Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Buster Posey injured

Re: Buster Posey injured

At some point, don't we remind ourselves that these players make gobs of money to play a game? Surely some danger is part of that price.

Ask 100 men if they would take $400k a year to play professional baseball knowing full well the risks involved and I suspect the you'd get 90-something affirmatives.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6621135

I don't like the way the Giants are handling this one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6621135

I don't like the way the Giants are handling this one bit.
    Those comments were definitely out of line by Sabean.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

If this was Eli Whiteside and not Buster Posey, Sabean wouldn't be as angry and there would be much less hubbub.

Sad, but true.

It's his perrogative, but I'm suprised as well that Posey isn't returning Cousin's call.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    If this was Eli Whiteside and not Buster Posey, Sabean wouldn't be as angry and there would be much less hubbub.

Sad, but true.
    Yep, the time to perhaps shut up is fast approaching.

One of my favorite Jim Baker pieces covered this years ago, tongue planted firmly in cheek
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...che=1307114812

The Home Plate Collision

As Entertainment: In the NFL (Note to editor: It's a football league--not sure what the letters stand for, however), collisions are routine. In fact, more collisions occur on one NFL play than they do in a month of major league baseball. Yet when some foolhardy baserunner attempts to bowl over the catcher and knock the ball loose in the process, it's far more exciting than 99% of the collisions that happen in football. The thought of a man running headlong into a fully-padded guardian of the realm--well, it's damn near something worthy of Shakespeare. What is more, it's a manly act. You might notice that all of the other activities discussed here are a little...well, how shall I say...? Wimpy. The bunt is just tapping the ball lightly with the bat like a debutante might if she could be pressed into learning the game. The hit-and-run is a diversionary attack rather than a frontal assault. The sacrifice is, although seemingly noble in concept, a concession to very low expectations. The stolen base is getting an extra base without benefit of muscling one's way to it.

The home plate collision, though--that's the act of heroes. Ever since running into an outfield wall became a walk in the park thanks to the installation of padding, hurling one's body at the catcher is the last refuge of the player for whom reckless abandonment is a way of life. It is the last, true act of courage left to the baseballer.

As Functional Tool: But does it work? How often does a baserunner successfully separate a catcher from the ball by frontally assaulting him? I'm asking because I don't know. My guess is that it's not worth the risk. Catchers aren't built like you and I. On top of that, their facades bristle with armor. If a runner can arrive at the same time as the ball and nail the catcher in the act of fielding the throw, then maybe he can affect the outcome. If, though, the ball is already securely in the catcher's womb-like glove, then it's a fool who impales himself on that particular fortress. Never mind that impeding a runner's path to the plate is actually illegal, though the rule is widely ignored.

Gruesome Home Plate Collision Reawakens Nation’s Love Affair With Baseball

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/ar...ions-lo,20657/
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post

Sad, but true.
    Astros catcher got ran over and hurt last week but we haven't heard much about that.

"Believe me, we've talked to (former catcher Mike) Matheny about how this game works
    Brian Sabean

To me as a catcher I know the next time I get the ball I'm going to stick it to him.

"You make those notes as a catcher."
    Mike Matheny

So essentially the GM of a team who just had one of their fans beaten to near death.....is calling for revenge against Cousins.....as well as throwing fuel on the fire for the hatred of Cousins, who is now receiving death threats.

Cousins home and family by the way? San Francisco.

If this were the NFL or NBA.....you'd be looking at a 6 or 7 digit fine and suspension. Hideous.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

An interesting article on Sabean's take - or lack thereof - on home plate collisions in the past.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=14128
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Brian Sabean has lost his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    An interesting article on Sabean's take - or lack thereof - on home plate collisions in the past.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=14128
    That is completely fantastic. Thanks for the heads up.

-The Insider-

I know Scott Cousins and have watched him play. He is a hard player and a great guy. I really, really feel bad for Cuz now. He is getting death threats.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Gruesome Home Plate Collision Reawakens Nation’s Love Affair With Baseball

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/ar...ions-lo,20657/
    Another win for The Onion.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?