disorder). He is young and I think people still look at those great years and think that if he gets his head on straight he could do some big things - perhaps even be an ace.

Quote Originally Posted by mu4103 View Post
    Willis's problem seems to always have been mental (anxiety disorder). He is young and I think people still look at those great years and think that if he gets his head on straight he could do some big things - perhaps even be an ace.
    But he has had 5 years to fix the problem and hasn't...

If the White Sox continue to struggle, maybe someone such as Jake Peavy would become available. They gave up a lot to get him so they might want quite a bit in return, and he has had injury issues the past year or two. But if people want Walt to go after an ace he may be a decent option. I'm not sure what his contract situation is right now though, so he may be too expensive. Just throwing it out there.

Turn Off Ads?