Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Reed Collision at the Plate

Jeff Reed Collision at the Plate

In relation to the Buster Posey issue, I'm having difficulty pinpointing a collision that has been described to me involving Jeff Reed and Eric Yelding. Mike Piazza referred to it as the worst home-plate collision he ever saw. In April of 1991, there was an infamous game in which Rob Dibble threw behind Yelding's back, instigating a brawl, and was ejected; but I can't connect that incident to the collision. I'm told that Bagwell singled softly to Paul O'Neill in right field and Yelding clobbered Reed on the play at the plate--allegedly because Reed had been caught giving the "flip" sign to throw at a Houston batter.

Anyway, does anyone have any recollection of such an incident? My google search has gotten me nowhere. Thanks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jeff Reed Collision at the Plate

Lonnie, might have been this game.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-...d=199104110CN5

Dibble only pitched .2 of an inning in the 9th with Don Carman coming in to finish the game. Dibble was also credited with a wild pitch in that game which lends credence to the statement he threw behind Yeldings back.

Don't see any video to speak of, but the box score matches up with what you've described.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Wheeler View Post
    In relation to the Buster Posey issue, I'm having difficulty pinpointing a collision that has been described to me involving Jeff Reed and Eric Yelding. Mike Piazza referred to it as the worst home-plate collision he ever saw. In April of 1991, there was an infamous game in which Rob Dibble threw behind Yelding's back, instigating a brawl, and was ejected; but I can't connect that incident to the collision. I'm told that Bagwell singled softly to Paul O'Neill in right field and Yelding clobbered Reed on the play at the plate--allegedly because Reed had been caught giving the "flip" sign to throw at a Houston batter.

Anyway, does anyone have any recollection of such an incident? My google search has gotten me nowhere. Thanks.

From the NYT

CINCINNATI (AP) -- The Cincinnati Reds fell out of first place for the first time in more than a year and turned nasty about it, losing to Houston and starting a bench-clearing brawl on a behind-the-back fastball by Rob Dibble.

After Astros reliever Curt Schilling hit a run-scoring single in his first big league at-bat in the ninth inning, Dibble threw his next pitch behind Eric Yelding's belt. Yelding charged the mound, threw his helmet and hit Dibble in the left shoulder, and then tried to tackle him as both benches and bullpens joined the fracas. Dibble and Yelding were ejected. Dodgers 4, Braves 2

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...110CIN1991.htm

STROS 9TH: DIBBLE REPLACED HATCHER (PITCHING); BENZINGER
    REPLACED CHARLTON (PLAYING LF); Bagwell struck out; Rhodes
    singled to right; Rhodes stole second; McLemore struck out;
    Schilling singled [Rhodes scored]; Dibble threw a wild pitch
    [Schilling to second]; IT'S A HOCKEY GAME!!!-EJECTIONS;
    CARMAN REPLACED DIBBLE (PITCHING); RAMIREZ BATTED FOR YELDING;
    Ramirez popped to third; 1 R, 2 H, 0 E, 1 LOB. Astros 4, Reds 1.
    The following year they had this battle

YouTube - ‪1992 highlights HOUSTON ASTROS CINCINNATI REDS brawl‬‏

That's the game I've been looking at. But I can't quite corroborate the collision. For one thing, Yelding scored on a single by Finley, not Bagwell. (Of course, Piazza's recollection may not be perfect, especially since he wasn't involved in the game.) Also, if the collision was that bad, it's surprising that neither was removed from the game afterwards (until Yelding was ejected). On the other hand, the circumstantial evidence makes some sense. If, indeed, Yelding had leveled him earlier when he scored (and the hit was to right field), that could account for Reed telling Dibble to nail him later. I've read some newspaper accounts of that story, though, and none mentions a collision.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

1992 Baseball Tonight. If anyone has a time machine, can I borrow it?
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    1992 Baseball Tonight. If anyone has a time machine, can I borrow it?
    No kidding. It was just straightforward news reporting with a small splash of announcer/commentator energy. So enjoyable.

Patrick/Olbermann and eventually Stu Scott, while entertaining at the time, were in retrospect the early stages of the decline to the fever-paced, nothing but homer, web-gems and innane commentary by ex-players style program it is today.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Funny, but I was google searching for this collision too when the Buster Posey story first came out a few days ago.

I remember the Norm Charlton-Mike Scoscia collision and the Yelding-Reed one was about the same on the Richter scale.

I swear we've talked about it in RZ here before but I'll be darned if I can find anything about it either in here or out about teh intrawebs. I looked and looked (or googled and googled) and couldn't find anything.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I was at the game in 1992, if i can remember correctly I think Harnisch threw behind Reggie Sanders, then Sanders charged the mound and benches cleared. I was in RF at the time and @ 20 yrs old, and I remember Riverfront going crazy!!!!

It probably can be found through baseball-reference using the Gamelogs feature. You can look up Yelding's games, sort by opponent & see all of the Cincy games. Then just go through the box scores to see. I've looked at a few of them, but haven't come up with the exact circumstances where Yelding & Reed were both in the game. Each box does give you the game recap as well. Tedious, but probably will find it.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Funny, but I was google searching for this collision too when the Buster Posey story first came out a few days ago.

I remember the Norm Charlton-Mike Scoscia collision and the Yelding-Reed one was about the same on the Richter scale.

I swear we've talked about it in RZ here before but I'll be darned if I can find anything about it either in here or out about teh intrawebs. I looked and looked (or googled and googled) and couldn't find anything.
    So you do remember it and can at least verify that it happened? That's helpful. Remember any of the particulars?

And thanks to everybody who has jumped in. I'll be out of the pocket today, but will check in tonight.

Maybe Piazza was wrong? There appears to have been a nasty one involving Dave Hollins and Jeff Reed.

Dave Hollins was visibly shaken after colliding with Jeff Reed and inflicting a nasty wound on the right side of the Colorado catcher's face.

"You could see bone through his cheek," shortstop Neifi Perez said.

Hollins said he was only trying to knock the ball loose and, since he dove into the plate headfirst, wasn't sure how his spikes could have hit Reed in the face.
    http://articles.latimes.com/1998/jun/08/sports/sp-57898

In the oral history of the game, it is/was not unusual for players, et. al. to get the details wrong in a story they told.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    In the oral history of the game, it is/was not unusual for players, et. al. to get the details wrong in a story they told.
    Fans too. I've been telling people for years I saw Darryl Strawberry hit 3 HRs, and narrowly miss a 4th, in a game for the Yanks against the Orioles. I checked the box score recently and saw that he only hit 2. Weird how the memory can deceive.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Wheeler View Post
    So you do remember it and can at least verify that it happened? That's helpful. Remember any of the particulars?

And thanks to everybody who has jumped in. I'll be out of the pocket today, but will check in tonight.
    I know it was Yelding when he was on the Astros. I'm pretty sure it was Jeff Reed. It was at Riverfront and I think a night game but that I'm not sure of.

I always thought of it in conjunction with the Charlton-Scoscia collision in terms of the runner absolutely blasting the catcher. When all this Buster Posey talk started, it came to mind immediately.

If there is a good Astros board, maybe they remember.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Amen, brother. Actually, Piazza's recollections are uncommonly accurate--owing, in part, to the fact that his career is not far removed. Working with players from the fifties and sixties, I've had occasions where I've run a scenario past five or so players who were involved in a game or event, and all five told a different story. And if there was a written account, you'd be lucky if it matched any of the five. Nowadays, the game logs on baseballreference.com make it infinitely easier; but not every game of interest was played in the major leagues.

Turn Off Ads?