Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 112

Thread: Buster Posey injured

  1. #61
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,801

    Re: Buster Posey injured

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    One of the most unforgettable plays from the 1990 Reds:

    http://youtu.be/fLTmd4Ni974

    It still makes me smile.

    Edit: I'm an oaf! Can someone please tell me how to embed a video? Thanks
    Oh, the horror!
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #62
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Buster Posey injured

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    One of the most unforgettable plays from the 1990 Reds:

    http://youtu.be/fLTmd4Ni974

    It still makes me smile.

    Edit: I'm an oaf! Can someone please tell me how to embed a video? Thanks
    Man that place was goin nuts. That's awesome.

  4. #63
    Time is the Revelator. LvJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    7,281

    Re: Buster Posey injured

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    One of the most unforgettable plays from the 1990 Reds:

    http://youtu.be/fLTmd4Ni974

    It still makes me smile.

    Edit: I'm an oaf! Can someone please tell me how to embed a video? Thanks
    That's baseball

    at the epic high five fail
    Hide your power alleys; Hide your wife

  5. #64
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19,087

    Re: Buster Posey injured

    Going after the catcher rather than going after the plate should be illegal.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  6. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,179

    Re: Buster Posey injured

    Going after the catcher rather than going after the plate should be illegal.
    I agree, in theory. But one cannot assume that the play is always an either-or. In fact, it would generally be very difficult to know that by going through the catcher the player is not going for the plate.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  7. #66
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19,087

    Re: Buster Posey injured

    Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I agree, in theory. But one cannot assume that the play is always an either-or. In fact, it would generally be very difficult to know that by going through the catcher the player is not going for the plate.
    It could be very simple for the ump though. The catcher is not allowed to block the plate and the runner has to slide/go for the plate.

    Collisions are still going to happen because of the bang, bang nature of close plays and ultimately it would be up to the judgement of an ump but the scenario at home would no longer be one in which a collision was inevitable.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  8. #67
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,678

    Re: Buster Posey injured

    Why stop at home plate collisions. MLB should use the double width bag at 1b like they use in youth baseball, also. Heart guards and facemasks on the helmets. Pink bats all year, no diving for balls because of possible collisions with the ground. Who's got treats this game?
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  9. #68
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    16,092

    Re: Buster Posey injured

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Why stop at home plate collisions. MLB should use the double width bag at 1b like they use in youth baseball, also. Heart guards and facemasks on the helmets. Pink bats all year, no diving for balls because of possible collisions with the ground. Who's got treats this game?
    If violence is exciting, maybe we should have more of it. Let's go back to the rule where a player who touched a ball while off a bag was out -- dodge ball style. That would be fun!

    Oh, and let's take away those silly looking helmets batters wear. Be a man, wear a regular cap.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  10. #69
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,678

    Re: Buster Posey injured

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If violence is exciting, maybe we should have more of it. Let's go back to the rule where a player who touched a ball while off a bag was out -- dodge ball style. That would be fun!

    Oh, and let's take away those silly looking helmets batters wear. Be a man, wear a regular cap.
    I'm guessing you do not watch or enjoy football? Hockey? Basketball and hard fouls that happen within the flow of the game? Honestly, I think the idea of making a rule about no collisions in MLB is at the level of suggesting that t-ball soft bouncy balls should be used so that pitchers don't hurt batters in case one gets away. And thinking that these types of things are a natural result of the game is not akin to suggesting that NO safety measures are needed or is not "macho," as you are trying to turn the argument toward.

    Further, I am not understanding where you have arrived at an argument that those who see this as a part of the way the game is played and should be continued is because they are excited by "violence." Strawman, extra straw.
    Last edited by traderumor; 05-28-2011 at 12:10 AM.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  11. #70
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,693

    Re: Buster Posey injured

    Isn't part of the problem that a lot of young catchers don't know how to block the plate correctly? I know they eliminate this issue from certain ranks in baseball and some players first experience with truely blocking the plate starts in the minor league.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  12. #71
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19,087

    Re: Buster Posey injured

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I'm guessing you do not watch or enjoy football? Hockey? Basketball and hard fouls that happen within the flow of the game? Honestly, I think the idea of making a rule about no collisions in MLB is at the level of suggesting that t-ball soft bouncy balls should be used so that pitchers don't hurt batters in case one gets away. And thinking that these types of things are a natural result of the game is not akin to suggesting that NO safety measures are needed or is not "macho," as you are trying to turn the argument toward.

    Further, I am not understanding where you have arrived at an argument that those who see this as a part of the way the game is played and should be continued is because they are excited by "violence." Strawman, extra straw.
    It's much more a logical extension of your argument than a straw man. There is reasonable risk associated with maintaining the integrity of high calibre competition and then there is gratuitous risk that is unnecessary. Collisions at home are unnecessary. If the argument is that they add essential excitement to the game, then MLB damaging the game by no increasing unnecessary risk.

    Eliminating collisions at home would require a simple sentence in the rule book.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  13. #72
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,682

    Re: Buster Posey injured

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Did he have the ball?

    If he did and he was blocking the plate then he's making the legal decision (as a player) to block it.

    If he didn't have the ball and he gets smacked down then he's getting what he deserves because he's obstructing the plate.

    The real point is the catchers massive amount of gear and the need to score/defend the potential run, the more gear a catcher has donned through the years has increased the amount of incidents of collision.

    Comes with the territory, HBP are at an all time high, because of body armor. baseball is already a low impact contact sport 75% of the time, I can't see them regulating this out of the game, it pales in comparison to the roughshod of the late 19th century and a vestige of that still is (and always will be) in the game.
    Yep. All part of the game. Ask Ray Fosse.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  14. #73
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,998

    Re: Buster Posey injured

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If violence is exciting, maybe we should have more of it. Let's go back to the rule where a player who touched a ball while off a bag was out -- dodge ball style. That would be fun!

    Oh, and let's take away those silly looking helmets batters wear. Be a man, wear a regular cap.
    I don't think violence is exciting. I don't like to watch home plate collisions. But I don't want to take away a runners option of scoring, which is the most essential element of the game. I want players to be able do the most they can to win.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  15. #74
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,998

    Re: Buster Posey injured

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    It could be very simple for the ump though. The catcher is not allowed to block the plate and the runner has to slide/go for the plate.

    Collisions are still going to happen because of the bang, bang nature of close plays and ultimately it would be up to the judgement of an ump but the scenario at home would no longer be one in which a collision was inevitable.
    Right now the rule is that the runner cannot run over the catcher unless the catcher is blocking the plate. This gives the catcher the option to block the plate and expect a collision, ala Mick Scoscia, or stand in front of the plate and do a sweep tag ala Johnny Bench.

    I see no problem in giving the catcher the option of being run over or doing a sweep tag. If he gets hurt, that was his choice. What's wrong with that?
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  16. #75
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: Buster Posey injured

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Right now the rule is that the runner cannot run over the catcher unless the catcher is blocking the plate. This gives the catcher the option to block the plate and expect a collision, ala Mick Scoscia, or stand in front of the plate and do a sweep tag ala Johnny Bench.

    I see no problem in giving the catcher the option of being run over or doing a sweep tag. If he gets hurt, that was his choice. What's wrong with that?
    Nahhh, that would make too much sense.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25