Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Wednesday 5/25/11 Minor-League Updates

Wednesday 5/25/11 Minor-League Updates

Tanner Robles had a nice bounce-back outing tonight for Dayton, except for the walks: 5 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 6 BB, 10 K. Dragons lead 3-1 after six. The big hit was a 2-run triple by Tucker Barnhart, who's now at .300.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wednesday 5/25/11 Minor-League Updates

Neftali Soto is 3-for-4 with two doubles and a HR (#3) for Carolina.

Theo Bowe (.379) also had a 2-run triple, his in a 4-run ninth, and Dayton won 7-1. Jamie Walczak and Drew Hayes threw four perfect innings in relief of Robles.

Carolina lost 5-4. Travis Webb had a rough go of it as a starter this year, but in four appearances since he was moved to the bullpen (including two innings tonight), he has thrown 11 innings and given up 1 run on 5 hits, with 18 strikeouts. Did they find something?

The Carolina Mudcats have not won a series since July 22-26 of last year. That is 18 consecutive series losses.

It is good to have Soto back in the line up. Daryl Thompson will try his luck tonight.

Since coming off the DL Soto is looking real good this year. Here's his line...

G AB R H HR RBI Avg. SLG OPS
    14 50 8 16 3 6 .320 680 1.013

He's at the average age for a AA player at 23 now and is repeating his 2nd year at AA. I think his value has decreased some since his move to 1st base this year. If he could play 3rd base his value would be higher. If he continues to hit like this anybody think he will see AAA this year? Also does he move back into the top 10 prospect list?

Soto's actually 22 and is in his first year at AA after 2 years at High A ball.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    The Carolina Mudcats have not won a series since July 22-26 of last year. That is 18 consecutive series losses.

It is good to have Soto back in the line up. Daryl Thompson will try his luck tonight.
    Did not know that. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Soto's actually 22 and is in his first year at AA after 2 years at High A ball.
    My bad on the errors. Did the math before coffee the kicked in today.

Just wished the kid had stuck it out at 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Since coming off the DL Soto is looking real good this year. Here's his line...

G AB R H HR RBI Avg. SLG OPS
    14 50 8 16 3 6 .320 680 1.013

He's at the average age for a AA player at 23 now and is repeating his 2nd year at AA. I think his value has decreased some since his move to 1st base this year. If he could play 3rd base his value would be higher. If he continues to hit like this anybody think he will see AAA this year? Also does he move back into the top 10 prospect list?
    Presumably he was moved to 1B (and even tried at catcher) because he couldn't cut it defensively at 3B.

While I am excited by his early SSS success, given his position (1B) I'd like to see him OPS over .800 for a full season (or at least half of one) before I move him back onto the Top 10 list. While still young with plenty of time to improve, Soto hasn't done that since he was in A ball 3 years ago. He's got to do better than that to be considered a serious prospect at 1B.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    My bad on the errors. Did the math before coffee the kicked in today.

Just wished the kid had stuck it out at 3rd.
    I wish he'd been able to play 3rd too. Question now may be how he is in LF.

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    That's just remarkable. Pathetic, but remarkable.

I wonder if all these signings lately of veteran minor-leaguers have been made, at least to some extent, with the intent of winning a few more games in Carolina.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    That's just remarkable. Pathetic, but remarkable.

I wonder if all these signings lately of veteran minor-leaguers have been made, at least to some extent, with the intent of winning a few more games in Carolina.
    Walt said their focus right now was on making Carolina better. He wants them to make a second-half run.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Walt said their focus right now was on making Carolina better. He wants them to make a second-half run.
    And finish in last place by 5 games instead of 20? They've dug themselves a hole I don't see them getting out of anytime soon.

AA splits the season in half. You can go winless the entire first half of the season, but if you have the best record in the second half you get a playoff spot, and vice versa.

Turn Off Ads?