Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Buster Posey injured

Buster Posey injured

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6592212

Plays at the plate are exciting but I don't think there is anything special about guys getting blind-sided. Maybe it's a bit reactionary, but I wouldn't mind if MLB imposed a catcher interference rule for blocking the plate combined with an automatic out for guys who try to bowl over a catcher when they have a clear path.

For all MLB's faults, at least they got it right with the DH. Maybe this could be a new rule.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Buster Posey injured

If he is injured, wouldn't Ramon Hernandez make a nice fill-in for them? Moving him would allow us to bring up Mes, with Hannigan getting the bulk of playing time while Mes acquits himself with the major leagues.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

If you want protect the catcher you can't allow them to block the plate. If you give the runner a clear path to slide to you won't have collisions at the plate. It would be very similar to any other play at 2nd or 3rd.

Did he have the ball?

If he did and he was blocking the plate then he's making the legal decision (as a player) to block it.

If he didn't have the ball and he gets smacked down then he's getting what he deserves because he's obstructing the plate.

The real point is the catchers massive amount of gear and the need to score/defend the potential run, the more gear a catcher has donned through the years has increased the amount of incidents of collision.

Comes with the territory, HBP are at an all time high, because of body armor. baseball is already a low impact contact sport 75% of the time, I can't see them regulating this out of the game, it pales in comparison to the roughshod of the late 19th century and a vestige of that still is (and always will be) in the game.

The only time you hear about changing the rules is when it happens to a name guy.

Posey made the choice to block the plate, Cousins made the choice to make contact. Both players were doing what was within their established rights and it has been this way for ages in baseball. A knee jerk rule change strikes me as the wrong move.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Posey made the choice to block the plate, Cousins made the choice to make contact. Both players were doing what was within their established rights and it has been this way for ages in baseball. A knee jerk rule change strikes me as the wrong move.
    I've watched the clip a few times and Posey wasn't really blocking the plate, IMO. His left leg was in front of the plate, right until the ball arrives, when he pulls it forward (unblocking the plate) and turns towards the runner (starting to block I guess...he missed the ball) and Cousins head-spears him the chest.
    The point is: Cousins had a clear slide route to the plate, either straight in or wide (to avoid a tag) and went for the collision.
    It's all very fast, but that's how I saw it.
    This one's mostly on Cousins, IMO.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I've watched the clip a few times and Posey wasn't really blocking the plate, IMO. His left leg was in front of the plate, right until the ball arrives, when he pulls it forward (unblocking the plate) and turns towards the runner (starting to block I guess...he missed the ball) and Cousins head-spears him the chest.
    The point is: Cousins had a clear slide route to the plate, either straight in or wide (to avoid a tag) and went for the collision.
    It's all very fast, but that's how I saw it.
    This one's mostly on Cousins, IMO.
    I think Cousins had a potential slide route, but at the speed of that play he most likely thought he needed to dislodge the ball. I don't really fault him for that. In the end, he scored the run and the injury was an unfortunate side effect. This was a meaningful play in a game that counts in the standings, not Rose barreling over Fosse.

Put me in the camp that says position players should not be allowed to obstruct the bag, period, with or without the ball. That goes for catchers just the same as it does infielders who drop a knee. Baseball is not, nor should be, a contact sport. Blocking the bag simply demands the runner to induce contact -- contact nobody is prepared for.

I say if a runner is not given a clear path, he should be safe automatically. And if a runner initiates contact despite having a clear path, he's should be out automatically. That would eliminate so many injuries at home plate and when turning the double play. I know those events are currently part of the, but I don't think they're necessary nor add value on balance.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Posey with broken bone in ankle...per ESPN (tv).

Link available

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/s...e=MLBHeadlines
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Put me in the camp that says position players should not be allowed to obstruct the bag, period, with or without the ball. That goes for catchers just the same as it does infielders who drop a knee. Baseball is not, nor should be, a contact sport. Blocking the bag simply demands the runner to induce contact -- contact nobody is prepared for.

I say if a runner is not given a clear path, he should be safe automatically. And if a runner initiates contact despite having a clear path, he's should be out automatically. That would eliminate so many injuries at home plate and when turning the double play. I know those events are currently part of the, but I don't think they're necessary nor add value on balance.
    We should have all players wear dresses, and if they get them dirty, they are kicked out if the game.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    We should have all players wear dresses, and if they get them dirty, they are kicked out if the game.
    Yep. Wouldn't want baseball to be about playing baseball instead of tackling each other. Heck, why even tag the guy, right? Let's just say you can tackle him and if gets "down" before he gets the back he loses the down, err is out?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Yep. Wouldn't want baseball to be about playing baseball instead of tackling each other. Heck, why even tag the guy, right? Let's just say you can tackle him and if gets "down" before he gets the back he loses the down, err is out?
    Collisions have been part of the game since the 19th century. It isn't like 757690 is suggesting we turn this into Arena Football.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Collisions have been part of the game since the 19th century. It isn't like 757690 is suggesting we turn this into Arena Football.
    I know. You'd think in over 100 years we would have figured out that maybe it's not a good idea for one guy wearing no protect to hurl himself in to a guy who is facing the other direction.

I know. You'd think in over 100 years we would have figured out that maybe it's not a good idea for one guy wearing no protect to hurl himself in to a guy who is facing the other direction.
    Actually there have been studies and theories based upon worse collisions without pads and helmets than with pads and helmets. The theory is that pads make collisions harder and more violent because you feel more protected. Your not going to launch yourself at a defender if you lead with an uncovered head. That is unless Farney tells you to!

Turn Off Ads?